Forums Latest Members

2023 TAG Heuer Solargraph Titanium (WBP1180.BF0000)

1. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Feb 23, 2023

Just thought I'll inform people who don't know the truth about TH-50, if you already do know then fine. I wasn't implying that everyone on this board was clueless, just that some might want to know a little more about Solargraph before making a decision. That's it.

bpsmith likes this.
  2. imagwai

imagwai Feb 23, 2023

I think most people here considered it a bit overpriced for what it was. Maybe that can be something we can all agree on. :)

Mspeedster and bpsmith like this.
  3. bpsmith

bpsmith Feb 23, 2023

The problem is that it’s hidden alongside everything else that is now overpriced.

dtf likes this.
  4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 23, 2023

As I will never open an automatic watch I can live with knowing I will never have to look at it. But that's not really the point, I agree.

I understand my Aquagraph has a gold rotor, which I will also never see. And the point of that is???

5. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Feb 23, 2023

I don't know what the sample was, but didn't seem like everyone owning a Cal 5 was queried. Jim stated 4 out of 7 buyers had Cal 5 movement issues. But even if the sample size was bigger, by knowingly including members who've had issues (like you, Rob & others), it presets a bias and taints the sample pool.

Edited Feb 23, 2023
  6. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Feb 24, 2023

Keeeewl!!!!

7. dtf

dtf Feb 24, 2023

It started off as a super secret conversation amongst the science club and was then expanded to all comers after the post went live, I believe it now includes results from everyone who has commented. If not, time for more science!

Fwiw, I still love my c5 aquaracer, apart from the strap being grubby, the watch still looks great after 4 years of hard wear - the ceramic bezel is unmarked, the markers contrast beautifully with the dial. I'm sure the day will come where it fails, and I either install a COSC eta movement or a quartz (jury is out, I like the idea of making a better way AR than tag ever did, but I also like not having to worry about vibration and magnetism).

8. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Feb 24, 2023

The real question would be ; do this extend to all ETA2824 watches ?

The sample is definitely too small to draw conclusions. What about others ETA2824 from others brands ? B17, O722 ?? Does Breitling and Oris boards are flooded with reliability complains regarding the entry-level ETA ?

If so, then we might see some pattern. If not, either sample from original study was too small, hence the results, or the study was perfectly fine and Tag Heuer doesn't know how to properly, reliably fit & adjust an ETA2824 into a watch.

Edited Feb 24, 2023
  9. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Feb 24, 2023

I wish I had the knowledge and craftsmanship to swap my watches movements.

10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 24, 2023

[​IMG]

11. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 24, 2023

Say what you like, I've had two and they've both had to be repaired. Not a good strike rate. It's not as if either of them were even used that often. My WAY208C has been worn like 25 times. And my wife's Oris probably only slightly more.

12. Chrisred71

Chrisred71 Feb 24, 2023

I often refers to this car analogy, like a transparent caseback is similar to the glass/lexan panel you'll find on supercars like the F40, EB110 and even the mighty Mac F1. It expose the glorious engine to daylight.

Custom gold rotor is cool ! It seems to be gone from modern Tags.

13. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 24, 2023

I presume not, if so TAG would be inundated with returns. I guess I am just unlucky to have a 100% fail rate.

I'm guessing though that if you use it constantly and never have to wind it that would help.. still have to run the gauntlet of the crown to change the date though. And that's definitely NOT just me. Jim tried on several Calibre 5 watches in an AD earlier this year and he thought the crown was shitty then, he even asked me about mine as he thought the ones in the shop might be broken.

My Cal 5, it's really really hard to find the positions on the crown, so you think you are changing the hands but you are actually changing the date. You think you are changing the date and you are winding it. Or you start changing the date and then the crown slips to the side and you're in no man's land. I sent it back for repair but it was just the same when it came back. I asked a guy in the TAG boutique in Bicester about it and he kind of said 'Mmmmm, well.... they aren't great'.

And yet here I am looking to buy the unreleased green 200, with it's crappy Calibre Cinqo movement. :confused:

thingziliketoo and Jim Dollares like this.
  14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 24, 2023

Cool, but pointless. Only the service centre will see it.

15. Jemagloh

Jemagloh Feb 24, 2023

I've been fortunate with my Cal 5s, but even this morning while setting the 844 Tribute, the second hand tried to move with the hands while setting the time. I just pushed the crown in, barely pulled it back out, gave it a small wind, then resumed the process normally. Whew. I think it is good to go at this point.

thingziliketoo likes this.
  16. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Feb 24, 2023

It's like the crown is vaguely connected to the movement, by a hair or something.... :rolleyes:

17. abrod520

abrod520 Feb 24, 2023

Has happened to me

18. Claus BJ

Claus BJ Jul 25, 2023

Hi.

Has anyone read about the expected lifespan of the solar cells. For how long will they be able to sustain the watch?

19. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 25, 2023

15 Years