Forums Latest Members

Is my Vintage Heuer Authentic? All questions here please

1. Donna

Donna Jan 10, 2016

I was gifted a new Tag Heuer ladies watch quite a number of years ago, probably at least 15. I wore it only a few days while my other watch was being repaired. So it has been back in the original box all these years. I would like to sell it as I do not wear it but hesitate to do so in case it is fake. It did come from one of the jewellrey stores here but they also do not sell Tag Heuer anymore and have all had rumors of not being quite honest. So although the numbers are not one on top of the other but one on each of 2 sides. I am suspect but want to make sure. One number is WG1322-RO and looks original and the other number is RT8222 which looks a little bigger and not as deep engraved. How would one tell?

2. imagwai

imagwai Jan 10, 2016

I suspect it's real, but if you can post a picture then I'm sure we could tell.

3. automobilia42

automobilia42 Jan 10, 2016

Yes Donna, I would advice to take a picture and show it here, that's the best way to check the watch, but the numbers and positions of them does not raise an eyebrow here, sounds OK to me as Imagwai already mentioned above.

4. Suki

Suki Jul 20, 2016

Hi! Can check for me whether this is aut? Thanks.

IMG_20160718_021832_HDR.jpg
    mr-vantage likes this.
  5. automobilia42

automobilia42 Jul 20, 2016

Actually, not from this picture, need a much better picture than this one, preferably a couple of pictures made from different sides (front, rear, etc.) and do you have any more info like model number, numbers on the clasp and endlinks?

6. Suki

Suki Jul 20, 2016

Hi! Ok will get it frm the seller. Thanks.

automobilia42 likes this.
  7. automobilia42

automobilia42 Jul 20, 2016

You're welcome!

8. Suki

Suki Jul 21, 2016

IMG_20160722_013607_HDR.jpg IMG_20160722_013823_HDR.jpg IMG_20160722_013651_HDR.jpg

9. Suki

Suki Jul 21, 2016

These are the pics that i can get from the seller. Will these help? Thanks.

10. imagwai

imagwai Jul 21, 2016

Probably genuine, although the quality of the pictures is terrible. That's a ladies model at 27mm diameter.

11. automobilia42

automobilia42 Jul 21, 2016

Exactly as Imagwai says!

12. Suki

Suki Jul 21, 2016

Ok thanks. Yeah...the seller took it frm a room with a yellow light.

13. shboym

shboym Oct 16, 2016

Hi All,

I am looking for some expert opinion/advice about a Heuer Autavia 11063 V that was offered to me a couple of weeks ago. Below the configuration and my concern:
    - About the watch: it's a close-to-mint condition Autavia 11063 V, with a correct 11063 V case with sharp edges, unpolished. MH bezel, movement, dial and hands are in a superb condition as well.
    - The case number is '394XXX', which gives me concerns. According to the OTD reference table (http://www.onthedash.com/Guide/_Chronographs/62.Autavia/), this watch is supposed to have a black/black dial and different hands. Alternatively, this is a correct Viceroy, but then the case number and the bezel don't match.
    - Photos attached as a reference.

I think originality comes first. And even though I have identified the mismatch above, seeing the condition of the watch gives me doubt that this might have been assembled like this back then, and it falls under the category 'undocumented factory assembly' etc. I'd love to hear what the community thinks about this.

Thanks in advance!

001.jpg 002.jpg
  14. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 17, 2016

Hi,

The guys at OTD have done a power of work on case reference numbers, but I would be cautious about using them as hard and fast rules- especially in the early/ mid-1980s.

Yes, I'd say that there is a chance that the watch has been put together later (especially as the later Autavia 11063 with Viceroy colours is the 11063T- so not with the MH bezel.

Kmrk and shboym like this.
  15. shboym

shboym Oct 17, 2016

Thanks for your response, Calibre11! I could not agree more, especially on point #1: I have a lot of respect for the OTD's list and the effort behind it, and that's the exact reason why I always find it difficult when someone comes along challenging it. Btw: as someone pointed out on a different forum, the dial seems to be original but for a 1163, the bezel being MH instead of a T could be a factory option. So all original? Yes. Is this how it came from the factory? Well, hard to say.

16. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 17, 2016

It's also worth keeping in mind that in the early 1980s, Heuer was a bit of a mess. After Jack's exit in 1982, it was all hands to deck to keep the company alive. Sometimes we expect to see a logic and precision in- for example- which bezel is used that just wouldn't have been a huge priority back then.

I believe the OTD list is based on taking a series of samples from collectors. That's the best way that we have to work out serial numbers, but it's not bullet-proof.

shboym and automobilia42 like this.
  17. retroworx

retroworx Oct 18, 2016

Not new to vintage watches, but brand spanking new to chronographs and Heuer, so forgive the Newb question:

Is this a Heuer case/bezel/outer ring? It was advertised as such, but I cannot locate the model.

Thanks for any help locating the model or debunking it as a Heuer.

Best,

Susan

bezel.10.jpg

18. Calibre11

Calibre11 Editor of Calibre11.com Staff Member Oct 18, 2016

No, this isn't an Autavia case/ bezel, but it does look to use the Chronomatic movement. I don't know Breitling's back catalogue very well, but they were the other brand that used the distinctive left-crown movement, so I'd look there.

dc

19. retroworx

retroworx Oct 19, 2016

Thank you! I've learned it is a Kelek case that takes a Cal 12 or 15.

20. Momoleskine

Momoleskine Nov 2, 2016

Hello,
    I'm a happy owner of an Abercrombie & Fitch 2444 (picture below).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know the crown is wrong but I also have a heavy doubt about the hands (they seem shorter than they should be). I would be very grateful if I could get any opinion and (if possible) advice about how to find correct ones...

thingziliketoo likes this.