Seafarer: TAG Heuer x Hodinkee Colab 8/8

I dont know dude, that sounds very confusing.

First you say that all watches are de facto sold out. English is not my native lingo but if I am not mistaken, de facto means 'in fact' or 'as a matter of fact'.

Then you say all watches are sold but also that they will be sold once they are released.

Sounds to me like there is still a good chance to buy one for anyone who is interested. I can still add one to the cart and order if I go to hodinkee shop?

I believe the rest of the world has opened the Waitlist option now. I agree that they will all sell.
I would get one from Hodinkee website but then will have to pay import taxes. So it makes sense to wait till I can buy it locally.

I believe the rest of the world has opened the Waitlist option now. I agree that they will all sell.
I would get one from Hodinkee website but then will have to pay import taxes. So it makes sense to wait till I can buy it locally.
For sure bro. I too believe it will sell out eventually, I was just pointing out when someone presents qualified guessing as facts. Clearly a big difference between the two.

How quickly these will sell out, only time can tell. We all still remember how much TAG have struggled to sell other limited editions, which is awesome for people like us because we have plenty of time to buy when we want.

It would be pretty impressive to sell 968 of these, considering it took about three years to sell 1860 of the Ice Kings...

I don't think they're even close to sold out. Hodinkee still has stock available of their 125-unit allocation and we have seen TAG's website say 'Sold out' early on in the release of other limited editions only to then become not only available again but in stock for months.

I think this is more a sign of just how bad the watch market is right now though, rather than a rejection of the watch

I attended a dinner last night in New York City, hosted by TAG Heuer and Hodinkee, to celebrate the launch of the Seafarer. While I didn't explicitly ask either party, "How many are sold?" or "How many remain unsold?", you can be certain that this watch has been a huge success and is, de facto, sold out.

It's complicated because there are basically four channels of sales -- Hodinkee; TAG Heuer US; TAG Heuer rest-of-the-world; and TAG Heuer e-commerce -- but you can be absolutely certain that these 968 watches are all sold (or will be sold immediately when they are released into these channels).

It's a great watch and has been a successful release for TAG Heuer and Hodinkee.

Jeff

What kind of journalist doesn’t ask questions like that before assuring everyone on here that they are sold out…or is that nearly sold out…or will be sold out once they go on sale!?!

The kind that doesn’t want to risk not being invited to said freebie dinners in NYC with the likes of TAG Heuer and Hodinkee in future I guess?

Good to hear that, without explicitly knowing the facts, you can assure us that it’s a great watch and is a successful release though. ;)
Edited:

What kind of journalist doesn’t ask questions like that before assuring everyone on here that they are sold out…or is that nearly sold out…or will be sold out once they go on sale!?!

The kind that don’t want to risk not being invited to said freebie dinners in NYC with the likes of TAG Heuer and Hodinkee in future I guess?

Good to hear that, without explicitly knowing the facts, you can assure us that it’s a great watch and is a successful release though. ;)

If this event was anything like the Skipper launch I went to last summer, there's not really much opportunity for Q&A. The top guys will give a speech about it and then hobnob a bit with the watch-world luminaries like Clymer and co.

If this event was anything like the Skipper launch I went to last summer, there's not really much opportunity for Q&A. The top guys will give a speech about it and then hobnob a bit with the watch-world luminaries like Clymer and co.
Ok, I hear you, that sounds plausible in fairness.

However, my point still stands as the post on here states that it’s a massive success and they’re sold out (or nearly are, etc), yet the journalist on hand has no facts to back this up and asked no questions.

I mean, who is going to make a speech at such a dinner stating the low number limited edition has yet to sell out its first 125 and isn’t a full on ultra success.

My opinion on this type of “journalism” is very poor these days, unfortunately.

I googled clymer and co and all I get is some stuff about motorcycle repairs?

[smug mode]I guess it's Ben Clymer, founder of Hodinkee. A 2 sec Google search ("clymer watch") told me that[/smug mode]

[smug mode]I guess it's Ben Clymer, founder of Hodinkee. A 2 sec Google search ("clymer watch") told me that[/smug mode]

::popcorn::

I mean who didn’t see that coming.

The kind that doesn’t want to risk not being invited to said freebie dinners in NYC with the likes of TAG Heuer and Hodinkee in future I guess?

Just my opinion, but these personal attacks really detract from the exchange of information and opinions on this forum.

Jeff

Come on guys; play nice.
Can you please check the postings and tell me where I wasn’t nice. I really do want to comply with the rules and norms of this forum.

Thanks,

Jeff

Everyone should feel respected and show respect towards others. Our community should bring joy to people and not be cause for friction or alienation. Please be cordial with each other. We need self-governance, not censorship. Thank you all for doing your part to keep the discussions friendly.

Everyone should feel respected and show respect towards others. Our community should bring joy to people and not be cause for friction or alienation. Please be cordial with each other. We need self-governance, not censorship. Thank you all for doing your part to keep the discussions friendly.
Ok, I am on board with the general approach you set out, no question there.

My only issue is with not being able to challenge comments that are made. What we have is a post from a respected journalist stating that this piece is a major success and is sold out, suggesting that anyone lucky enough to see one for sale should jump at the chance to buy.

People will actually do this for fear of missing out and the hype that attracts.

We all know that doesn’t appear to be the case as Hodinkee, who appear to have had the right to sell their 125 allocation first, still have them for sale.

When someone is paid for making comments of that nature, are we not able to challenge the fact that what people could believe is fact, is not based on fact as they clearly point out they didn’t ask the question?

Genuinely asking, for future reference.

Just my opinion, but these personal attacks really detract from the exchange of information and opinions on this forum.

Jeff
I was merely responding to what you posted, as your post was set out like fact and not as an opinion.

If you had said that, in your opinion, these will sell out then I would not even have raised an eyebrow. Someone in your position will know the difference.

My issue is not with you personally. My issue is with the continual habit of journalists only pointing out the positives, or putting spin on sales, of every piece that gets released for fear of not being invited to the next event or not getting insider knowledge to leak, payment, etc.

It just feels disingenuous most of the time, when there’s such lack of genuine opinion as you point out is important.