TAG Heuer Connected- Your Reactions

46mm is too big.

Why is there no heart-rate monitor?

When you trade-in your watch + $1500, you only get one choice of the other watch? It would be better if we could get any item from TH's currently-made watches.

I've been wearing a watch on one wrist and a fitbit on the other watch for about 6 months, so far no-one has commented. The fitbit is obviously a fitness tracker thou, not a watch.

Yes, I have done the same...but this is a ginormous watch.

46mm is too big.

Why is there no heart-rate monitor?

this is the problem...other than looks...what is really new here. Yes it looks sharp, but because its data driven, it really is designed to replace your current watch. If you are like me and wear a different vintage watch every day, this won't work. Its more of a commitment, not something you would wear occasionally.

Yes, I have done the same...but this is a ginormous watch.

this is the problem...other than looks...what is really new here. Yes it looks sharp, but because its data driven, it really is designed to replace your current watch. If you are like me and wear a different vintage watch every day, this won't work. Its more of a commitment, not something you would wear occasionally.

Totally agree. I love my other watches a little too much to commit to a smart watch all the time.

Totally agree. I love my other watches a little too much to commit to a smart watch all the time.
I thought the same, but its weird how much you start to depend on it, and then you're sort of relieved that the good watches spend more time in the bank and only come out for more special occasions. At least that's how it went with me, and I was wearing an A386, Cal 321 Speedy or 1680 sub most days beforehand.

Overall, I think the execution on the Connected is excellent. The case for me is better than the Heuer-01, with a much nicer integration than the end-pieces on the Heuer-01. It has a proper watch feel and look and is quite different to others in the market- very different proposition to say the Apple Watch. A few random thoughts:
- I agree that the screen is a little disappointing- think they could have used a higher ppi to give crisper resolution...but I'm saying that looking at the spec sheet rather than the watch itself, so let's see what it's like in the metal
- The "trade-in" idea is a good one. I like that they're trying something different. I hope that the "Connected Calibre 5" won't be available for general sale- would be cool to restrict this only to people who own the Connected, but given they've shown it already and you need to own the Connected for two years, I'd bet that the watch will be generally available
- I was hoping the watch would have a nano-SIM...now that would have given a real technical point of difference from most others
- I'm an Apple fan, so this will be my first Android experience...I think that iOS has a better look and feel, but maybe that's just what I'm used to
- Let's also hope that TAG Heuer has considered the level of technical support required for a Smartwatch. If you have a problem with your Apple Watch, you can head down to a Genuis Bar and get technical advice...who will provide this for the Connected and who will assist with any pairing issues? Dealer?

Can't wait to get mine!

I'm looking forward to mine too, which should be arriving tomorrow. I've been tempted to get the MOTO 360 since its inception, but was dissuaded due to the "flat tire" design.

Although this is certainly far from perfect, I am looking forward to wearing it on rotation, as any other piece in my collection. I am hoping Google will push updates directly to it over the next year, due to the much publicized partnership.

Here is my first reaction: Biver is bat shit crazy. 😀

Engadget says 70% Swiss Made, but internals are made in USA, without references or citations. Anyone know where they got this from, was it in the press release?

I thought over 50% made in a certain country, you can brand it as made in that country? Last time I checked, Intel hasn't made any chips Stateside in ages so must be a reporting error?

O
- I agree that the screen is a little disappointing- think they could have used a higher ppi to give crisper resolution...but I'm saying that looking at the spec sheet rather than the watch itself, so let's see what it's like in the metal

You don't need see it in-person to realize it's pixelated...the camera does a good job showing you that. and just ask yourself how far you read your watch from your face and the ppi will give a good indication of how pixelated it is.

Not sure on US regulations, but "Swiss made" for watches is quite specific and specifies that the movement must be Swiss made- so that's the end of the debate for the Connected.

I don't know where it's made, but would expect the processor to be manufactured in the US (the majority of Intel's plants are in the US).

Not sure where the watch is cased, but will be interesting to find out.

You don't need see it in-person to realize it's pixelated...the camera does a good job showing you that. and just ask yourself how far you read your watch from your face and the ppi will give a good indication of how pixelated it is.

True, but I notice pixelation on my Apple Watch in photos that I don't notice on the wrist

So brand loyalty/bias aside, what's the honest opinion on the value of this watch at MSRP?

I'm in my mid-20's pretty new in my career, my last watch was a Seiko Chronograph for a few hundred that I have not worn in almost 10 years, I've been wanting to go back to a timepiece so I thought smartwatches are appealing. Obviously it's a little bleeding edge as a whole and still immature and will become obsolete pretty quick. The whole appeal of mid-range mechanical watch is for the build quality of the casing and internals and something that may stay relevant for decades. You take away these two main attributes, it would appear you're only paying the huge premium for the brand and not much more more; it's really just an average smartwatch that can be had for a few hundred.

How's my assessment from a newbie standpoint?

So brand loyalty/bias aside, what's the honest opinion on the value of this watch at MSRP?

I'm in my mid-20's pretty new in my career, my last watch was a Seiko Chronograph for a few hundred that I have not worn in almost 10 years, I've been wanting to go back to a timepiece so I thought smartwatches are appealing. Obviously it's a little bleeding edge as a whole and still immature and will become obsolete pretty quick. The whole appeal of mid-range mechanical watch is for the build quality of the casing and internals and something that may stay relevant for decades. You take away these two main attributes, it would appear you're only paying the huge premium for the brand and not much more more; it's really just an average smartwatch that can be had for a few hundred.

How's my assessment from a newbie standpoint?

I reckon you've asked the key question- how will this stack up against a $700 Apple Watch? Will this appeal to people looking at an Apple Watch/ Smartwatch only, or will it also attract people looking at a ~$1400 Quartz Formula 1? The movement inside the Connected is far more sophisticated that the quartz movement in the Formula 1 at an equivalent price point...and that has a steel case.

I'd agree if all you want is a Smartwatch you'll find the same specs for less- but that's also true of mechanical watches (i.e. line up the spec on two watches with the same movement and the price differences can still be thousands).

What makes this interesting for me is the combination of a "real watch" case and design with a smartwatch inside. Whether it's "worth the money" depends what you want it for and what you are comparing it against

The way I see it, the most important goal for this product is to become an entry point for the brand to new customers, who may have been interested in owning a higher-end smart-watch, or a luxury time-piece. I am sure the primary market is a male who is into luxury brands, with awareness of TAG Heuer and its position in the market place. Once that happens, the goal transforms into fomenting repeat purchases, starting with the "upgrade" option at the end of the 2-year cycle.

Has there been any mention of battery life yet? That's what I'd be concerned about. Many Android-based smart watches struggle to make it through one day.

It sounds like this display will have potentially better visibility in sunlight than other models.

Has there been any mention of battery life yet? That's what I'd be concerned about. Many Android-based smart watches struggle to make it through one day.

It sounds like this display will have potentially better visibility in sunlight than other models.

It's a 410mAh battery, but battery life claims have been vague- "all day battery life"

Unlike others, the screen doesn't go dark- again from the press release "And because the TAG Heuer Connected is above all a watch, the digital hands and indexes remain visible at all times, even when the watch is in ambient energy-saving mode."

i believe I heard the 'trade-in" term used a couple of times during the presentation.

And I certainly agree that an option for a trade-in to the next connected model would be desirable. Though with the way technology moves, maybe it's more prudent to stick with a known product as a future offer.