Forums Latest Members
  1. dtf

dtf Dec 10, 2015

Great review, thanks.

2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 10, 2015

Welcome @Snowy_999, good that read your perspective coming from those two models. I am assuming you had the MOTO 360 Gen 1. This year's MOTO 360 model supposedly addresses most of the original deficiencies, however the "flat tire" is still there, which is why I never bought one myself.

Just like you, I've been very happy with my TH Connected Watch as well. Two days ago I got an OS update (still 5.x), but I am hoping we'll get Android 6.0.x Marshmallow soon!

In addition to what you mentioned, Android Wear 6.0 Marshmallow will bring these improvements and new hand gestures:

Edited Dec 10, 2015
  3. Snowy_999

Snowy_999 Dec 10, 2015

Hi.
    It was a gen 1, I was lucky I was able to return it after 3 months due to the repetitive failures.

About those hand gestures, whilst they sound good to have, I think I'd look pretty crazy waving my arm around like that to any onlookers! I already get the occasional weird stare with the current gestures

4. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 10, 2015

5. Snowy_999

Snowy_999 Dec 10, 2015

6. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 14, 2015

7. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 15, 2015

New watchfaces:
    http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/12/android-wear-dress-things-up-with-new.html?m=1
    Currently traveling without my Connected watch, so haven't tried them myself, but some seem worth trying.

8. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 16, 2015

9. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Dec 16, 2015

Here's the Breitling Connected watch
    http://www.breitling.com/en/campaigns/exospace-b55-connected/

https://www.breitling.com/en/news/details/exospace-b55-3801
    [​IMG]

Edited Dec 16, 2015
    WernerBoeinck likes this.
  10. Monaco

Monaco Dec 16, 2015

TBH, I'm not too interested in notifications on my watch...

What I find more compelling is being able to control my music to wireless headphone/car speakers/wireless speakers... and to be able to use navigation... anything less than this is obsolete as far as I'm concerned. Although I do like Brietlings attempt to merge the mechanical watch with digital display... I think here it just fails as a consumer level smartwatch, but probably excels at being a niche aeronautical tool... a true modern pilots watch?

Plus it does look good!

Edit: I do find it fascinating that while every other manufacturer has taken the approach of using the watch to control phone functions... Brietling have taken the opposite approach by using the phone to control watch functionality.

Edited Dec 17, 2015
  11. Wastelanderuk

Wastelanderuk Dec 29, 2015

Hi all,

I've been living with the Connected for a few days and here are my initial thoughts -

1) Build quality is superb - lightweight and Ti strength and the aesthetics are superb. Already I love wearing this watch.
    2) The screen may not be the class leader but is more that suitable for purpose.
    3) Android Wear - I'm a bit meh about the O/S if I'm honest (iOS user)but it does what it's supposed to
    4) Android Wear and iOS - this really hamstrings the potential of the O/S as it severely limits the apps available to those that are 'factory fitted' for now but I'm an Apple guy so I'm stuck with it.
    5) I've had a couple of glitches - today the watch/phone lost sync and it seemed think it was 3:40am on 3rd April! A quick factory reset but...
    6) When performing a factory reset you have to delete your TAG Connected profile, re-create (it allows the same email address to be used) and re-register your watch to get the Exclusive Content (Themed faces) back on the watch. Just a pain but not the end of the world.
    7) A definite bug on the Google Fit face with no information being ported from Google Fit.
    8) Battery life is improving - 60% used after a normal day so the claims of 25 hours seem valid.

I did a lot of research before going ahead with the Connected - it's a lot of cash to drop on what may be a fad but several things appealed -

1) I'm an IT, not a watch guy so this ticked my 'geek' box.
    2) It offers an upgrade to an exclusive Calibre 5 Carrera if the smart thing doesn't work for me.
    3) It allows me all of the functionality of a smart watch but still maintain the appearance of a regular timepiece.
    4) Did I mention the upgrade?
    5) I like the ability to change the appearance of the watch.

I was aware of the limitation of Android Wear and iOS before purchase so that wasn't too much of a surprise, and as I usually have my phone with me I'm not overly bothered about loading up the watch with apps and data.

Overall I'm pleased with the watch and I'm prepared to swallow its eye-watering price point and consider it a down-payment on that Carrera in a couple of years. The total outlay of 2200UKP will exceed the base model Carrera price in the UK but that's not a style I would choose and the 'real' version touted as the upgrade watch is much more 'me' aesthetically - Ti case, more 'sporty' looking along the Formula 1 lines

I can't see why the haters have to hate - it's innovative, entices newcomers into the brand and offers die-hards something different - what's not to like?

I'll continue with my thoughts in due course but for now...

Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 18.53.56.png

Edited Dec 29, 2015
    Calibre11 and Hubert like this.
  12. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 6, 2016

13. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 8, 2016

Looks like new watchfaces are on the way! Here's a compilation I put together from the official TH Instagram page. Watchfaces.png

14. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 11, 2016

Photos from Droid Life http://www.droid-life.com/2016/01/11/180059/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 14, 2016

16. Wastelanderuk

Wastelanderuk Jan 15, 2016

Kinda glad I can't get the new faces via IOS now ::facepalm1::

17. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 15, 2016

The new watch faces will become available on the 20th.

18. Wastelanderuk

Wastelanderuk Jan 15, 2016

@Hubert - do you know the delivery mechanism for IOS users? Will there be an update to the Android Wear IOS app, or will they magically appear in the list of available faces within the existing app?

19. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jan 15, 2016

Good question. According to the TH announcement, the new watch faces "be available as of January 20th through the TAG Heuer app on the Google Play Store". I would assume the equivalent would be true for iPhone users through the Apple App Store. However there has been no formal announcement that I have been able to find that can corroborate this assumption. :unsure:

20. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Jan 17, 2016

dtf likes this.