Forums Latest Members

Help with Carrera re-edition casebacks

1. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 19, 2014

I've had a couple of questions over the types of casebacks fitted to the Carrera re-edition, CS3110 and its variants
    [​IMG]

My watch, and most of the ones that I have seen have this caseback
    IMG_4989.jpg

But there are also these that have "1964 Heuer Carrera Re-edition" engraved on the caseback. One of the watches below was sold by someone claiming to be a former TAG Heuer authorised dealer
    [​IMG]

Screen Shot 2014-11-20 at 10.05.00 am.png

Caseback.JPG

Putting aside that the engraving on the last photo looks a little rough, my sense is that both versions are probably correct. While the initial series was a limited edition, the model was a success and production extended..but did they change the caseback design?

Over to you...

2. shauno

shauno Nov 20, 2014

I've seen plenty of pictures of both designs - my CS3110 has the former (without the extra engraving).

3. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 20, 2014

There's a source on eBay that has written a "Spot Fake Watches" guide (herePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network) and claims that:

"I’ve seen some highly reputable sellers with hundreds of feedbacks post TAG Carrera Re-Edition that can pass as real – the dead give-away was an inscription at the case back that says “CARRERA Re-Edition”, there were never that inscription in the authentic 1964 Re-editions. Either the seller did not know better or he was committing fraud."

I'm with you Shauno- I think the eBay guy has it wrong.

Here's one watch- again with the engraving and the original sales package: (sourced from http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-heuer-carrera-1964-re-edition-lemania-movement-215155.html)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And this watch (http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&th=1995428&mid=6675504&rid=0&rev=&reveal=):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Compare that photo of the Lemania 1873 movement in the watch above with this one below sourced from Chuck Maddox:

[​IMG]
    Same movement!

So to believe that its fake, do we believe that someone has faked a manual-wind Lemania 1873? Fitted a genuine 1873 into a fake case? Highly unlikely.

I have never seen a fake Carrera Re-edition (but hey, first time for everything) anyway, so I think it's a bold claim to say that there was never that inscription. The evidence says that there was.

dc

vricardo likes this.
  4. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 21, 2014

Yea I've definitely never seen or heard of the Lemania 1873 or any of its relatives being cloned or copied, unlike designs like the 7750 there's nowhere you can hide flaws and cheapness in these hand-wound Lemanias.

5. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Nov 21, 2014

Just speculating too but your initial suggestion that the text was added when they extended the production run seems about right; especially if we take into account the later automatic CV models coming into the picture in 2002/2003

I'm not a Monaco man but does the casebacks of those from 1997-2002 give any further clues?
    I recall that the case-backs of the Monza "re-editions" and then the Micrograph/Microtimer changed in detail over their model runs.

dsio and Calibre11 like this.
  6. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Nov 21, 2014

Yes, you're right. The second Monaco re-edition is CS2111
    [​IMG]

Initially the caseback looked like this:

[​IMG]

and by the end, looked like this:

[​IMG]

7. drunken monkey

drunken monkey Nov 22, 2014

it's perhaps worth pointing out that the ones with the additional text all seem to be later/higher numbered examples.
    Seeing as the Limited Monaco was 5000, it'd be cool if we could play a game of hunt for the lowest number with the additional text.

8. abnovak

abnovak Jan 4, 2015

Heya,

So what's the verdict here? Are the watches with the "1964 Heuer Carrera Re-Edition" engraved on the back authentic? Is there any way to be 100% sure?

Thanks!

9. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 6, 2015

I believe that they are authentic- I don't see any evidence to suggest that they're not.

The only way to be 100% sure would be to send one back to TAG Heuer and have them confirm. Given the age of the watch, I doubt that a dealer would be much help.

dc

10. imagwai

imagwai Feb 9, 2015

In the process of purchasing a CS3110 recently I saw quite a few Carrera re-editions in the process. I didn't see anything I would consider to be a fake, indeed I'm fairly certain that a credible fake of these models doesn't exist.

What I did see was three different caseback styles - all on what I believe to be genuine watches...

1) The usual and most common is the Heuer logo with model number below and then the serial number as a much less deep engraving under that.
    2) Then there is the same with the "1964 Heuer Carrera Re-Edition" engraving arched around the top, as pictured above.
    3) Finally, I also saw several with only the Heuer badge in the middle - no model number/serial number or text engraving.

Edited Feb 9, 2015
  11. dtf

dtf Feb 9, 2015

Slightly off topic, but is there any guidance on how to spot fakes? Or places where it's relatively safe to buy from? I kinda drifted into this site while looking for info on a prospective purchase, but can see that I'm going to end up with a bunch more expensive watches in the next few years.

12. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Feb 9, 2015

Agree with you- there may be fakes out there, but I haven't (knowingly!) seen them. I don't think I've seen the last example (no serial/ no text), but wouldn't surprise me given the variance we've seen

13. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Feb 9, 2015

I've written a couple of articles on this, but it's a really broad topic:

http://www.calibre11.com/buy-tag-heuer-online
    http://www.calibre11.com/vintage-heuer-buying-guide/2/

The best advice I can give is:
    - If the deal is too good to be true, walk away
    - Use the catalogs on the Calibre 11 website to check that all the small details are the same (hands, text on the dial, hour markers, etc)

And if you find something you like, but you're just not sure, then you are always welcome to post it here for second (and third...and fourth) opinions

dc

dtf likes this.
  14. dtf

dtf Feb 9, 2015

Thanks DC :) really like the site btw, so many fascinating models and history that I never knew existed.

15. Mark_85

Mark_85 Feb 9, 2015

I am hoping to add this to my collection on Friday. Needs a original strap but it is generally in good condition I think :) image.jpg

16. imagwai

imagwai Feb 10, 2015

Looks in good condition. Very few of these watches seem to retain their original straps but hopefully it still has the Heuer clasp. I have currently got a black and a brown WatchObsession rally strap in the post which is as close to the original as I have been able to find for a reasonable price:
    http://www.watchobsession.co.uk/col...watchobsession-driving-band-watch-strap-black

17. imagwai

imagwai Feb 10, 2015

There's one on eBay right now. Pics attached for reference.
    008_I8.jpg 002_I9.jpg

18. Mark_85

Mark_85 Feb 10, 2015

Nice! I plan to pick up a band from TAG Heuer SAV as being calf leather I doubt they are very much

19. Mark_85

Mark_85 Feb 10, 2015

Prefer the black personally. I've always liked the 'n' than the 's' in the original 2447

20. imagwai

imagwai Feb 10, 2015

I posted the white one so that the third style of caseback was added to the topic for reference. I've got the white one myself but I like the black equally well and would have settled for either had I found one in good condition.

Not sure what the "SAV" means in Tag Heuer SAV, but I'd be interested to know how much an original strap costs and where it can be sourced from for future reference.

Oh, and congratulations on the watch - post some more photos when it arrives!