Forums Latest Members

Is my TAG Heuer Authentic? All questions here please

1. TheCarGuyFL

TheCarGuyFL Nov 18, 2022

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I’m blind, but I don’t see a large difference in the lumepip of the two videos. To be honest, the first video the lumepip looks like it has me tail ring around it or it is recessed, where the second video it looks raised like on my watch (and that’s how the Watch looks on the Tag website’s stock photos. The other thing I noticed was that the hour/minute hands on the first video are seethrough/skeleton on the first half. Is that normal? None of the Aquaracers I’ve seen have that.

The one thing I did note in watching a few videos is that the lume of my watch appears to be off. The hands are matching colored (green) to the 12/3/6/9 markers. In a video I saw, the hands are blue, matching the other markers. What is the correct lume/color scheme?

2. JAH

JAH Nov 18, 2022

The sticker tag is printed wrong. Wrong margins text.
    Same sticker the fake ones come with. I would send back and get a refund.
    My AD bought Tags both have different sticker spacing. Usually a 100% tell for fakes.

3. JAH

JAH Nov 18, 2022

You could also open it up and take a pic of the movement....TH uses one type Fakes slightly different.

4. Militarydave

Militarydave Nov 21, 2022

I am visiting family this week and visited their local Tag Heuer stores. They didn't really have a lot on display and just out of curiosity I asked how much it would be to replace a battery. They quoted me $200 and would take over a week. I laughed and continued window shopping.

A local watchmaker charges $25 (just the battery) and can usually have it ready within a day.

5. Gambba

Gambba Nov 21, 2022

Most boutiques don’t have watchmakers in house so it will need to be sent to a central TH location by courier. Then they will also possible replace the caseback seal and will always pressure test it.

I change batteries on some of my watches and costs me peanuts obviously, but I understand where the pricing comes from in this case.

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 22, 2022

What watch was it? I sent my Microtimer back to TH for a battery and it was £85.

thingziliketoo likes this.
  7. jamesbizs

jamesbizs Nov 22, 2022

i do this for a living, and i do not understand where the price is coming from.... battery gaskets and o rings cost $10 in material on the high end. 5 minutes on pressure tester.

Militarydave likes this.
  8. imagwai

imagwai Nov 23, 2022

Sending a watch to TAG and back obviously adds quite a bit to the cost. I also imagine they do a clean up of the watch and bracelet as well. And then there's the brand prestige cost to factor in. :)

jamesbizs likes this.
  9. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 23, 2022

Don't think they clean up the watch unless you have a service. In fact my Microtimer came back scratched but I couldn't prove it. ::censored::

10. imagwai

imagwai Nov 23, 2022

That's poor. When I sent my Omega in for a battery change, they cleaned up the watch and fixed some scratches on the bracelet clasp. At the very least, I hope they clean around the seals.

11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 23, 2022

I think they replace the seals, because they would have to pressure test it. But no, you need to service it to get a polish.

12. imagwai

imagwai Nov 23, 2022

Yes, but you always get gunk around the seals so hopefully they do a case clean, at very least around the seal area, and don't just slap a new seal onto a dirty case.

13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 23, 2022

I guess they would... I only send things back that I don't want to/can't open myself, so I can't say for sure.

14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 23, 2022

I sent my 500M Aquaracer back, I couldn't get the back off. I wonder if they use a machine to put the back on for the 500m? Everything else I've managed to get off, but the Microtimer had the tiniest screws I've ever seen and I was not keen.

15. Militarydave

Militarydave Nov 23, 2022

I inquired about a TH "Link" WJ1117. The bracelet is pretty scratched up and I asked about that and they would also have to send that out, but didn't exactly give me a quote to polish all the scratches/swirls off it it.

I'll probably take it in to my local watchmaker before the holidays to get it serviced and inquire if they install new seals and pressure test it after battery replacement.

16. Militarydave

Militarydave Nov 23, 2022

Could someone enlighten me on what exactly a "pressure test" entails?

17. imagwai

imagwai Nov 23, 2022

It's a test of water-resistance and requires some machinery in order to be able to assure the watch will withstand different presssures/depth ratings. It's a pretty quick test, though.

18. jamesbizs

jamesbizs Nov 23, 2022

They might have some machine. But only once have I had a hard time removing the back from a watch. It's always all about having the right tools for the job. Removing links is the hard thing in my opinion...

19. Gambba

Gambba Nov 24, 2022

It’s the adding on of things like courier mentioned and the other admin/labour elements involved before it’s even touched a workbench.

Of course there’s a premium, because you have the boutiques margin and the service centres margin plus the other elements I mentioned involved, so it’s pretty easy to see how it adds up. It’s still overpriced for what is such a simple thing to do, but there’s more than just $10 and 20 mins of labour involved in the case of TH.

Now on the other hand if it was done in the boutique it should be cheap as chips.

Edited Nov 24, 2022
  20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 25, 2022

My local battery replacement shop can do pressure tests but only to 100M.