Forums Latest Members

TAG Heuer announce Google/ Intel Partnership Android Smartwatch Coming

1. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 19, 2015

Yes, no doubt about that. It's all about trying to get people to "wait".

2. Hubert

Or maybe that person just likes the new logo a bit narrower, to be more aesthetically pleasing. ;)

3. automobilia42

automobilia42 Mar 19, 2015

Great press conference, and I like Mr. Biver's humor very much: "Intel inside!"
    Hahaha, that's the way to go, bring some fun back into the watches, like the new ones with the Guetta and Ronaldo versions, not that I would buy these myself, but the "connected watch"...who knows, very interesting!

4. imagwai

imagwai Mar 19, 2015

I supposed I'm still confused as to why Tag Heuer thinks I want a connected or smart watch. What problem is it solving for me? Surely one has to create the need before launching a product. We don't even know what it will do yet, let alone what need it might fulfill.

5. Pell031

Pell031 Mar 19, 2015

yeah, the whole smartwatch product creation strikes me as an answer in search of a question....
    the only thing I can come up with regarding this query is "maybe I'm simply not the target audience" but I still really don't see it as being something useful. Especially since I love wearing my watches!! I now have two TH's that change up from day to day so if a smartwatch ended up having some form of useful tech I couldn't live without, what the hell do I do with the others?? Again, the answer may simply be "I'm not the target" I suppose.

WernerBoeinck likes this.
  6. dtf

dtf Mar 19, 2015

Im somewhat on the fence for this one. Im glad that tag are building a smart-ish watch, but I really hope they go some way to address the issues with smartwatches - battery life, updatability, need to be connected to the fone to function, rather than just building a android smartwatch in a $3000 case.

My second issue - what proportion of TAG owners use android? Straw poll here maybe? Most people I know who use android are geeks or teenagers, most people I know who spend $3000 on a watch are not geeks and use iphones.

Finally, for the last few years, the only bit of technology I own that has 100% done its job, perfectly, all the time, is my quartz aquaracer watch. I mean its perfect, keeps perfect time, it is pretty much indestructible, smart enough to wear in the office but subtle enough that I can drink in a dive bar and not get a second glance. I'll be sad to step away to a watch that crashes on me and goes flat in 2 days..

7. imagwai

imagwai Mar 19, 2015

Android user here on HTC One. I also work in IT and am very tech savvy but I simply have no desire for a smart watch. As above, perhaps us traditional watch enthusiasts simply aren't the target market, though. TAG is obviously trying to attract a new consumer, possibly younger.

8. Pell031

Pell031 Mar 19, 2015

ditto on both counts!

9. Hubert

The Tech forums are in complete disarray over this. Most of those people don't understand that this will not be a "traditional" Android-ware watch. They also don't seem to have any real comprehension as to why this will command a higher price-point above current smart watch offerings.

From now, till-the-end of the year when the announcement is made, TH and their two partners will need to come up with a cohesive story that educates consumers about the features, materials, branding, differentiation, etc.. that justifies this as a "luxury" item, without risking credibility. They have their work cut out for them.

10. Hubert

11. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 19, 2015

While I love mechanical watches, I'm 100% onboard with the idea that the Swiss have to be in the Smartwatch market, even if only to understand why they shouldn't be there longterm. The threat of people using connected devices to replace the traditional watch is too high- no, not for the 0.5% of the population who read watch websites, but for the mass market.

What will be fascinating is whether we will see a bespoke technical solution offered to only TAG Heuer, or whether TAG Heuer will simply licence Android software...how involved with Google and Intel be beyond providing basic components and will these be generic?

12. Hubert

My impression from what we learned in the past two days, is that TAG Heuer will need to have a technical team to do some of the integration. Google and its partnerships with other vendors under the Nexus program and with Android Ware always have always relied on the 3rd parties to accomplish that. I see no difference here.

What bothers me is the inconsistency in the terminology; the new press release mentions "Smart Watch", while the live conference only referenced "Connected watch". Each connotes a whole different meaning / concept.
    http://us.tagheuer.com/en/watch-new...intel-announce-swiss-smartwatch-collaboration

13. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 20, 2015

14. dsio

dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 20, 2015

I think part of TAG's interest and involvement is in creating this stepping stone to reach non-watch wearers that smartwatches could access. In the same sense that the original F1 of the 80s was a stepping stone watch to bigger and better models this could be the millennial generation's first "good watch" and lead on to their future watch purchases from TH. That does genuinely work by the way, my TAG Heuer F1 chronograph from '91 or so was the piece that convinced me I needed to always have a good (and successively better) watch.

15. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 21, 2015

Must see presentation from TH's former head, now at BVLGARI:

Pell031 and automobilia42 like this.
  16. Pell031

Pell031 Mar 21, 2015

wow very interesting. not only do i love the direction and technology, i must say i appreciated the level of smugness delivered. yikes

17. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 21, 2015

Yes; and I'm sure his comments didn't sit well with the board, since both companies are owned by LVMH.

18. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Mar 22, 2015

19. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Mar 22, 2015

I think structurally Bulgari doesn't sit within LVMH Watch & Jewellery (TAG Heuer, Zenith and Hublot). Another interesting take on the "connected watch" idea, but have to say that I use the "1Password" App on iOS which I activate via fingerprint that I think will already do most of this?

20. elbeik

elbeik Mar 22, 2015

I tend to view Bulgari as a jewelry house that happens to make watches, and not a watchmaker per say.

I have been pondering on the nation of connected watch, keeping in mind the racing heritage of Tag Heuer.
    What if for instance it could log lap times, pit stops, acceleration etc.. onto a phone app?