TAG Heuer Connected- Your Reactions

True, but I notice pixelation on my Apple Watch in photos that I don't notice on the wrist
It's surprising how bad the Apple Watch display is in photos, can only capture it under certain light but yea I similarly can't really find any pixelation visible on the wrist, it's definitely sufficiently high DPI, and I'd imagine the Connected will be fine too, some of the ultra high resolution offerings from Samsung and co offer no discernible benefit.

Interesting; mine is still in transit. FedEx had a "Shipment exception" while in transit on its East Coast Hub, so hopefully tomorrow.

Update: I'm kinda tempted. The more I see the pictures, the more it grows on me, and I like the mechanical option in a couple of years.

Hubert, please post your opinions when it lands.

I absolutely will. I view it this way.... if I am willing to spend roughly the same amount of money on a TH Quartz just for its looks, then this is a nice alternative. Especially, because I've always been tempted to try a MOTO 360, but was dissuaded by its "flat tire" and overall design, so to me this is worth it. I am hoping the "Connected" will continue to receive applications from TH and updates from Google for the "2-year" period, and that the battery will not degrade to the point it that it becomes a paper weight. Finally, instead of trading it for the mechanical watch that was shown on the announcement, I wish TH gives us the option to trade it in and pay a fee for the newer model, or gives us a credit towards a different TH watch of our choice.

I found images of one unboxing (NOT MINE):

http://www.androidheadlines.com/201...t-look-images-of-the-tag-heuer-connected.html
TAG-Heuer-Connected-31.jpg
TAG-Heuer-Connected-4.jpg
TAG-Heuer-Connected-8.jpg
TAG-Heuer-Connected-9.jpg
TAG-Heuer-Connected-6.jpg
TAG-Heuer-Connected-2.jpg
TAG-Heuer-Connected-5.jpg

Interesting; mine is still in transit. FedEx had a "Shipment exception" while in transit on its East Coast Hub, so hopefully tomorrow.

I often get this message from shippers; you can translate shipment exception to procrastination.

By the way, if I do get one, you will be to blame.

👍 I'm looking forward to getting it tomorrow. I will try to post some initial impressions, followed by a more detailed review over the weekend.

👍 I'm looking forward to getting it tomorrow. I will try to post some initial impressions, followed by a more detailed review over the weekend.
Looking forward to it

I'd be curious to know how far the deployment clasp goes up the strap; this might be an issue for people with small wrists.

I work in IT, I'm surrounded by gadgets and software, and personally, I prefer the analogue experience, it is a constant reminder of how much we rely on technology to do things for us.

I think that with a smartwatch there's a danger of the watch wearing you, it beeps, it flashes, it vibrates, you react when it wants you to, it craves attention.

I like to be in control of my time, a connected smartwatch would negate this, in my mind there is no reason to have this type of watch unless you desire to have a lifestyle that is underpinned by consumption of digital content.

It's all in the name 'CONNECTED', and I am really happy being disconnected.

Do yourself a favor, one day soon, make a conscious decision to liberate yourself from your smartphone for one day, or a weekend, judge your reliance on technology by the level of anxiety you feel and then see if you still want a smartwatch as it will only compound what I see as an already worrying trend in technology dependence.

Sean

Certainly a 'Connected/Smart' watch is not for everyone. However, I am trying to look at it with a fresh perspective, in order to embrace what it has to offer. No doubt, like all first generations it will have shortcomings, but it is clear TH have big plans for this new line; according to this article:
"[Biver] predicted that in the next two years, 10 to 20 percent of the brand’s watch sales will consist of smartwatches — never a majority of sales, but a large enough portion to make smartwatches a substantial sector of the businesses." On that same article it also states that even "Breitling has revealed plans to launch its own smartwatch on Dec. 16 in Manhattan."

Time will tell if their plans become reality. But what I hope is that these offerings don't flop, because having choices is important. As it foments competition and ultimately the consumer wins. 😀

I work in IT, I'm surrounded by gadgets and software, and personally, I prefer the analogue experience, it is a constant reminder of how much we rely on technology to do things for us.

I think that with a smartwatch there's a danger of the watch wearing you, it beeps, it flashes, it vibrates, you react when it wants you to, it craves attention.

I like to be in control of my time, a connected smartwatch would negate this, in my mind there is no reason to have this type of watch unless you desire to have a lifestyle that is underpinned by consumption of digital content.

It's all in the name 'CONNECTED', and I am really happy being disconnected.

Do yourself a favor, one day soon, make a conscious decision to liberate yourself from your smartphone for one day, or a weekend, judge your reliance on technology by the level of anxiety you feel and then see if you still want a smartwatch as it will only compound what I see as an already worrying trend in technology dependence.

Sean
You raise some really good points Sean. I guess some would argue that wearing any watch starts to rule your life because it's a constant reminder of managing your life to a schedule. Not sure I really control my time, Smartwatch or not.

What I admire about Jack Heuer was his willingness to mix the classic with new tech. This watch is far less shocking than the 1975 Chronosplit.

Will it flop? Succeed? Don't know- but you only learn by being in the game, which TAG Heuer now is.

What I admire about Jack Heuer was his willingness to mix the classic with new tech.
Definitely agree with you on that score DC. Heuer (the company) has always tried to innovate. I saw a comment on another forum along the lines of Edouard Heuer would be spinning in his grave at the release of the Connected watch. Really? Although it's impossible really to speculate what he would have though, I would counter that he would have seen this as an innovation. And wouldn't he have prioritised his company innovating, selling watches and making money over sticking to the same formula of the past? To be successful in business, you need to take risks. This watch could succeed or fail, but if you change nothing, then you will also eventually fail.

Definitely agree with you on that score DC. Heuer (the company) has always tried to innovate. I saw a comment on another forum along the lines of Edouard Heuer would be spinning in his grave at the release of the Connected watch. Really? Although it's impossible really to speculate what he would have though, I would counter that he would have seen this as an innovation. And wouldn't he have prioritised his company innovating, selling watches and making money over sticking to the same formula of the past? To be successful in business, you need to take risks. This watch could succeed or fail, but if you change nothing, then you will also eventually fail.

The story goes that when Babin brought back Jack Heuer in the early 2000s he proposed two new watches- an Autavia re-edition and an electronic watch that synced live to an Atomic clock via GPS: the old and the new. I guess this is what you'd expect from an Engineer who worked almost as long for a electronics company as he did for Heuer.

that charge of some historical figure "rolling in his grave" has always puzzled me. Mostly due to it begging the obvious question: how would you know??

That and if you really feel he would, wouldn't he have already spun with the first Heuer quartz watch???

I like what TH has done here. While it may be very similar in features to the others on the market, they've done a nice job infusing the TH 'personality' into it.

Here are the first pictures from the unboxing. My day has been back-to-back meetings, so I haven't been able to spend time on this. More to come a bit later...