Seafarer: TAG Heuer x Hodinkee Colab 8/8

Oh... of course Hodinkee is American so it's still morning there.
Feels weird to be in Europe and be on this side of the conversation about time.

It’s a beauty, glad they made it, happy to see TH go in this direction for the past couple years.

I never liked the shiny silver outer rim of the subdials on the first 2nd gen glassbox. It’s used again here as a design feature it seems. My only gripe aside from 42mm — but for sure this piece is an absolute beauty.
Edited:

So is this Tide complication just a Moonphase complication but with a button with Tide written on it?

What happens to accuracy when you accidentally press it in daily life, or with idle hands?

Alternatively, assuming you don’t press it, how often is that ugly massive Tide button used?

Of course, this is all assuming you actually want it to be used as intended.

Like most complications I suspect it's just 'for show' essentially. I mean unless you've got a yacht to race how useful is a Regatta timer? I had two of them!

But no yacht.

So is this Tide complication just a Moonphase complication but with a button with Tide written on it?
Apparently, from what I've read.

I have no yacht, not even a dinghy, so have no use for a Tide complication or a Regatta timer. However, if they came out with an actual Moonphase display, I would be interested in that, especially if they could do it without the giant button on the side.

image.jpg

Though this was branded Heuer it was actually for sale in the late 1980s.

image.jpg

Though this was branded Heuer it was actually for sale in the late 1980s.
Man I look for one of these on eBay all the time. So much $$

Not sure if a moon phase would be any use/interest to me, my diary tells me that and I don’t go poaching any more.:whistling:

Apparently, from what I've read.

I have no yacht, not even a dinghy, so have no use for a Tide complication or a Regatta timer. However, if they came out with an actual Moonphase display, I would be interested in that, especially if they could do it without the giant button on the side.

you probably should get a yacht to go with your watches.

What happens when you accidentally press it in daily life, or with idle hands?

Going on the size of the button, I assume you control tides with it?

Not sure if a moon phase would be any use/interest to me, my diary tells me that and I don’t go poaching any more.:whistling:
That sounds like there's more to that story.... ::book::

you probably should get a yacht to go with your watches.
Ummm, yeah, right.... :rolleyes: Boats are one of those things that make these watches look like pocket change. :cautious:

Do you know the two best days in a boat-owner's life? The day he buys the boat and the day he sells it. :D

Do you know the two best days in a boat-owner's life? The day he buys the boat and the day he sells it. :D

I was told exactly this by a gentleman who owned a particular obscure vintage race car at Goodwood a few years ago, who had just spent £100k having some engine components built from scratch. He said ‘well I’d just sold my boat, which was the best day I ever had with it, then I was offered this car which was very unsuccessful in period…’

Here's my posting on the new Seafarer -- http://www.onthedash.com/hodinkee-seafarer-introduction/

Looking forward to seeing how others here react to the watch.

Jeff

01.JPG 02B.JPG 07.JPG
I've been looking forward to this one for a while. I placed my deposit on the boutique as soon as it opened. I wish the subdial edges were not metallic, but I'm sure it will be fine. I applaud the efforts of building the new movements and for making this in the larger case.

I've been looking forward to this one for a while. I placed my deposit on the boutique as soon as it opened. I wish the subdial edges were not metallic, but I'm sure it will be fine. I applaud the efforts of building the new movements and for making this in the larger case.
To me, using the 42 mm Glassbox case was such an easy decision. They were doing a re-issue of the Reference 2446C version of the Seafarer. That vintage model measures 40 mm across the dial, and 48.2 lug-to-lug, with a thickness of 14.4 mm. So the new Hodinkee Seafarer measures 42 mm across the dial, and 48.4 lug-to-lug (or 48.6 in the TAG Heuer specs), with a thickness of 14.7 mm. All this seems reasonable to me.

It's difficult to imagining shrinking the Ref 2446C to fit into the 39 mm Glassbox case. This case measures 46 mm lug-to-lug, with a thickness of 13.9 mm, so it would be smaller than the original Ref 2446C in every dimension. We just don't see many of the watch brands re-issuing their classics in a smaller format.

Jeff

To me, using the 42 mm Glassbox case was such an easy decision. They were doing a re-issue of the Reference 2446C version of the Seafarer. That vintage model measures 40 mm across the dial, and 48.2 lug-to-lug, with a thickness of 14.4 mm. So the new Hodinkee Seafarer measures 42 mm across the dial, and 48.4 lug-to-lug (or 48.6 in the TAG Heuer specs), with a thickness of 14.7 mm. All this seems reasonable to me.

It's difficult to imagining shrinking the Ref 2446C to fit into the 39 mm Glassbox case. This case measures 46 mm lug-to-lug, with a thickness of 13.9 mm, so it would be smaller than the original Ref 2446C in every dimension. We just don't see many of the watch brands re-issuing their classics in a smaller format.

Jeff

After having it on the wrist earlier today I now can say that it wear very well for a 42mm dial.
Most of my Carrera's are 39mm and I thought it would be a stretch for this 42mm to fit well.

I'm happy to say I will be joining @abrod520 and @Hubert in getting one once they launch here in Australia. A couple of live pics. 1000011246.jpg 1000011247.jpg

Congrats @Anthony.R, @Hubert, and @abrod520!!!

I tried it on too. Very nice and the tide complication is a cool novelty. :cool:
IMG_20240810_172022_234.jpg

I also tried the reverse panda again. Given its lower price vs the Seafarer, it's a tough call. They're both quite similar in look and 39mm is a better size for my wrist. I think I'd prefer the Seafarer more if it was a tribute to the off-white or silver dialed versions from yesteryear.
20240810_144248.jpg

This video explains how the tide thingy works. I just like the way it spins, would never use it. LOL

I have an opportunity to get one of these...but haven't had a TH for over 15 years. I like the style but not sure about the glass box design... I'll have to try it on to see if I will like it.
But since these are limited production, thoughts if this model will appreciate or at least hold their value? Hate to spend this kind of money and lose 30% in the resale market right away.

Don't buy it. The Dato was way more limited and the prices of those has dropped below list now.