Albert-AMG likes this.
  2. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 10, 2022

3. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 10, 2022

4. Akineton

Akineton Feb 10, 2022

Correct.
    I've been reading the 'reviews' today (more like 'news' without the physical thing in their hands yet) and my induction from the first pix got straightened out.
    TBH, I'm slightly bummed out that the 42mm is a different watch (design-wise), and not the 45mm in a smaller version (like my 2nd gen 41mm being a smaller 2nd gen 45mm, which until now I just stare at it thinking what beautiful piece of machinery it is).
    Interestingly, the girl who was with me today loved the 42mm, and some reviews are qualifying the 45mm as sportier and more masculine. Perhaps TH wanted to be more aggressively inclusive of the tender gender. They might have reached their goal.

Still, they are different watches, and I gravitate towards the 45mm -- in 41mm. Oh well, nothing is perfect. Literally.
    Again still, I'll eventually try it at an AD and decide.

Anthony.R likes this.
  5. Akineton

Akineton Feb 10, 2022

Although I remain agnostic regarding the whole sinology sentiment, I do see the point of Albert. As I do see yours in what regards technology (you rightly mention tech artifices). I believe that to capture Albert's point one needs to focus on the tradition and heritage (not tech) for which a (usually older, educated, middle-high class, etc.) person begins to be willing to pay a sometimes hefty premium: e.g., French perfumes, Italian exotic cars, Swiss mechanical watches, etc. The interesting thing about this type of smartwatch is that it is a chimera of both worlds, and the jury is still out on how the market will respond. The tech part of the smartwatch does not care if it's made in Indonesia, Singapur, Mexico, or indeed China. The heritage part does. And deeply.

So far, TH's strategy seems to work, since, as I mentioned elsewhere, now there is a very sizeable tech-savvy 'creative class' that spends thousands of dollars every weekend strictly partying. "A 2k watch that looks super cool, with a luxury brand attached to it? Gimme! I spend more than that every weekend just having a good time. Oh and I'll get another one in 6 months". At least in North America (but maybe the Global North) one can see a lot of those 30 somethings types just out and about, partying. Certain groups of people, perhaps many, indeed became richer. And F.Arnault wants a piece of that, again, tech-savvy, nouveau rich, pie (who do not care where the item is built).

Would an eventual Chinese exotic car pose a serious threat to Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.? Perhaps. Perhaps not. Would a Chinese EV eventually pose a serious threat to Tesla? Anyone who regularly listens to Elon Musk already knows the answer to that.

BMW Works, Albert-AMG and cassis like this.
  6. cassis

cassis Feb 11, 2022

Now what i really don't understand is the lack of Spo2 sensor... seems so easy to integrate with the latest combo heart rate / Spo2 sensors available on the market... and this is such an important health marker. (ECG is another story and I fully understand why TH is not going that far).

Akineton likes this.
  7. AndySix

AndySix Feb 11, 2022

First video I have seen of it in real action. The small one looks good, but I prefer the larger one.

Akineton and Anthony.R like this.
  8. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Feb 11, 2022

Who is 'we'? Everybody in the world? ;)

I also could say: 'we really care where the watch is made when we going to pay a premium price for that watch'… because I know more people who care about that, as also the previous TAG Heuer management, just read these paragraphs from the press release when they launched Gen2 Modular 45:
    449A5E37-8633-4AF8-8692-07027F8055D6.jpeg 51358944-755F-4B4A-B257-5B30707FE8CB.jpeg

When we talk about the importance of the 'Swiss Made' label, it is not the same if we talk about luxury watches than smartphones or washing machines. Just as when we talk about the denomination of origin of a Rioja or Priorat wine... which are not a Rioja or Priorat if they are made in another country or region, not even a French champagne can be made in India... just as we like to know that a Mercedes-AMG engine is assembled by hand 'one man one engine' at the AMG headquarters in Affalterbach, 40 km from Stuttgart, and not in an anonymous factory in China, and it is also something that guarantees its quality, its quality control, and justifies its high price… If suddenly a new management of the brand decided that those AMG engines were to be manufactured in China, losing certain important features, losing reliability, and also increasing their price, as a customer I would not be very happy... that is what happened with Gen2 Modular 45 vs Gen3, and now continues with Gen4. Price of this new Gen4 is a joke if you compare it with the price of Gen2 Modular 45:

Steel Gen4 on rubber strap, Made in China, non Modular, price in February 2022: €1950 (EURO)

Titanium Gen2 on rubber strap, Swiss Made, Modular, price in February 2020: €1650 (EURO)

And another joke is the price increase of Gen4 straps vs Gen3 straps ::facepalm2::

9. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Feb 11, 2022

Hi Albert

I'm pretty excited to see the new E4.
    Im interested in the battery improvement and more importantly the Screen improvement in sunlight.
    These are the 2 main problems with Gen 3.

As we've had the discussion before I don't think we will ever see a Swiss made Connected ever again. But it makes the Connected Gen 2 even more special. Not only Swiss made but also Connected to eternity. The only Tag Heuer Smart Watch that will be usable in 20 years time.

BMW Works, Akineton and Albert-AMG like this.
  10. cassis

cassis Feb 11, 2022

@Albert-AMG
    Hi Albert,
    I fully understand what you say and also fully agree. What I meant is that we know now that TH decided to go for a Made in China product since Gen 3 and that there (should) be no way back.... And at the end this is a brand image and prestige issue but that is not affecting product quality (e.g iPhone etc.). There are great factories in China with highly skilled workers. But yes, I would prefer the watch to be swiss made... I agree with that.

Edited Feb 12, 2022
    BMW Works, Akineton and Albert-AMG like this.
  11. AndySix

AndySix Feb 11, 2022

What do you mean by this? Why is this usable in 20 years and not the other versions? :)

12. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Feb 11, 2022

Someone needs to tell Time & Tide that the E4 is not Swiss made and put together by the same watchmakers that make the Mechanical models.
    The last 2 Generations haven't been Swiss Made so it's pretty poor to make this mistake. 0E1707F0-E53D-4AE7-8144-0C29A4FBFF19.jpeg

Akineton, Jim Dollares and Albert-AMG like this.
  13. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Feb 11, 2022

Because of the Mechanical heads available
    Calibre 5 and Calibre 16. Also the Tourbillon.
    Only on Gen 2.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  14. AndySix

AndySix Feb 11, 2022

Ah, of course ::facepalm2::

Albert-AMG likes this.
  15. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Feb 11, 2022

Time & Tide constantly get their facts incorrect. They refer to cal 5 sometimes as in house, then in the next video they say the cal 5 is ETA and so on.

Anthony.R likes this.
  16. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Feb 11, 2022

Bloody Australians....HAHAHA.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  17. cassis

cassis Feb 11, 2022

Just my 2 cents but maybe the stainless steel case is indeed made in Switzerland and shipped to China for the watch assembly ? That would explain the Time & Tide mention... ?

18. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Feb 11, 2022

Could be right.

19. cassis

cassis Feb 11, 2022

So who's pre-ordering ;-). ?

20. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Feb 11, 2022

I want to but not without checking out the difference between 42 and 45.
    Will go in to Boutique on 10th March and buy which is more suitable. I'm leaning towards Titanium model in 45mm

cassis likes this.