Forums Latest Members
  1. RockBurner

RockBurner May 11, 2020

This is essentially a pseudo "Declaration of Intent" and is obviously completely open to discussion and advice!

I've decided to start a long term hobby collection of watches. I don't have much in the way of "spare income" so this is going to be several years in the making and as such will very likely alter it's shape over time. In order to keep my thoughts on one place I beg the indulgence of the board to use this thread as a "placekeeper" for my decisions, if the forum owners are ok with that?

I've found myself following many of the threads here on Calibre11 and vicariously sharing the pleasure you all have with your watches, so wanted to share the same as and when I have something to share!

I've been considering my reactions as I see the photos of the various Tags and Heuers and comparing those reactions to the emotions I feel when I think about the watches I have now, and those I've owned in the past.
    As some of you may remember: I've owned a TAG Heuer 1000 Professional ref 844/5 from new and it still stirs my soul whenever I look at it.
    [​IMG]
    (I wonder if I've got the only 844 with a marked-up Calibre5 movement?
    [​IMG]
    Presumably something that happened the last time it went to Tag for a service!)
    (some better photos WILL be forthcoming, I promise!)
    In the past I've had a few other watches, mainly when the 844 has been off for servicing, or for other reasons, but I keep coming back to it. Nothing else feels "right".
    For example - this Swatch YIS407GA I bought simply because I liked the colour.... but after a few days I realised I missed the lume of the 844, the date window on the Swatch is tiny and even though I updated the 'Milanese' strap for a Jubilee style, it still didn't 'do it' for me.
    [​IMG]
    I also look at the undoubtedly beautifully designed Autavias, Monacos, Carreras, and also watches from other manufacturers, but I end up lost in the sheer volume of information and inevitably fall back to preferring the simplicity and singularity of purpose of the diver style, and the Heuer 1000 stylings.

So, with the above in mind, I've decided that I would like a bit of variety, but still with that feel and vibe of the 844.

My current plan is to build up a small collection of 1000 style watches, simply to give me the variety that I'm craving, but with the security and familiarity of the 42mm bodied 844.

Having looked through the Heuer & TAG Heuer catalogues I know that the 1000 only had a few automatic variants and one of these is the Orange dial 980.005 (as reviewed on Heuerville : https://heuerville.wordpress.com/2012/06/17/heuer-orange-diver-980-005-auto/ ), So that's the number one on the list.
    I've recently bought my girlfriend a 980.016* for her birthday, (she caught a look at it over my shoulder and went 'Ooooooo' - so that was an easy find!) and I love the look of it (photos coming soon - she receives it on Thursday... ;) ).

I also hope to include a decent original 844 (cathedral hands, red 24 hour indices etc) if I can find one for an affordable value. I love the dial on these - the 24 hour indices especially.

As time passes I hope to add to the variety with a PVD fully-lumed 'Night Diver' in Olive (980.106 - 42mm) or black ( 980.031 - 38mm), and one of the rare all pewter 982.106/006 which I think is an intriguing colourway (in my mind I've christened this the "Ghost" and I see it as a 'dress' watch). Obviously these are Quartz movements, not automatics.

2 more 'off-the-wall' options are a 756 Ladies size diver - I'm intrigued by the intricacy of these small watches; and a Simon Watches GMT customised version - but that would be a custom build, and I want some time to think about that one.

One thing I should add is that I am hoping that each and everyone of these watches would be a 'daily-wearer' (although obviously not all at once!) and I hope to find models that are in sufficiently good shape (but not museum quality) so that I can enjoy wearing the timepieces, not just gawp at them.

I may also consider 'making up' a watch that would be a deliberate 'Franken-watch' which would embody all my favourite aspects of the 1000, once I decide what those are! For example - it might be an Orange-dial in a 42mm black PVD case with the GMT movement (an unlikely combination - but certainly unique!)

So - am I mad? I hope that I'm not setting myself expectations that I can't reach, and I hope to be enjoying this hobby for quite a few years!

I've found a few sources where these watches may come up - but if anyone has any suggestions for favoured sellers that they're willing to share, I would be very grateful - personal recommendations are always the most valuable, especially in a game like this!

* From tag1000diver.com - a very good buying experience I have to say!

Edited May 11, 2020
    kappa_md and dtf like this.
  2. abrod520

abrod520 May 11, 2020

You can embed photos directly here, by taking the link to the file itself (flckr.com_____.jpg) or simply right-clicking on the photo, selecting "Copy Image" and pasting here. Much easier than sending people off-site for hosted images, and as a bonus they're stored here when you do so future visitors to this thread can see them no matter what happens to Flickr's service!

As to your question on sources, set up eBay alerts is what I'd do

RockBurner likes this.
  3. MarkMoss

MarkMoss May 12, 2020

I'm a vertical collector myself (i.e. I just collect Carreras, rather than different models across the range (horizontal)). As long as there is enough variety in the model chosen, I think it makes for an interesting collection. I think you could make it work for 1000s.

RockBurner likes this.
  4. SteveP

SteveP May 12, 2020

Hi RB, As a fan of the Heuer divers in general (predominantly the 1000 models) I fully agree you can build a collection that will have great variety. I have, I guess, around 15 and they are all quite different. I, among others, will be happy to chat through any examples you see that you wish to discuss and query-it's what keeps us going! (well me anyway. :-/)

You have chosen some very specific models which is great to focus on, but are also some of the rarest and therefore most expensive. The 980.005 in particular will be in the £000s and is one of the rarest models out there. (the quartz 980.007 is virtually identical but a whole lot cheaper and easier to find!) The 24hr 'Monnin' follows shortly after but there are far more of those available than the elusive 980.005.

As you've started the conversation and opened the can of worms, I'll throw in my opinions also I'm afraid. I'm not a fan of the 'custom' models-I find they take away from the integrity of what in itself is an iconic and historical range of watches in their own right. I guess the only exception to this I guess, is as you say-for your own personal intrigue and private use. I AM a fan of any PVD models as a rule, but if you're looking for a daily 'beater' they are not the best choice-if they aren't well-used when you find them, they will be shortly after with daily use!

When looking at these divers, they are mostly quartz.....and that is not a bad thing. They are the ultimate 'grab and go' watch...they only thing then, that takes time is choosing which one of these fun guys to put on!

As a final point, yes the vintage Heuer collection is quite massive but there are a lot of fans out there who welcome the chance to help you start and narrow it down, if you decide you want to breach your comfort zone!

Best, Steve

RockBurner likes this.
  5. RockBurner

RockBurner May 12, 2020

Thanks for the input Mark and Steve!
    Glad to know I'm not the only person who knows what they like!
    I'm aware that I've chosen some of the rarer models, however I think that's what makes them interesting and I'm hoping that I will be able to be cautious and stick to my self imposed budget rules for at least a few months!

There's a. 005 currently on eBay which I'm watching, but I think it's massively overpriced. That model i think will be the "leader" of the collection!

Thinking overnight, I may also pick up some of the similar body divers from other brands, (eg Zodiac) if they press my buttons when I see them!

6. SteveP

SteveP May 12, 2020

I hope you're not referring to this atrocity-
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/263716034737Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

It's the only one that slightly resembles a 980.005 that I'm aware of currently. (if it were a genuine 980.005, the price is about right currently, maybe a little high.)

7. RockBurner

RockBurner May 12, 2020

I was actually, so obviously I'm not as good at spotting a fake as I thought I was. What am I missing?

8. SteveP

SteveP May 12, 2020

It takes time to notice! There are 2 main issues-

1 The Heuer shield font is very thin, so this has been refinished.
    2 There is (as far as we know) no such thing as a 844-3 with an orange dial.

On that 2nd point-if you're looking at these, the ONLY original models had 980.005 printed on the caseback and 'Swiss Made' on the dial. You will eventually see a lot of orange-dialled models with 844 on the caseback and 'Made in France' at the bottom of the dial. As far as many people believe, these were all made up of 844 cases (some Heuer, some other) and a batch of loose dials. There are some who dispute this and believe them original. For my part I do not, and nor do others I have spoken to who I trust to be knowledgeable.

Incidentally I've checked, the last 2 original 980.005s that I have listed sold for around $3500.

RockBurner likes this.
  9. RockBurner

RockBurner May 12, 2020

Ah. Very good info! Many thanks for those pointers!
    I have to say that i had noticed both points, but wasn't sure if they were issues, or just the usual early 80s TAG inconsistencies that seem to crop up. Many thanks for setting me straight!

SteveP likes this.
  10. kappa_md

kappa_md May 16, 2020

As long as you’re collecting those that speak to your heart, taking your time, doing your research, learning more about your collection, being passionate and reasonable, you are in the right direction :thumbsup:

I have to thank Calibre11 for helping me decide which path I’d go. Learned alot from here and truly the best TH enthusiast website! I’m fond of TAG Heuer’s remarkable history and involvement in motorsports/F1 so i went with that direction. In a way, made alot of good friends here in Calibre11 as we all share the same love and passion not just for watches but Heuer/TAG Heuer more specifically ::love:: Cheers bro!

RockBurner likes this.
  11. Michael156

Michael156 May 16, 2020

Ditto. The expertise, enthusiasm, experience, and passion here is unrivaled for TH. I, personally, have spent hours reading, from Davids works to conversations to just scanning the pics. Several times I’ve asked for advice and received it in spades.

A great group here!

Cheers to all,
    M

RockBurner and kappa_md like this.