Seafarer: TAG Heuer x Hodinkee Colab 8/8

My favourite thing about this one is that it doesn't have fauxtina.

Probably about the best of the new style glass boxes, due to the increased size which means there’s no weird cut into the bezel, but still not for me.

LOL TAG Heuer is not a brand to be inspected with a loupe bro :D

Nor really are just about any other brands at this price point - or even the next price segment up. Plenty of complaints about Omegas under a loupe for instance.

Nor really are just about any other brands at this price point - or even the next price segment up. Plenty of complaints about Omegas under a loupe for instance.
Absolutely true, anything in the affordable luxury segment below 50-100k will be donkey in terms of details and finish :thumbsup:

I dig it. But i think i'll wait for the white one. I have the Reverse Panda Glassbox, so it doesn't really make sense to get this as well.
Exactly my thoughts. And too expensive for European customers since there’s an extra 20% of VAT on top of the USD price…

A putative white core collection model won’t have that issue.

Probably about the best of the new style glass boxes, due to the increased size which means there’s no weird cut into the bezel, but still not for me.
What do you mean by “weird cut”? That dial and bezel are in 2 pieces? :thumbsdown:

@Jeff Stein - Esthetically, this is a winner (IMHO). The only design decision I am not on board with are the main hands - especially when seeing the novelty nestled among its ancestors…

So technically, TAG can now come out with a moonphase Carrera - possiblly a new Dato iteration.

What do you mean by “weird cut”? That dial and bezel are in 2 pieces? :thumbsdown:
Should have worded that better. The larger dial means the indices and sub dials don’t foul what I see as the internal curved element which I think of as a bezel. Just looked at the 39mm ones and it was the Tourbillon I was thinking off.

Anyway, I just think the glass box looks better in the larger size.

I wasn't overly impressed with the renders, but the real life photos make it look much better. I like the vibrant flash of pale blue. And no fauxtina is a plus. Overall, I still don't like this generation glassbox style as much as the previous one, though. It's too much vintage style in a modern style case that jars for me. And I still think the curved chapter ring underneath the crystal is a bit odd. This is probably the second best of the new glassbox models, though. After the Skipper.

Chapter Ring, that’s what I was trying to think of but put bezel in my comment as couldn’t think of what it was called.

I totally agree with this aspect of the new style glass box being weird too. That’s what I was getting at.

So... is this only available from Hodinkee direct? It's not on the UK website as yet... but then I guess it's not going to sell out in a day what with there being 968 of them... and what with Hodinkee not being the force it was.

I know the US boutiques are getting them (or have them at this point). Based on the amount allocated between Hodinkee and the US TH boutiques, I assumed some would be dispersed globally.

Yep. On sale at boutiques either next week or once Hodinkee sells out their allocation, whichever comes first. Will be available worldwide so if you’re outside the US, may as well call your boutique or AD now.

At end of day US time, looks like Hodinkee still has them in stock. Seems maybe they don’t have the kind of clout they used to - even without being completely limited to 125, they’d usually sell out that number in a couple minutes

Yep. On sale at boutiques either next week or once Hodinkee sells out their allocation, whichever comes first. Will be available worldwide so if you’re outside the US, may as well call your boutique or AD now.

At end of day US time, looks like Hodinkee still has them in stock. Seems maybe they don’t have the kind of clout they used to - even without being completely limited to 125, they’d usually sell out that number in a couple minutes
Not really surprised they didn't sell out right away. The watches are $8K each, the watch market has been slowing (been reading about it everywhere), and a tide complication doesn't seem to be in huge demand, as demonstrated by the lack of other watches with it (including TH).

I think the big question is will these sell out in a reasonable amount of time, or will these end up in the discount outlets next year?

@Jeff Stein - Esthetically, this is a winner (IMHO). The only design decision I am not on board with are the main hands - especially when seeing the novelty nestled among its ancestors…
These are fairly traditional Heuer hands, a style that was used on various Carreras and Autavias.

The “bund” hands might have been nice.

Jeff

Not at all shocked that they still haven’t sold the initial 125 allocated to them. The market being as it is currently.

That isn’t helped by their website prompting you to add your email address to be informed once it’s released…but them then sending three emails about various Hodinkee services, like their app, but not actually sending anything about the watch which I signed up to receive the info on!