Forums Latest Members
  1. RushDom

RushDom Feb 10, 2023

I wouldn’t be so concerned about pricing here - buy the watch you truly love. None of these are rational purchases, and your enjoyment shouldn’t be tied to how good of a deal (or not) you managed to get.

Why not try sourcing a nice used Monaco? Try negotiating with Watchfinder, for instance.

For what it’s worth; I highly doubt your AD will match Swiss Watches Direct - I’ve had this poo pooed by other ADs in the past as SWD never actually have the watches in stock, so they’ve refuse to price match

imagwai likes this.
  2. McBeardy

McBeardy Feb 10, 2023

Unfortunately the rational does come into a certain price bracket & one that for me the Monaco (cal11) isn’t a £6,100 watch. I also don’t want to buy used, due the occasion I want to commemorate this with.

I don’t hold much hope on SWD as the are just a grey dealer. But I’ll do some more research over the weekend.

fingers crossed

3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 10, 2023

And seller of fakes into the bargain...

4. stevec14

stevec14 Feb 10, 2023

The Monaco is the watch for you. The carerra sounds like a contingency, and these never work.

10% sounds fine. If SWD are offering 15 then see if the AD will do 12.5 to meet in the middle. Yeah, you missed the boat with the EJ offer, but these things happen.

If not - get it at 10%. There will always be an opportunity to get cheaper if you wait long enough but Get the watch you want new and be happy.

don’t buy the carerra because you think it’s a better watch at a similar price. Watches (and their buyers) are a funny thing. We don’t do rational. Buy the one that sings and you won’t go far wrong.

5. RushDom

RushDom Feb 10, 2023

I agree completely with your sentiments, but I also suspect our friend McBeardy would have pulled the trigger on a Monaco by now - and not purchased a Speedmaster first! - if he was totally convinced by it…

Always trust your gut!

6. McBeardy

McBeardy Feb 10, 2023

Maybe you’re right maybe you’re not. Buying the watch to celebrate the birth of my child (after a Speedy entrance & just making it) whilst also my partner hating the Monaco & liking the Speedy was most likely the real reason. I wanted both, couldn’t get both so bought the one that offered the best option at the time, unfortunately having it in wrist for a few hours I could feel it really wasn’t for me.

7. Yago

Yago Feb 11, 2023

Sounds like you’re overthinking quite a bit :rolleyes:
    The Speedy is such an easy watch to love. Most people really fall in love with it once they put it on their wrist. So I’m surprised you had such a hard time trying to like it ;) That tells me something.
    I get that the new Speedies are a bit sterile but still, it seems like you couldn’t bond with it not because of what it is but because of what it isn’t.
    I won’t say listen, lighten up it’s only a watch because they’re important for me as well, as for everyone on here. But I don’t think in such finalities I suppose. It’s a journey in which I try to experience the watches I think I might like. Some stay, most go away. Even if it takes you ten years to experience your 3 grail watches then that is fine. We all need stuff to look forward to. So it’s all good.
    I would suggest you get out of your head because you don’t need it anymore. You already decided the budget is there. The accountant can go to sleep now. 10, 15, 20%, who cares. Time to choose with your heart and your gut, cos they’re always right. You returned the Speedy so that’s off the table. It’s now between the Carrera and the Monaco.
    A little exercise. Flip a coin between them and just before it falls you’ll know if you want it to be heads or tails.

McBeardy and Anthony.R like this.
  8. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Feb 11, 2023

Great advice Mate.
    As you say there will be watches that will come and go. Some will live up to the hype while others won't.
    For me the Speedy was never really on my list of must haves. Then when I go the 3861 it quickly went to the top of my Faves.

If it is to be the Monaco or the Carrera I'm sure the right decision will be made.

Yago likes this.
  9. bpsmith

bpsmith Feb 11, 2023

I know of a place offering 15% by discount code online. They are an AD with an actual shop and listed on TAG Heuer’s website. I have no affiliation and never been to the shop, but I did buy my Garmin Epix from them as nobody else was discounting them at the time. I will PM you the details @McBeardy, to help with the discount matching.

On the topic of choosing though, I agree with the above in that it shouldn’t come down to which has the better discount. Pick the one you like best, then chase the discount after.

10. bpsmith

bpsmith Feb 11, 2023

That’s got me looking at Monaco’s now. PMSL

McBeardy likes this.
  11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 11, 2023

He's an contrarian, like me?

That is actually a good idea! I like it...

McBeardy and Yago like this.
  12. YG_Rulz

YG_Rulz Feb 11, 2023

If you're not a stickler for getting a brand new from AD, you can also keep an eye out on ebay. I got a 2022 Monaco CAW211P for £3500 and another 2022 Monaco Gulf CAW211R for £3400, both on auctions. Of course the inherent risk of a fake does exist, although not many super fakes or clones of Monacos out there.

13. Yago

Yago Feb 11, 2023

It’s 42mm so should be perfect for you :rolleyes:

McBeardy likes this.
  14. Yago

Yago Feb 11, 2023

Indeed, speedmasters can be had bnib with a hefty discount on C24

15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 12, 2023

Should be, but I actually fell asleep (standing up) while trying one on! There's something about Omega that just turns me right off, it's probably the whole James Bond thing. I do kinda like the Planet Ocean watches though...
    [​IMG]

16. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Feb 12, 2023

Contrary to the contrarian, my favorite Omega is my Bond watch. (Oh and btw, it's 42mm) :D

20221213_103717.jpg

17. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Feb 12, 2023

Rob is just jealous ;) I agree, this is the only Omega I truly like

Mspeedster likes this.
  18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 12, 2023

Well, mesh and fauxtina.... truly predictable

Yago likes this.
  19. Yago

Yago Feb 13, 2023

I like that one a lot. Don't think it tops a speedmaster but they are so different so hard to compare. Tried it on at an airport some years ago and was impressed how it wears. I don't recall noticing the thickness. How would you say it compares to a speedy Michael? I heard the new blue Bond seamaster, which I also like, is quite a bit thicker.

Mspeedster likes this.
  20. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Feb 13, 2023

It wears well, very comfortable & super light as it's titanium. Yes at 13.0mm it's thinner than the new blue 60 years Bond (14.3mm) and also thinner than the standard Seamaster 300M (13.6mm). On the downside, the clasp is rather bulky and the mesh links around the holes of the bracelet are stiff. I needed to break-in that area to make the links more flexible, allowing the bracelet to conform better to my wrist shape.

My Speedmaster is the 39mm FOIS. So it's quite different, apples & oranges really. I was strongly considering the new 3861 Moonwatch at the time I bought the NTTD. Tried it on many many times, but just liked the NTTD better (despite its much higher price tag).

imagwai and Yago like this.