Forums Latest Members
  1. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 7, 2019

Next interview will be Mr Orange on the 10th of August.

2. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Aug 7, 2019

Hah, I wonder how that sounded via Siri! I'll have to give that a try.

Believe it or not, my first passion is probably cars...I'm a sucker for anything old and Italian. But they're a pain to buy/ maintain/ store, etc, so watches felt like the next best thing, with similar attributes.

Not sure that I think of myself as having a strong design perspective, but its definitely influenced by the fact that I started by collecting vintage watches- that's why I pushed TAG Heuer so hard to delete the "Heuer 02" from the 6 o'clock sub-dial of the Siffert Autavia...that's just not a piece of information that would have appeared on a vintage watch, and so I always like dials simpler and with less detail.

Not being an engineer, I suppose that design is the first thing that attracts me. I'm not sure I could ever love a car that was mechanically excellent but looked terrible...but I could (and have done!) go for a pretty car that is ordinary underneath (my Alfa 159 was a bit like that...)

dc

heuerholic, dtf, Albert-AMG and 3 others like this.
  3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 9, 2019

4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 10, 2019

Brutal and honest, just like we know and love him! Agree with most of what is said in the interview though. Well said about Bamford and "aged" lume. However, I do not agree when it comes to the connected ;) the first thing I thought before started reading was "wonder how much shit the connected will have to take in this one" :D

Last but not least, I vote Hubert for brand ambassador

Hubert and Albert-AMG like this.
  5. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Aug 10, 2019

I thought I was quite restrained ;)

6. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Aug 11, 2019

Yes I agree, could have been a lot worse

Mr_Orange and Hubert like this.
  7. dtf

dtf Aug 11, 2019

Fwiw I completely agree about the connected, it seems very degrading to the rest of the collection to have them faked on a connected. It's really like the connected's unique selling point is looking like proper watches, not pushing the boundary of what is possible from a smart watch

Mr_Orange likes this.
  8. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 11, 2019

Well, I completely disagree

And I think any TH Connected owner would also disagree. So if you buy and enjoy one someday, I’m sure your opinion would change ;)

Obviously the TH Connected Modular is a smartwatch, with all the functions of a Wear OS smartwatch, and with a powerful Intel processor inside. But the fact that you can wear (when you're not using its smartwatch features) a watch face instead of a black screen, and that you can wear a TAG Heuer digital watch face (that's why TH installs them from the factory on the Connected) is a plus, is an added value, it is a purchase argument against other smartwatches that do not come from a traditional watch manufacturer.

5979E00A-32B7-4AD2-8980-898BD6AB2C4A.jpeg
    (Picture: Factory installed watchfaces in the TH Connected)

But it's not its unique selling point: of course it is a smartwatch, and it’s also more than a “simple” smartwatch coming from GPS/computer/smartphone makers with no tradition in normal watches: the TH Connected Modular comes from a traditional watchmaker brand, it’s made by very good materials (so it’s expensive), it’s Swiss Made, it’s Modular, it’s part of the Carrera family, and it can wear -with all legitimacy- proper digital TAG Heuer designed faces! ;)

When I was interested in buying a smartwatch, being an iPhone user, the first option I studied was the Apple Watch, but when compared to the TAG Heuer Connected Modular 45, I was convinced by the TH precisely by its possibility of constantly wearing different TAG Heuer dials instead of the black screen that is usually shown on the Apple Watch. This fact and its modularity were key to deciding for the TH CM45, despite costing three times as much as the Apple Watch... and what TH want is to sell many smartwatches if they enter this sector as a complement to their traditional watches!

If the TH Connected couldn't wear those dials of its own brand, it would lose one of its main differentiating elements with other smartwatches, but it’s not a “fake”, it’s not “degrading” anything, because it’s not a substitute or alternative to a traditional watch. I would not stop buying an Autavia, a Monza, or a Monaco because I already have a digital version of their dials on the Connected: it’s a complement to the traditional watches, not a substitute. And it's so much fun playing with it! ;)

Edited Aug 11, 2019
    Tag_ZA, Jim Dollares and Mspeedster like this.
  9. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 11, 2019

I wouldn't buy or wear one (mainly due to my complete indifference to technology - unlike most I barely use a mobile phone), but I don't find it insulting to the brand... if it was some Chinese smart watch with TAG Heuer dials then that would be different, but it isn't. Besides, Albert is a true TAG Heuer enthusiast (his recent Senna 6000 purchase can be taken as proof of that) and I think it's great that he gets so much enjoyment out of his Connected. Keep fighting your corner Albert and don't forget to mention that it's part of the Carrera family (they love that).:D

Jim Dollares and Albert-AMG like this.
  10. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 11, 2019

:thumbsup:

Yes, it's my favourite watch brand for over 30 years. In this case, having Ayrton Senna as ambassador was very effective for me to join TAG Heuer :thumbsup:

Thanks! ;)

Yes, it’s everything well explained in the “Ahead of its time” Carrera 55th Anniversary book :thumbsup:

E5E6FFCC-8A06-404E-8BC8-4769ECF927B0.jpeg

11. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Aug 11, 2019

I was expecting a little regarding “smart” watches but it was restrained, don’t see the point myself but since I haven’t looked into them I don’t know what they do, official TH faces ok, but anything else is just not for me.

12. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Aug 11, 2019

Mr_Orange and Aquagraph like this.
  13. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Aug 12, 2019

Good reading ! :thumbsup:

Who's up next ?

Mr_Orange likes this.
  14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 12, 2019

Next is 'Remo'...

Albert-AMG likes this.
  15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 14, 2019

Oops, my mistake... next is Mspeedster, then Remo.

16. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 14, 2019

Uh oh, tough act following DC and Mr Orange. :eek:

Tag_ZA likes this.
  17. Tag_ZA

Tag_ZA Aug 14, 2019

Looking forward to this one.

Aquagraph and Mspeedster like this.
  18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 19, 2019

I will update the post index tomorrow, in the meantime... I learned two things today: in 2005 TAG Heuer made some Formula 1s in 40mm and 37mm cases, and also... those smooth bezel Aquaracers (like the Lewis Hamilton one and the Calibre S Regatta ones) were originally designated 2000 Aquaracers, in the same way that the Aquagraph was originally the 2000 Aquagraph. I honestly did not know either of these things!

Jim Dollares likes this.
  19. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 20, 2019

Oops, been a bit lax with this... Mr Orange's interview for those who haven't read it yet plus lots more bits n bobs!

20 AUG 2019 - NOT BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer 1988 Catalogue
    19 AUG 2019 - GALLERY: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 01 with Fasteners
    19 AUG 2019 - VIDEO: Interview with Jean Claude Biver by Teddy Baldassere
    18 AUG 2019 - BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer Dealer Catalogue 2006-2007
    17 AUG 2019 - GALLERY: TAG Heuer Aquagraph Calibre 60
    17 AUG 2019 - VIDEO: TAG Heuer Carrera SLR Calibre 1887 Review by WatchBox Studios
    16 AUG 2019 - ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Golf Watch
    15 AUG 2019 - NEW PAGE ADDED: eBay Blacklist
    15 AUG 2019 - GALLERY: TAG Heuer F1 Kirum
    15 AUG 2019 - VIDEO: TAG Heuer Autavia Isograph Review by Oracle Time
    14 AUG 2019 - BUYING EXPERIENCE: TAG Heuer Keyring, Plaque and IW Magazines
    13 AUG 2019 - GALLERY: TAG Heuer Link Searacer Regatta Quartz Chronograph
    13 AUG 2019 - VIDEO: TAG Heuer Autavia Original V Re-Issue by Watches On You
    12 AUG 2019 - ON THE WRIST: TAG Heuer Monaco Calibre 12 Solid Gold
    11 AUG 2019 - GALLERY: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre S with Peanut M&Ms
    11 AUG 2019 - VIDEO: TAG Heuer Monaco 50th Anniversary 1979-1989 Unboxing
    10 AUG 2019 - INTERVIEW: Mr Orange (Calibre 11 Forum Member)
    09 AUG 2019 - GALLERY: TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 01 and Aquagraph Calibre 60
    09 AUG 2019 - VIDEO: TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Review by EDC Gunner
    08 AUG 2019 - FEATURE: The Rise of the Green Dial Watch
    07 AUG 2019 - GALLERY: TAG Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 with Tutankhamen Mug
    07 AUG 2019 - VIDEO: TAG Heuer Carrera Two Tone Unboxing by Samuel Kim

Albert-AMG likes this.
  20. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Aug 20, 2019

You know, in the future maybe you could do it like "live group discussion" style :)

You are very talented in writing narrative ! (Is a compliment)