Seafarer: TAG Heuer x Hodinkee Colab 8/8

There's no way it'll appreciate and the quantity is too many to hold its value either I think (it's not sold out). I would assume you're going to lose at least 10-20% in the current market.

If there’s no discount on the purchase, I reckon that’s more like at least a 25-30% drop tbh.

This is clearly all guess work though, as none of us really know.

I have an opportunity to get one of these...but haven't had a TH for over 15 years. I like the style but not sure about the glass box design... I'll have to try it on to see if I will like it.
But since these are limited production, thoughts if this model will appreciate or at least hold their value? Hate to spend this kind of money and lose 30% in the resale market right away.

If resale is your primary concern, that answer is easy: Never buy a watch, especially a brand new one, hoping it holds value or appreciates. Only buy it if you like it and feel the asking price is worth it.

For me for instance, I know these probably won't be worth their MSRP at least initially. Maybe over time. But I don't care; I want to wear and enjoy it and expect I will for quite a while. Selling it isn't part of that calculus

Don't buy it. The Dato was way more limited and the prices of those has dropped below list now.

Currently only 1 Dato for sale on Chrono24 but above list price. Vintage Heuer has one also listed at 12,000 Pound.
Only 2 i can find so far.

A search for the Skipper Hodinkee returned none for sale. Managed to find the previous sales. 1000011122.jpg

Currently only 1 Dato for sale on Chrono24 but above list price. Vintage Heuer has one also listed at 12,000 Pound.
There are also a couple of Hodinkee Datos on eBay, all asking for more than retail. I have seen them for sale by motivated sellers for about retail from time to time. But more often, the typical asking price is above retail still.

However, I do agree with @abrod520. All of my purchases are made with the mindset that the watch will be a keeper, resale value is never a factor in my buying decision. And for the most part, I've been true to my word. Rarely ever sell or trade any of my watches, even when I stand to make a profit.

Case in point. I was recently at a restaurant while on vacation and our waitress immediately noticed my KITH Heuer F1 on my wrist. She knew everything about the watch, wanted one badly and had tried quite hard to get one in vain. My wife jokingly suggested that I should sell her mine for a profit, but that will never happen.

Watchfinder recently had three (admittedly all seemingly now sold) that were under £6000

Watchfinder recently had three (admittedly all seemingly now sold) that were under £6000
The Dato retailed for $7250 usd or about £5670 gbp with today's exchange rate.

Regardless, the Seafarer is limited to 968 pieces but the Dato only 250. So I'd expect greater depreciation on the Seafarer long term vs the Dato. But no worse than other LEs from TAG.
Edited:

IIRC they were between £5200-5600. Which rather disproves the theory that WF is always expensive...

It's funny. I never understand why they do that. Surely if you have three pieces of a limited edition it doesn't make sense to put them all up on your site at the same time. It just totally undermines they idea that they are rare and hard to get. They often have multiple pieces of the Monaco Classique too, and the green glassbox Carrera... makes zero sense to me.

Not at all shocked that they still haven’t sold the initial 125 allocated to them. The market being as it is currently.

That isn’t helped by their website prompting you to add your email address to be informed once it’s released…but them then sending three emails about various Hodinkee services, like their app, but not actually sending anything about the watch which I signed up to receive the info on!

FWIW Tag Heuer's website is all sold out.

I dunno, I am feeling a little regret not getting it. I have wanted a Seafarer for a long time, and this was my chance. But it just looked too similar to the reverse panda glassbox I already own (and love). I really hope they actually do come out with a white version. I may be kicking myself if they don't

FWIW Tag Heuer's website is all sold out.

UK website says join the waiting list, I would suggest they haven't actually got them yet...

I dunno, I am feeling a little regret not getting it. I have wanted a Seafarer for a long time, and this was my chance. But it just looked too similar to the reverse panda glassbox I already own (and love). I really hope they actually do come out with a white version. I may be kicking myself if they don't
I'd feel the same if I already had the reverse panda. But if you really want the Seafarer, it's still available on the Hodinkee website:
TAG Heuer Carrera Chronograph Seafarer × Hodinkee – HODINKEE Shop

I was informed that the US TAG Boutique's initial allocation has been sold out, but they expect to get a second wave allocation.

UK website says join the waiting list, I would suggest they haven't actually got them yet...
@Anthony.R told me that other regions, such as Australia, don't release until later. Probably similar in the UK.

It depends on where @C-Balls is located. If in the US, the watch was showing as "ADD TO CART" when released on TAG's US website on Aug 13th. But currently the US website shows "Out of Stock on-line". I suspect it should become available again, as is often the case when TAG releases their LEs in batches, rather than all at once. Just need to keep checking the website or get on the waitlist at a Boutique. Or simply get it from Hodinkee, as they still have stock.

As mentioned before, it seems other regions have not released the model yet. Hence the UK website says, "Join The Waiting List".

The press release said the first 125 would be sold on Hodinkee, implying the rest would be sold through TH as they were built. Given the expectation for a somewhat-limited demand, TH probably plans to build the rest over time, rather than waiting for all to be built before the big reveal.

I'd feel the same if I already had the reverse panda. But if you really want the Seafarer, it's still available on the Hodinkee website:
TAG Heuer Carrera Chronograph Seafarer × Hodinkee – HODINKEE Shop

I was informed that the US TAG Boutique's initial allocation has been sold out, but they expect to get a second wave allocation.

@Anthony.R told me that other regions, such as Australia, don't release until later. Probably similar in the UK.

The rest of the world is using the Wait list option. Allocation to different regions hasn't been decided yet. I suspect they are waiting to see what the take up is like in the US. Then we will get what is left.

I attended a dinner last night in New York City, hosted by TAG Heuer and Hodinkee, to celebrate the launch of the Seafarer. While I didn't explicitly ask either party, "How many are sold?" or "How many remain unsold?", you can be certain that this watch has been a huge success and is, de facto, sold out.

It's complicated because there are basically four channels of sales -- Hodinkee; TAG Heuer US; TAG Heuer rest-of-the-world; and TAG Heuer e-commerce -- but you can be absolutely certain that these 968 watches are all sold (or will be sold immediately when they are released into these channels).

It's a great watch and has been a successful release for TAG Heuer and Hodinkee.

Jeff

I attended a dinner last night in New York City, hosted by TAG Heuer and Hodinkee, to celebrate the launch of the Seafarer. While I didn't explicitly ask either party, "How many are sold?" or "How many remain unsold?", you can be certain that this watch has been a huge success and is, de facto, sold out.

It's complicated because there are basically four channels of sales -- Hodinkee; TAG Heuer US; TAG Heuer rest-of-the-world; and TAG Heuer e-commerce -- but you can be absolutely certain that these 968 watches are all sold (or will be sold immediately when they are released into these channels).

It's a great watch and has been a successful release for TAG Heuer and Hodinkee.

Jeff
I dont know dude, that sounds very confusing.

First you say that all watches are de facto sold out. English is not my native lingo but if I am not mistaken, de facto means 'in fact' or 'as a matter of fact'.

Then you say all watches are sold but also that they will be sold once they are released.

Sounds to me like there is still a good chance to buy one for anyone who is interested. I can still add one to the cart and order if I go to hodinkee shop?

I dont know dude, that sounds very confusing.

First you say that all watches are de facto sold out. English is not my native lingo but if I am not mistaken, de facto means 'in fact' or 'as a matter of fact'.

Then you say all watches are sold but also that they will be sold once they are released.

Sounds to me like there is still a good chance to buy one for anyone who is interested. I can still add one to the cart and order if I go to hodinkee shop?

*will be sold quickly when they are released into these channels.

"Immediately" was the wrong word.

Jeff