2024 F1 Discussions

Sainz did say after the race that the natural line is to drift left, and yeah Perez was better placed to avoid the accident. Stewards declared it a racing incident... very costly for Red Bull. Shame they didn't cut to Horner on the pit wall when it happened. In fact come to think of it, I don't remember any pitwall shots.

It wasn't clear cut, and Sainz did inch left a bit. But Perez was half a car behind and had loads of track to the left of him. Definitely both somewhat at fault. But I'm placing slightly more on Perez.
Sainz did say after the race that the natural line is to drift left, and yeah Perez was better placed to avoid the accident. Stewards declared it a racing incident... very costly for Red Bull. Shame they didn't cut to Horner on the pit wall when it happened. In fact come to think of it, I don't remember any pitwall shots.
Yup, that's the way I saw it. At the end of the day, Checo could've easily avoided the accident if he had reacted to Sainz's movement. But his racers' sense didn't detect the Ferrari inching in on him for whatever reason.

This video gives a detailed breakdown of the crash.

I agree @imagwai, @Aquagraph, and @Mspeedster. Racing incident that Perez was in a better position to avoid.

Also, if I recall correctly, Perez complained about Norris holding him up following a pit sequence (I think Perez was chasing down Piastri and Leclerc). If so, that is a bit rich coming from the "Minister of Defense" (as he was called by his teammate in 2021).

I agree @imagwai, @Aquagraph, and @Mspeedster. Racing incident that Perez was in a better position to avoid.

Also, if I recall correctly, Perez complained about Norris holding him up following a pit sequence (I think Perez was chasing down Piastri and Leclerc). If so, that is a bit rich coming from the "Minister of Defense" (as he was called by his teammate in 2021).
Indeed. 😆

Will be funny if Perez form continues and Max needs his help to win the WDC!

Haven't watched the videos but one thing that struck me as a bit odd while watching, is that in the collision, the Ferrari rotated to the left very quickly, which would only really happen if there was some sort of force causing that rotation...., ie a counter-force to the acceleration, off-centre to the centre of mass of the car;
That force would only really come from the Red Bull's front wheel pulling at the Ferrari's rear wheel. Which would probably be caused by Perez losing drive very slightly, maybe he was changing gear at the wrong moment, or took his foot off the gas just slightly as the wheels "interlocked".

It wasn't clear cut, and Sainz did inch left a bit. But Perez was half a car behind and had loads of track to the left of him. Definitely both somewhat at fault. But I'm placing slightly more on Perez.
I agree, felt Perez could have given up the spot and overtaken on the next lap--he had the pace to do it. Feel like it was kind of a repeat of Max and Lando in Austria--Max could have given a little more space but didn't and it cost him...