Help with Carrera re-edition casebacks

That's the same picture you posted when you compared the two watches (one from Chuck Maddox and the other one...)
On both pictures the last digits of what seems to me a serial number are concealed. That would only make sence to prevent a copy of the serial number.
So when I'm buying one of these Lemania "powered" watches, whether it's a TAG Heuer from the late 90s or a 1969 Omega Speedmaster MKII (calibre 861 is a Lemania 1873, right?), what should I look out for?

Here are 2 pictures of 2 Omega watches from the 70s. The movements are caliber 861 and they look very similar to the Lemania 1873 with a "Rodium bath" on some parts, except for the "Omega signature". Note the serial numbers on the same spot.

Take a look at this Carrera Re-edition. Reference CS3110 and limited edition number 00452

Here is the movement of the same watch

Hard to see the number on the movement, but here it is

It looks like 4805485..maybe I have a digit or two wrong, but it's not 00452.

So, to me looks like that is the serial number of the movement, not the watch

By the way, we know that there are different case backs for earlier/ later versions of the same reference numbers. Take a look at the movement on this watch

Note that the Heuer Shield on the movement has been replaced with a TAG Heuer shield

Yes, thank you.
That info would corroborate my suggestion that not only the cases are numbered but also the movements.
Which in fact raises another question: is there a record for these "matching numbers" – much like a chassis number of a classic car is matched to an engine number?
😉

By the way, why is it a limited edition? How can you tell?

Sorry @vricardo didn't see your question. We discussed a similar topic a while ago on the Monaco http://forums.calibre11.com/threads/the-first-monaco-re-editions-limited-edition-or-not.18841/

Let me spend some time to get you a proper answer. The watches are clearly numbered on the caseback...but how many were produced? Even TAG Heuer was vague on this
1996-068.jpg

Question is, what does "a limited series" mean? Could just mean "we're not making many" or could mean "it's a limited edition of XXXX watches". Let me look around

"Limited" could mean lots of things. Maybe time-limited rather than a particular quantity. In other words they perhaps just knew it wouldn't be part of the long-term line up.

In fact, when I read it again, I think a "limited series" as it is written in this context may just mean a limited number of models from the original Carrera range were being reissued.
Edited:

My CS3111 has the number 15569 on the back; I hardly call this a limited edition of XXXX units.

I guess it is more of a limited run.

I was under the impression it was kind of a 'limited run' as in; this won't become part of the regular line-up, will just be sold for a couple of years for eg.

I'm guessing in the "marketing lingo", "Limited edition", "Limited series" and "Limited numbered edition" can mean different things...
Maybe like drunken monkey wrote on the other thread, they were tasting the waters for the next move. Or not...
But my point was this: is there a record or "registry" for the movement number and the case number match? The case number is on the case back only, right?

I'm guessing in the "marketing lingo", "Limited edition", "Limited series" and "Limited numbered edition" can mean different things...
Maybe like drunken monkey wrote on the other thread, they were tasting the waters for the next move. Or not...
But my point was this: is there a record or "registry" for the movement number and the case number match? The case number is on the case back only, right?

Yes, the most likely story is that when they decided to launch the watch they didn't know if they'd sell 500 or 5000...so easier to just call it a "limited" series. Compare these two images from the same Catalogue
1999-dealer-0229-960x678.jpg

1999-dealer-0233-960x678.jpg
The Monaco is noted as a "limited, numbered series", but no such wording for the Carrera.

No, there is no registry for movement serial numbers and watch serial numbers. I would be very, very surprised if these were ever recorded by TAG Heuer. My guess is that the Lemania serial number was only used by Lemania, but that once they arrived at TAG Heuer they were simply fitted to the watches without the combination ever being recorded.

Yes, the serial number for the watch is only on the caseback. Incidentally, today's TAG Heuer's have the serial in two places- caseback and then in very small font under the bezel.

Mission accomplished! 😎

Sorry to Necro-Thread bump.

Is this an 18mm on an 18mm strap (no taper) or a 16mm on an 18/16mm strap?

TAG Heuer 1964 Re-Edition Perforated Black Leather BC0726
18/18mm

TAG Heuer 1964 Re-Edition Perforated Black Leather BC0726
18/18mm
In my original post I stated it was 18/16 which means 18mm at the lugs and 16mm at the clasp. If you disagree I can check later when I get home.

In my original post I stated it was 18/16 which means 18mm at the lugs and 16mm at the clasp. If you disagree I can check later when I get home.

I want to get a buckle and strap for mine but am torn between 16 and 18.

Thanks!

Well according to my posts in this topic, the strap I used is FC6167 which I'm fairly sure is 18mm at lugs and 16mm clasp. I can measure later to be sure but don't think i would have got it wrong (it all fitted!). I can also confirm that clasp model number later if required, but not quite sure what you're after.

I ordered the 16mm buckle. Thanks. I will look for the strap next.