Forums Latest Members

2022 TAG Heuer Connected (E4) - Discussions Thread

1. cassis

cassis Mar 14, 2023

This is already the case under WearOS 2 with the last Tag app update.

Feanor likes this.
  2. Feanor

Feanor Mar 15, 2023

So I updated my Connected E4 to Wear OS 3 yesterday. Here are my thoughts:
    Despite TAG Heuer's warning, the download and installing was very speedy with my WiFi connection. The watch needs to be reset, but the re-tethering to the phone is speedy and more seamless than before. The legacy Wear app is not needed any longer. The watch simply disappears from the app and you can uninstall this app. The watch is managed now exclusively through the TAG Heuer Connected app, which feels more seamless and simpler.
    Now moving to the positive of the update; the interface is now more modern with elegant animations. Wear OS 3, unlike Wear OS 2, allows each OEM to skin the OS, so now not all Wear OS 3 watches look the same. Amazingly TAG Heuer made a great job imbuing a specific TAG Heuer style in the most commonly used elements of the watch, including quick settings and even notifications, that now have a clear TAG Heuer style and same fonts as the TAG Heuer Wellness Apps, as well as the phone companion app. Deeper menus, like settings and app drawer remain common with Google's own Pixel watch.
    Now the apps; the Weather app now has the new, much improved Wear OS 3 style which includes weather for following days too. Also the Maps app and Keep app are new and fully supported. Unfortunately Google announced already that these apps are no longer supported on Wear OS 2 and, despite the fact that they still work, they will not be supported with updates. Specifically the Keep app is no longer available for Wear OS 2, if one makes the mistake of uninstalling it or resetting the watch. With Wear OS 3 there are no such problems.
    Finally the watch faces are once more the latest version that supports crown input and full colour even on AOD. Initially I got a scare, because the Wear OS 3 update reverts the watch face app to it's previous status with dark AOD, but an update waits for you to install right after and bring back all the latest watch face goodness.
    Battery life seems also good and unaffected by the update.
    And now the bad; the elephant in the room is the removal of Google Assistant. Google still hasn't made Assistant available on Wear OS 3 devices that run the same SoC as the TAG Heuer Connected E4 (the Snapdragon Wear 4100+), so by installing the new version of OS, you erase the Assistant. I can imagine this to be a deal-breaker for many people. I personally use heavily the Google Keep app, which is supported only by Wear OS 3 and never the Assistant, so in the end the decision was done for me. Also, let's face it, the Assistant in Wear OS 2 was really bad, so the removal is not as a big deal for people that are in demand of a proper assistant. But not everyone is the same, so for people that need a digital assistant on their watch, this update is a big no-go. I really hope that finally Google will bring back the Assistant for 4100+ devices, but I'm starting losing hope.
    Another important issue that comes with Wear OS 3 is the re-assignment of the push buttons to different functions. With Wear OS 3 the lower button is dedicated to the app switcher and not possible to map by the user. Now there is only one button for the users to assign to their favourite function or app, the upper one. I think the task switcher in such a small device is not as useful as the possibility to have a fast access to your two favourite apps.
    One smaller change that I lament, common for all Wear OS 3 devices is the redesigning of the app drawer that now is a front facing carousel instead of the elegant circular one from Wear OS 2, but this is nitpicking.
    All in all, a great update, an excellent job by TAG Heuer who executed their part perfectly. If only Google had done their part too...

3. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Mar 15, 2023

Great review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    New Watch faces will be introduced in April and the Team continue to work with Google on providing Assistant and Wallet support for IOS.

I also think Tag have done a great job.
    Feel free to post your review on the
    Tag Heuer Connected Facebook Group.

4. Feanor

Feanor Mar 15, 2023

I hope you're right about TAG Heuer working on Assistant being ported to Snapdragon Wear 4100+ watches. Soon the market will welcome the first watches based on the successor chip, the W5+ Gen 1, and the time is ticking for the 4100+. Google was supposed to rework the Wear OS platform in order to correct the mistakes of the past, but the transition has been bumpier than ever and if Google wants to gain back some credibility, the porting of Google Assistant on the 4100+ is a must.

5. cassis

cassis Mar 15, 2023

Thanks a lot for your review.
    I think it is bad that the lower button cannot be assigned to a specific function like before. I enjoyed having it mapped to the timer for example.. And I really don't care about this app switcher shortcut....Can't understand why they are not leaving the choice for users to map it to something else...

6. Feanor

Feanor Mar 15, 2023

It's simple; having one button permanently assigned to the most recent apps is a direct rip-off from the Apple Watch, which has only one physical button and works exactly the same way. Google felt compelled to copy aspects of the most successful smartwatch, even though actually Wear OS had the better interface ideas. Replacing a configurable physical button with a less useful "Recent Apps" button was one of them, removal of navigational gestures was another one, because "...anyway the Apple Watch doesn't have such gestures, the market looks only to the Apple Watch" and most of the clientele remains oblivious to better interface ideas by Google.
    Thankfully, at least many Wear OS devices still maintain two physical buttons since the Wear OS 2 days and thus, even if one of the two buttons goes wasted to the Recent Apps list (or The Dock as Apple calls it), there is still one configurable button remaining for most Wear OS watches.

Anthony.R and cassis like this.
  7. Fabrice001

Fabrice001 Mar 15, 2023

Bonjour,

J'ai un problème avec mon E4 depuis la nouvelle version 3.2, je ne peux pas supprimer l'affichage permanent. Quand je l'éteins, il se rallume à chaque fois... Quelqu'un a ce problème ? Je ne trouve pas la solution.

8. HaloInReverse

HaloInReverse Mar 15, 2023

Is it just me or can you not turn off the display? When I put the E4 on its charging base along with my phone, every time I turn the always-on display off, the Connected app resets it to always be on.

9. Fabrice001

Fabrice001 Mar 16, 2023

When I deactivate the Always-on display function, it reactivates after 2 or 3 seconds. Unable to disable the function.

10. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Mar 16, 2023

On your swipe down screen there is a bed icon. Use that.

11. Feanor

Feanor Mar 16, 2023

I don't have this problem. Are you sure you don't have the Tilt-to-wake function on? Of course if you have the Tilt-to-wake function on, the screen will wake everytime you face the watch.

12. Fabrice001

Fabrice001 Mar 16, 2023

Thank you very much Anthony.R and FEANO for your answers. I'll try all of that and watch.

Anthony.R likes this.
  13. Colin Jamieson

Colin Jamieson Mar 17, 2023

I really hope that support for Wallet comes back soon. Unfortunately, I didn't read the FAQs before upgrading and between the loss of Wallet and being able to assign the bottom button to Wallet (it was my main method of payment) I really seriously regret the upgrade. Do you have reason to be confident it will be back? I'm actually wondering if I could take the watch back to a store for a preventive battery replacement just to get back to the previous version.

On that note, does anyone know if the battery replacement programme I've read about, but not officially from Tag, is a real thing in the UK? As I understand it from 3rd party sites the programme allows you to take a Calibre E4 to a Tag Store and for a fee they'll swap it with one that's had a battery replacement. Too good to be true?

https://www.wired.com/story/tag-heuer-connected-45-and-42-smartwatch-2022/

14. Feanor

Feanor Mar 17, 2023

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I definitely wouldn't update, if I had to give up smartwatch payments. It's my second most important reason to have a smartwatch. Coincidentally I also had Wallet assigned to the lower button on Wear OS 2, but on Wear OS 3 double-pressing the crown opens Wallet by default. In my case Wallet is available, as my phone is a Pixel. I actually didn't know that Google Wallet was working before on a Wear OS watch tethered on an iPhone.

I heard something about a battery replacement programme, but I don't know whether it is true.

Colin Jamieson likes this.
  15. Colin Jamieson

Colin Jamieson Mar 17, 2023

Good to know about the double-press opening Wallet. Think that's how it worked on the Apple Watches I always had before and I'd be delighted with that, assuming Wallet comes back.

16. Fabrice001

Fabrice001 Mar 17, 2023

Ça recommence, à chaque fois que je désactive la fonction Always-on display, ça se réactive aussitôt. Pour voir la photo. Il fait la même chose si je fais sur la montre.

Screenshot_20230317-232452_TAG Heuer Connected.jpg
  17. Feanor

Feanor Mar 18, 2023

So, you transitioned from Apple Watch to TAG Heuer Connected? How has your experience been so far? I guess in functionality the TAG Heuer Connected cannot match the Apple Watch, but I believe it feels more special. For me the Connected has always been 70% watch and 30% smart device, whereas the Apple Watch feels to me 90% smart device but only 10% watch.

cassis, Albert-AMG and Anthony.R like this.
  18. Joseph Grather

Joseph Grather Mar 19, 2023

i did the system update and now i can’t connect watch to os3.
    i did all troubleshooting twice.
    watch is connected to TH

19. Colin Jamieson

Colin Jamieson Mar 19, 2023

To be honest it was an easy transition. The Apple Watch I had was a few years old so didn't have all the functionality newer ones had (like the always-on display and new sensors), so in most ways, the TAG was an upgrade. The only smart features I lost were those I had no interest in on a watch anyway, like making and receiving calls on the watch and answering text messages. I've always been pleasantly surprised by how well it works with an iPhone, at least until this new upgrade which has taken away Wallet.

There's no doubt the TAG is a much better-looking watch - friends with Apple Watches think the same. I doubt I'd be tempted to try an Apple Watch again.

The only difficulty transitioning was down to TAG's very poor instructions but there was enough help from here and TAG's support team to get familiar with it fairly quickly. I'm going to say it's more like 50% smart device and 50% nice watch.

Anthony.R likes this.
  20. ddavtian

ddavtian Mar 20, 2023

What is "os3"? After update watch is managed only through TH app on the phone. That's the same with other watches running OS 3, they are managed by manufacturer's apps, not by Google app anymore.