Seafarer: TAG Heuer x Hodinkee Colab 8/8

Guys, let’s leave this one. Jeff is unarguably the authority on vintage Heuer and has made an enormous contribution to recording the history of Heuer.

Let’s drop the arguments about shilling for meals and go back to arguing about the watches.

This is my first post but I've been registered for some time.
I'm not a presumed registered member to stigmatise anyone. On the contrary ....

The subject was interesting enough for me to take the time to give my point of view.
What I see: unnecessary suspicion.
We're not talking here about clinical studies, drugs or the ethics of experts, even if they are journalists in their spare time.

As far as I'm concerned, I've loved watches for 40 years.
And I know JS's track record, even if his favouritism towards the brand is obvious given the quality and quantity of his collection.

To end this pointless debate:
Read onthedash! It's fascinating for lovers of Heuer; wristwatches or dashboards (my passion).

You say to read his website as if we are all lovers of Heuer vintage products. We aren’t all into that. Some of us actually like the current brand, known as TAG Heuer, with more modern pieces being our taste. That’s the reason we don’t read Jeff’s site, not because of it being Jeff, but because the topic doesn’t interest some of us. I am more than happy for Jeff to write about his passion, that’s not the issue here.

My original point was about the overly hyped post about it being a huge success and being sold out, when there appeared to be no facts used as no background was given and Jeff himself said he had not even asked if they were sold out. We all know they are not, as they hadn’t even made it on sale in all regions of TAG Heuer’s website, plus Hodinkee still had their allocated stock available.

In fact anyone can still buy 3 of them right now on Hodinkee, which I assume is the cap for each person and not their remaining stock?

My post was therefore just asking why it was said like it’s fact, when people believe that incorrect information just because he’s a well respected watch journalist, when it was factually incorrect at the time and remains so.
Edited:

Guys, let’s leave this one. Jeff is unarguably the authority on vintage Heuer and has made an enormous contribution to recording the history of Heuer.

Let’s drop the arguments about shilling for meals and go back to arguing about the watches.
Apologies, I was typing the above post and had not seen your post, so not being awkward.

Not really. Seemed like you were trying to justify some of the comments made here because of the lack of objective journalism at large.

I think Ben has some valid points, yes. How he phrases those points is up to him. I didn't say anything negative about Jeff, in fact I said - he can write and he knows his stuff.

I do agree that most sites are not as objective as they should be. But even if someone like Ben Clymer of Hodinkee were to post here, I'd welcome his presence and treat him with the same courtesy & respect that everyone deserves. @Jeff Stein brings a wealth of knowledge with him, the forum is a richer place when he engages in discussion.

Yes, everyone deserves respect and I wouldn't have a problem with Ben unless he gave me a reason to. But some people have a way of posting that rubs others up the wrong way... unfortunately this is something that could be levelled at Jeff.

Having said that, I've had the good fortune of attending one of those exclusive TAG Heuer dinners in the past. There's an excitement and buzz that one can get from such an event. Which may have contributed to Jeff's optimistic view of a quick sellout of these Seafarers. But I'd take personal offense if someone were to insinuate that my comments or actions were the result of being bribed by a dinner.

Yeah, I guess being at a party like that would make you feel positive about the product hey. Which is the whole point really isn't it...
Edited:

Well here's mine on the wrist.

upload_2024-8-16_18-43-44.jpeg

First impressions of this one are a bit strange for a TAG. Because unlike most of the other ones, this one isn't mainlining fun or racy vibes.

Instead, it's... elegant. The polished details shine when they catch the light sure, but it's anything but flashy. It's almost bordering on dressy, even.

Sporty and elegant in near equal measure - sounds familiar; sounds like the description of the original Carrera. It's excellent.
Nice strap choice!

That’s exactly where I am coming from Rob.

Let’s have some genuine honest reviews for a change.

Talking of cordial and civil responses, should I take the same offence to the post by this alleged new member @Frank755, who only signed up to have a pop at me? @Hubert ?

Anyway, that’s all I am going to say in this thread.

I don't see anything in Frank's posts that could be taken as an offence. The discussions here are open, so members can express themselves freely. If you felt offended by something Frank said, please message me directly and we'll settle it, between the three of us.

Nobody wants to feel policed or be censored. We're all adults here, so it's important exercise restraint to keep the peace, especially when expressing opposing views, or raising criticisms. By now, you have repeatedly been able to speak your mind and some people agreed with some of your points. Please consider that a win and let's move on.

Back on topic, mine has arrived and I definitely like it. I still need to adjust the strap, as it's the one that has to be cut.
upload_2024-8-18_0-44-52.png

Back on topic, mine has arrived and I definitely like it. I still need to adjust the strap, as it's the one that has to be cut.

What’s your thoughts on the bezel under glass thing on the new glassbox? Overall this looks great, but I’m still not sure on that detail

What’s your thoughts on the bezel under glass thing on the new glassbox? Overall this looks great, but I’m still not sure on that detail
I prefer the TH glassbox in 42mm than the smaller size. Since the dial is black, the bezel doesn't look as patchy as in other colors. So overall this one is fine.

Congrats again @Hubert! Another fine addition to your amazing collection! :thumbsup:

Congrats Hubert. This release is growing on me. Not sure how the 42mm Carrera case wears on me as I've never tried one, but I still think I prefer the Skipper anyway, and I know the 39mm works well. Maybe one day I will get to try this one on.

Congrats King Hubert! This one is growing on me and among the current glassboxes it is definitely my favourite. Well perhaps the solid gold one is best. Seafarer strong second :p

Well here's mine on the wrist.

upload_2024-8-16_18-43-44.jpeg

First impressions of this one are a bit strange for a TAG. Because unlike most of the other ones, this one isn't mainlining fun or racy vibes.

Instead, it's... elegant. The polished details shine when they catch the light sure, but it's anything but flashy. It's almost bordering on dressy, even.

Sporty and elegant in near equal measure - sounds familiar; sounds like the description of the original Carrera. It's excellent.

Congratulations on the new watch arrival!!

The replacement strap looks great!! Seems to me that the ideal set of straps for this one might be the original rubber strap (black), a traditional racing style leather strap, and something colorful, like yours. And maybe a NATO? Well done!!

Enjoy this one and please share your impressions on the forum.

Jeff

Congratulations on the new arrival!! Looking forward to more impressions as you wear the watch!!

Jeff

just received mine and I can tell you that I have not seen a prettier and more unique watch in a while .
the perfect classic with a quirk
Looking good!! Seems that it fits well on your relatively small wrist . . . or am I estimating that incorrectly? Looking forward to having your impressions.

My wrist is around 6-3/4 inches and the watch is a great fit!!

Jeff

just received mine and I can tell you that I have not seen a prettier and more unique watch in a while .
Congratulations..looks great on you.
Interested to know what size wrist you have. It looks like a great fit.

Hi Kactus, welcome to the forum.