2023 TAG Heuer Solargraph Titanium (WBP1180.BF0000)

I'm not trying to make a statement or convincing anyone or anything. Actually, I believe that Tag Heuer has some pretty decent value for money offerings amongst their current lineup.

I really fell for the Solargraph, love at first sight, no cap.

Sorry, this is the third time in the last two days that I've come across the word 'cap'. I'm very old and don't know what it means, could you explain it please. Is it just cap without the r in it? And if so, why is that necessary? Is it like when people abbreviate 'win' by saying 'double-yew', thus making it three times longer than it was in the first place? 😒

What? In what way is it ignorance? I told you earlier that people buy a TAG Heuer for the brand and design. And I think made it clear I am fully aware of the product being crap, but my heart desires it and I feel I want it. My heart longs for that sweet brand and the sexy design. And how it feels in my hand. How I feel when I touch it. How I feel when I gently run my finger over the crystal. Me feeling aroused turning the bezel. All of this, but I am not ignorant to the fact that the product is dawg shit.

Well then that's the difference between us, I like style but I think it's worthless without the substance to back it up.

But I agree, what a fool I was to believe everyone would think the same as I do, the world doesn't spin around my forehead.

Sorry, this is the third time in the last two days that I've come across the word 'cap'. I'm very old and don't know what it means, could you explain it please. Is it just cap without the r in it? And if so, why is that necessary? Is it like when people abbreviate 'win' by saying 'double-yee', thus making it three times longer?

No cap is a slang for "I mean it". It imply you're truly telling what you think.

No cap is a slang for "I mean it". It imply you're truly telling what you think.

Thank you. Although that doesn't really tally with the other example of where it was used.... someone insisted on showing me a video of a show called Perfect Match today, in it the contestants had to stand under water filled buckets one of which said 'FACT' on it and one of which said 'CAP'. They asked them questions and they had to stand under one of the buckets depending on whether they thought the answer was true or false. So you see my confusion...

What? In what way is it ignorance? I told you earlier that people buy a TAG Heuer for the brand and design. And I think made it clear I am fully aware of the product being crap, but my heart desires it and I feel I want it. My heart longs for that sweet brand and the sexy design. And how it feels in my hand. How I feel when I touch it. How I feel when I gently run my finger over the crystal. Me feeling aroused turning the bezel. All of this, but I am not ignorant to the fact that the product is dawg shit.

Dawg shit is probably a bit strong, but I concur that we know we are not really buying something that is genuinely value for money - because we like the look of the watches. It's not like there is another brand who make an 'Aquaracer' with a better movement we can buy. Really it's no different than buying a truly crap Gucci watch with a £1 quartz movement in it for £1000. We just don't like to think of it like that...

One of the big things that puts me off Tag's Cal 5 offerings is the plastic movement spacer. I mean I know it's functional but it hardly screams premium or Swiss watchmaking craftsmanship.

I also know it's hidden away behind a solid caseback, but sorry, what is inside does matter to me if I'm spending that much.

Maybe going a little off topic here, but do you guys know that caused the demise of the Calibre11 website ?? I loved, and I spent countless hours on it. I now find myself in the wayback machine browsing it. It truly was a delight of Tag Heuer knowledge.

Not that it was brand new tech, but not that it was off-the-shelves Eco drive either. That what i thought you guys believed about the Solargraph.
“Which would suggest not only TH-50 is a bespoke development but Tag just invented the very Solar quartz technology themselves.”

Quote from your above post. Certainly suggests that your opinion was that we thought TAG invented the tech. Not sure where you got that from tbh.

Maybe going a little off topic here, but do you guys know that caused the demise of the Calibre11 website ?? I loved, and I spent countless hours on it. I now find myself in the wayback machine browsing it. It truly was a delight of Tag Heuer knowledge.
David and TAG Heuer weren't aligned on the future direction of Calibre11.com. TAG obtained the rights to DC's work and DC decided to close his website. More details here: https://tagheuerforums.com/threads/end-of-an-era.141416/

“Which would suggest not only TH-50 is a bespoke development but Tag just invented the very Solar quartz technology themselves.”

Quote from your above post. Certainly suggests that your opinion was that we thought TAG invented the tech. Not sure where you got that from tbh.

The price, the price suggest that Tag did something deep with that TH-50 movement
I never implied that it was what you guys believed, but what Tag would want us to think.

Tag obtained the rights of the website ???
How ?? It wasn't affiliated with Tag in any way
Imma read that

Reading the thread, I am under the impression that it was funded by Tag. I didn't realise that at the time, I'd have been more polite about the 3 hand Autavias

Tag obtained the rights of the website ???
How ?? It wasn't affiliated with Tag in any way
Imma read that
Calibre11.com did receive funding from TAG Heuer. TAG did not obtain the website itself, but did acquire the contents. They are supposedly reworking some of it for their website. But it won't be exactly as it was on Calibre11.com

The price, the price suggest that Tag did something deep with that TH-50 movement
I never implied that it was what you guys believed, but what Tag would want us to think.
“Just thought I'll let people know 😉

Above quote was the line from your post directly under my last quote. It absolutely implies it was what we believed, seeing as though you felt that you had to explain.

Dawg shit is probably a bit strong, but I concur that we know we are not really buying something that is genuinely value for money - because we like the look of the watches. It's not like there is another brand who make an 'Aquaracer' with a better movement we can buy. Really it's no different than buying a truly crap Gucci watch with a £1 quartz movement in it for £1000. We just don't like to think of it like that...
Yeah sorry brobeans, I was just embracing some Archie way of speaking. Just in case someone misread, I don't mean that TAG Heuer calibre 5 watches come out of a dog's anus 👍 my point is just that I aint ignorant, I know that the quality is not top notch for the money but I still love and buy these wonderful watches!

Yes, sorry I should've spelled it out. Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt = FUD. It's not that I feel bad or am that fearful. I'm someone who should know better, as my career has taken me into the actual statistics of reliability and quality analysis. Yet I'm only human and all this negative rhetoric does have an effect even on me. So if it affects someone with my background, it surely isn't doing TAG any favors and perpetuates FUD throughout the forum at large.

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say is that while your intentions may have been good and you felt like you were doing a public service, you may have in fact done the opposite. Because regardless of the lack of science, it becomes a kind of propaganda against the Cal 5. I recall that it was enough to scare Hubert into cancelling his 844 tribute order.
Ok yes I see what you mean. Ironic because for me it had the opposite effect. I went from thinking that all of them break within two years, to thinking 'oh this is great only half of them break that quickly'. I ended up feeling this is good news, I will bet and take those odds if I have a 50/50 chance of getting a good one. I guess I prefer knowing than not knowing and I still think it is good the more we can learn. As with the service thread, lets do what we can to have all the bad and all the good come to the surface here, enabling us all a more fair chance of judging the quality of something.

I am at least happy to report that my crown action feels good, crown positions are decent and rather easy to find. I would of course never hand wind it, I have done it three times early on but it is such painful experience I will forever avoid it. I do the good ol' Seiko start, shake it firmly til' it runs again 😜

Maybe. Remember while the sample size is not representative, it is a sample of 'people who like TH watches and happen to own a calibre 5' not 'people who joined an Internet forum to complain their $2500 watch just broke', so you would expect it to be slanted towards 'look, calibre 5s never break'.
Actually, I feel it tainted the sample pool. Jim already knew the members who were vocal about Cal 5 problems and was sure to include them in his study. A completely random sampling from a much larger pool of anonymous TAG Heuer Cal 5 watch owners would have given a less biased result.

Actually, I feel it tainted the sample pool. Jim already knew the members who were vocal about Cal 5 problems and was sure to include them in his study.

I thought the sample was anyone on here who owns a calibre 5?

A completely random sampling from a much larger pool of anonymous TAG Heuer Cal 5 watch owners would have given a less biased result.

Agreed