Forums Latest Members
  1. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 17, 2016

Great review David. It should be noted that the experience with Android phones is very good. If I had an iPhone, I probably would have had second thoughts about getting it.

Finally, as you noted, my initial impressions were also about its imperceptible heft, and of course the LCD display.

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 17, 2016

Thanks Hubert. What do you think about the white dial? As I said in the post, I wonder if its more the "shading" treatment rather than the resolution? I find that the photos make the watch look more pixelated than it really is- do you find the same?

3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 17, 2016

Yes, absolutely. The white dials are weak points of the LCD display. But as you said, I think the TH white faces have texture that also make them look artificial. I keep mine with the black dials at the lowest brightness to minimize glare. My #1 wish for a next generation is to have a better display that can produce darker blacks, and brighter, more vivid colors. Modern LCD technology can achieve that, without going to OLED, which apparently doesn't perform well under sunlight. Sony demonstrated incredible LCD technology concepts at CES two weeks ago (for large displays). IMHO, the goal needs to be to make it difficult (if not imperceptible) to tell it's a display.

4. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 20, 2016

image.png Hmm. Looks like the new dials will only be available for Android

5. elbeik

elbeik Jan 20, 2016

Well, the Connected is praised for blending the Carrera spirit and not looking like a gadget.

Those "wallpaper" faces defeat the purpose...

dtf likes this.
  6. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 20, 2016

These are the Ambassador Watchfaces:
    upload_2016-1-20_7-53-54.png

7. HarryG

HarryG Jan 23, 2016

Does anyone have a problem with the sharp folding clasp on the inside of the clasp ?
    I wear the watch not too tight and it hurts my wrist.

8. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 23, 2016

Mine is very, very comfortable. Maybe your clasp is defective?

9. HarryG

HarryG Jan 23, 2016

No, the only thing is, it is very sharp. Like a blade of a knife. And it is on a place on my wrist where it hurts.I wear my watch very loose, so it moves. Maybe you can check on your watch and tell me if it is also sharp. It is on the part where you ajust the length of the rubber band.
    I will try to use a nail file to blunt the sharp parts. ( sorry for the bad english)

10. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 23, 2016

Thanks for the clarification @HarryG. Yes. mine has sharp edges, but not as much as a knife. I wear my watches a bit loose, but not enough to move around, which I why I guess I never noticed any discomfort.

11. HarryG

HarryG Jan 25, 2016

Hi Hubert, can you tell me if your bluetooth connection is working oke ?
    When I am out of range the connection is lost. But when I am close to the phone again the connection is not coming back.
    With my Sony smartband talk this was no problem. I vibrates when the connection is lost and comes back again when in range.

Regards,
    Harry

12. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 25, 2016

@HarryG I just tested this, and the Bluetooth reconnects fine when my Nexus 6P is back in range.

13. HarryG

HarryG Jan 25, 2016

Oke , and the wifi backup is also working ? Sorry for all the questions, hope you have time for all this.

14. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 25, 2016

Ok @HarryG I did a bit of testing on this. Here's what I found:

- The Bluetooth devices indicator on the Connected Watch SETTINGS can get out-of-sync.
    Mine showed "Disconnected", even though the connection was restored after coming back in range.
    upload_2016-1-25_17-15-33.png
    Seems like this is a minor bug in the OS. The important thing is that the Bluetooth connection does recover on its own, about a minute after the phone and the watch are back in range. Maybe this is what you are seeing?

- WiFi observations:
    When I walked away from the phone, the switch to use WiFi was not instantaneous. I used the watch settings to choose the WiFi network and about a minute later the "cloud" operations (like voice searches) started working; slower that over Bluetooth, but they did work. Walking out of the Bluetooth range subsequent times, did switch to the WiFi connection, but again, the thing to remember is that it does take about a minute to take effect.

- Finally WiFi integration seems to have dependencies on Android phones. From the manual it's not clear to me WiFi connection is still possible with iPhones. Maybe someone with an iPhone can chime in on this.
    upload_2016-1-25_17-8-28.png

Edited Jan 25, 2016
  15. HarryG

HarryG Jan 26, 2016

Hi Hubert, thank you for you time testing the connections.
    I will test it myself tomorrow. I was all day looking at the cloud symbol in the display .
    So you say, it takes about a minute to recover the connection,and then the cloud symbol will disappear again.
    Maybe the connection is oke after a minute , but does the cloud icon also disappear after a minute?
    When I was in range again, I can remember still having the cloud icon on the screen and it did not go away.
    Then I openen the lock screen of my Xperia Z5 Compact and just pressed the settings icon. I did not do anything else after that .
    Than the cloud disappeared on the watch. Connection was back again.
    Will do some testing tomorrow.
    Hope to hear from you.

Harry

16. HarryG

HarryG Jan 26, 2016

Hi,Hubert,

I think I know what the problem is.

I have the always on screen on all day. Is it the same with your watch that the cloud/ not connected icon is the problem?
    It does not react immediately on disconnection/connection. Only on the normal / wake up screen the the icon reacts immediately on connection or disconnection.

17. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 26, 2016

I run mine with the "Always on screen" set to 'ON' as well.

From my testing, these are my observations (had to do a couple of edits regarding "preferred" protocols):

- The crossed-out cloud icon appears when the connection to the phone is lost. This can happen when they go out of range, for instance when the phone is shutdown, set to "Airplane mode", or when the WiFi is lost.

-
    To be on WiFi, the watch's WiFi setting needs to be set to "Automatic" and configured to use a local HotSpot.

- If the phone is unreachable, the watch will show the crossed-out cloud icon and will not be able to do most of its operations.

- When phone became "unreachable" (I set it to Airplane mode), my watch was still able to run a couple of services via WiFi: Google Translate & partially Maps (pinpoint locations and Navigation require a connection to the phone). As for the rest of the services: Contacts, Google (Voice Commands/Search), Hangouts, and most 3rd party apps threw a "sad cloud" or an error message stating that the watch was "not connected/disconnected".

- If both Bluetooth & WiFi are available, the "preferred" method seems to be Bluetooth. I discovered while testing how they react when they go in-&-out of range due to proximity. This makes sense, because Bluetooth communications tend to consume less battery.

- If I the watch and the phone were connected via Bluetooth and suddenly they go out-of-range, the watch will try to reestablish connection back to the phone using WiFi. The re-connection is not instantaneous, because the watch is likely doing some "retries", before the other protocol is used. When they come back in range, the switch to Bluetooth should happen automatically a few seconds later. I say should because Bluetooth connections can be a bit inconsistent. Yesterday my phone's Bluetooth connections were flawless, but today they were not syncing automatically. I had to re-enable Bluetooth on my phone to re-sync with my car and the same happened with the watch.

Hope this helps.

Edited Jan 26, 2016
  18. HarryG

HarryG Jan 27, 2016

Hi Hubert, thanks for your help.
    I wil get back to you in a few days.
    Cheers,
    Harry

19. HarryG

HarryG Jan 28, 2016

Hi Hubert,
    Back again!
    This is what I found out about the not reconnecting bluetooth on my Sony Xperia Z5
    When I am out of range, the connection is lost, the cloud icon is on.
    When I am near the phone,nothing happens .I can wait for minutes, it does not reconnect.

But the cloud icon disappears , connection only reestablishes, when I unlock my phone and touch the app icon on the screen.
    I never had to do this when I used the Sony smartband talk with my phone.

What do you think is the problem ?

20. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 28, 2016

Are both devices configured to connect to your WiFi? I am assuming no, since the crossed-out-icon is appearing on the watch.

If the watch is able to establish the connection when you launch the APP, I would think the phone is the one not initiating the reconnection sooner.

A quick search on your phone returned these pairing problems; check them out.
    https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xper...W-bluetooth-compatability-issues/td-p/1043135

Edited Jan 28, 2016