New Post: TAG Heuer’s 2020 Vision

New post is up- an interview with Guy Bove (below) and Guy Semon covering the Heuer 01 movement, the Autavia Isograph...and even a (quick) update on the Grand Carrera Heuer 03 XT

https://www.calibre11.com/tag-heuers-2020-vision/

gbove-40.jpeg

Interesting stuff. No Grand Carrera after all then.... still not sure if the Autavia was 'recalled' or not. If it was, then I still don't see how owners shouldn't be worried... surely if there was no problem with it then what was the purpose of recalling it?

Well they’re certainly not telling the whole story. I had a few AD’s on the phone a couple of weeks ago. They had Isographs listed for sale but told me they were shipped back at the request of Tag Heuer. Seems like a strong measure if these watches would be fine.

Well they’re certainly not telling the whole story. I had a few AD’s on the phone a couple of weeks ago. They had Isographs listed for sale but told me they were shipped back at the request of Tag Heuer. Seems like a strong measure if these watches would be fine.
No, I think this would be the normal approach. If they are launching a new Autavia Calibre 5 in the next few months, then you wouldn't want there to be any stock of the Isograph in the stores when the new watches arrived. That would confuse customers, not all of whom get the difference between the two models that will look 99.99% the same.

OK, some outlets will sell through their allocation, but the only way to be sure is to recall the watches still in the channels and then be sure that all Autavia Calibre 5s in stores are the new ones.

There was a similar approach- under different circumstances- will the Calibre 1969. There was no issue with the movement, but when it was decided to cancel the watch, all Carrera 1969s were sent back. I recall a couple of years ago that TAG Heuer in Australia had to send back the Carrera Calibre 36 range, even though they were selling well in AU...because a global decision had been made to discontinue the watch.

So does that mean the Isograph Autavias would go to the outlets?

I notice he totally dodged the question on the Heuer 03XT too....

I notice he totally dodged the question on the Heuer 03XT too....
I fear that watch died the moment that the oscillator was given to Zenith...given that was a few years ago now, I wonder if he's even seen it!

No, I think this would be the normal approach. If they are launching a new Autavia Calibre 5 in the next few months, then you wouldn't want there to be any stock of the Isograph in the stores when the new watches arrived. That would confuse customers, not all of whom get the difference between the two models that will look 99.99% the same.

OK, some outlets will sell through their allocation, but the only way to be sure is to recall the watches still in the channels and then be sure that all Autavia Calibre 5s in stores are the new ones.

There was a similar approach- under different circumstances- will the Calibre 1969. There was no issue with the movement, but when it was decided to cancel the watch, all Carrera 1969s were sent back. I recall a couple of years ago that TAG Heuer in Australia had to send back the Carrera Calibre 36 range, even though they were selling well in AU...because a global decision had been made to discontinue the watch.

yes strategy makes sense

I recall a couple of years ago that TAG Heuer in Australia had to send back the Carrera Calibre 36 range, even though they were selling well in AU...because a global decision had been made to discontinue the watch.

I think I bought the last black, titanium Carrera Calibre 36 that was available in the boutiques in Australia. I got a cracking deal too and that was in November 2017.

I fear that watch died the moment that the oscillator was given to Zenith...given that was a few years ago now, I wonder if he's even seen it!

I'm not sure I read the response the same way. Saying he hadn't heard the words 'Grand Carrera' came across as a politician's response to me, i.e. neither confirming nor denying.

Well, at least Guy Semon said himself the Isograph that was delivered had passed the test and won't be need for recall.

Now i just wish i had the chance to get one of it :cautious:
Congrats on anyone that already hold on to it. Talking about winning a jackpot.

Still couldnt believe we will not have 03XT after all...buumerrrrrrrr:(

No Isograph...no 03XT....not even green aquaracer in my country :(:(:( totally a year to forget for me...

GS: This is indeed the direction we have taken. While we were able to deliver a few early units of the watch to select clients, the success of the model generated high demand that is currently exceeding our production capacity for this new component integration.

We are evaluating the best course of action to continue to meet that excitement in all our markets and will keep you closely informed on the availability of the watch in the coming months. In the meantime you can look forward to the launch of the Autavia Chronometer Calibre 5, coming soon in early 2020.

So the demand for this watch turned out to be higher than expected and the solution for this is to remove the exciting technology that got everyone excited to begin with :cautious:

Was hoping that they would tell us about the pricing of the non isograph versions but you got no hints about how much cheaper it would be @Calibre11 ?

I’m suspicious about their answer. They only sold a couple of hundred T nanographs and a few thousand Autavia. Not a whole lot so would be surprising if they’d be pushing the production limit of the Isograph with such modest quantities.

Now i just wish i had the chance to get one of it :cautious:
Congrats on anyone that already hold on to it. Talking about winning a jackpot.

No Isograph...no 03XT....not even green aquaracer in my country :(:(:( totally a year to forget for me...
Maybe... but Guy Semon said , that they really want to bring back the Isograph later. So the scarcity might just be a matter of time.

I’m suspicious about their answer. They only sold a couple of hundred T nanographs and a few thousand Autavia. Not a whole lot so would be surprising if they’d be pushing the production limit of the Isograph with such modest quantities.
Was thinking the exact same thing

GS: This is indeed the direction we have taken. While we were able to deliver a few early units of the watch to select clients, the success of the model generated high demand that is currently exceeding our production capacity for this new component integration.

We are evaluating the best course of action to continue to meet that excitement in all our markets and will keep you closely informed on the availability of the watch in the coming months. In the meantime you can look forward to the launch of the Autavia Chronometer Calibre 5, coming soon in early 2020.

So the demand for this watch turned out to be higher than expected and the solution for this is to remove the exciting technology that got everyone excited to begin with :cautious:

Was hoping that they would tell us about the pricing of the non isograph versions but you got no hints about how much cheaper it would be @Calibre11 ?
So below is quite from an interview of Guy Semon I found on watches by sjx

“We have two machines – the only two in the world – both located in La Chaux-de-Fonds. But it is a scalable process. We have a capacity of producing 125,000 units a year with two machines. If we want to go higher, like one million units a year, we just increase the number of machines.”

If the popularity was so great and they only pushed out “a few thousand pieces” why would they stop? They have 125,000 unit per year capacity. Or just do a few thousand a year and run a Rolex like model and drive price up with limited supply. I don’t know if I completely buy that answer. But I understand why from a corporate view that is his answer for removing the Isograph.

I am very happy I was able to buy one. Literally the week after was when the recall news hit!
Edited:

Great article. My favorite part was the end:

While 2019 has been the year of the Monaco, 2020 feels like the right time for the Carrera, Connected and Aquaracer lines to be upgraded, and of course we hope to see new Autavia Chronograph models.

I really hope the Carrera gets a proper reboot.