Forums Latest Members

2022 TAG Heuer Connected (E4) - Discussions Thread

1. Rob Willison

Rob Willison Sep 7, 2022

Hey Andy, I replied in another thread as well. I'm extremely happy with the titanium version. Recently had a bike accident and cracked my screen protector, but absolutely zero damage or scratches on the titanium or actual screen itself.

Akineton and Albert-AMG like this.
  2. Jamie McGuinness

Jamie McGuinness Sep 9, 2022

Question for iphone users:

Do you have to have show previews on “always” for iMessages to come through as notifications on watch?

appreciate the help

3. DavidStephensnon

DavidStephensnon Sep 12, 2022

Hello all!

Apologies if this has been asked before but a quick search didn't bring any results.

Previously I used a Samsung watch with a Samsung phone and their own "Samsung Health" app was really good. I'm now using the in built fitness app but it doesn't seem to have any options for weight training exercises?

It could very well be user error but does anyone know how to unlock this as an exercise? Or is there a better app to use? I did have a search for the Samsung app but no joy.

Thanks in advance!

4. Akineton

Akineton Sep 15, 2022

I know this is not what you asked, but if you don't find a solution, this is what I suggest.

Some brands are better than others in what they offer. I ended up wearing a Montblanc Summit 2 for dressy occasions, a Movado Connect 2.0 for work (teacher here, so I don't want to show off), a Tag Heuer E3 for gym/outdoors/partying, and the Tag Heuer E2 41 for elegant casual situations (the rest). [In case it counts, for sleep monitoring I use the Huawei Watch, after trying Garmin, Fitbit, Withings, etc., etc.]

Bottom line: Given the tight integration of Samsung Galaxy phones with their smartwatches, I'd consider for the gym (I'm an amateur classic bodybuilder) the Galaxy 4/5/Pro, and your TH for everything else.

My 2 cents.

5. Just Watching

Just Watching Sep 23, 2022

Been lingering around and reading the valuable information on this forum. Now decided to share my experience with E4, which has been less than favourable.

I purchased the 42mm at a Tag store in May. Was happy with the watches functionality and loved the way it looks. Biggest gripe, it was a little susceptible to scratches.

But after a couple of months of ownership, the bottom pusher got mushy and would only engage once pressed in all the way. The click was gone that Tag advertises as mechanical feel pusher. I assigned that button for weather updates, therefore used it much more often than the top pusher. So, it seems that the few months of use wore out the button. I brought the watch back to the store and the salespeople acknowledged the issue and sent it in for repair. Got the watch back almost a month later, to find out they just polished and did a flash update. They did nothing for the button, even though it was clearly stated on repair order, and I confirmed with customer service. So back went the watch to service. They have now acknowledged the issue and said they will send a new watch replacement. They said the replacement is on backorder and could take up to 8 weeks to come. Tag store is not providing a replacement. So, I owned the watch from May to end of July….and been out of a watch since then, and possibly another 6 weeks. This is far from the service I expected. Wish I had a better experience and things get resolved sooner than later, because really want to love this watch.

Surprised at how much I am missing having a smartwatch.

6. gmetrail

gmetrail Oct 1, 2022

Any news / idea / insights of when to expect WearOS 3 for the E4. The previous messaging was "in the fall". Perhaps something will get announced by Google at their event next week.

7. Akineton

Akineton Oct 1, 2022

Q4, so it could be anywhere between Oct and Dec.
    And yes, they might say something about it...

8. gmetrail

gmetrail Nov 8, 2022

I did send an email to support and the answer is that WearOS 3 roll out on the E4 is now happening in 2023.

Edited Nov 9, 2022
    Akineton likes this.
  9. ddavtian

ddavtian Nov 14, 2022

Hi all. I bought my first Tag, 42mm E4. I have had almost every possible Wear OS and Tizen watches, am familiar with OS. My current other watches are Samsung 5 and 5Pro, both running Wear OS 3, and few old ones on 2.5. I understand E4 will be upgraded to OS 3 sometimes in the future.

My first question is about tiles. Few of them show up in Chinese (I'm guessing it's Chinese). I'm in USA, San Francisco Bay area, bought from a local jewelery store. Is this normal?

Watch has few "Tic" apps installed. Is this a partnership between Tag and Mobvoi? Can I uninstall or freeze them?

I saw few faces (Eclipse, Classic) that have a light effect on them. I thought they'd be tied to gyro and would move around, like in Watchmaker or on Samsung. But they don't move, seem to be just part of the background image. Is this correct?

I have 7 days to decide, to keep 42mm, exchange for 45mm or return. Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you!

Screenshot_20221114_190446_Wear OS by Google.jpg
  10. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Nov 15, 2022

^ Post moved to this specific thread about Connected E4

@ddavtian , Connected E4 (and also E3) is made in China. I guess this is the explanation for these Chinese tiles…

11. ddavtian

ddavtian Nov 16, 2022

Thanks Albert.
    I decided to go with 45mm, 42 also felt good but it didn't look very different from Huawei GT2 watches.
    Chinese tiles disappeared themselves in the Wear app after 2 days.

Anthony.R and Albert-AMG like this.
  12. Feanor

Feanor Dec 11, 2022

For all waiting impatiently for an update of their TAG Heuer Connected E4 to Wear OS 3; I recently purchased a Pixel Watch running on Wear OS 3 and my experience so far has been a mixed bag, so I felt that sharing my thoughts would help people decide whether they really want to update to Wear OS 3, once it becomes available.
    Things to look forward to with an update to Wear OS 3 include smoother animations and transitions, better Google Maps and better Weather app on the wrist, And also there are the bad news that Google is abandoning the Keep app for Wear OS 2, so for those of us (like me) who are using Keep on their watch, updating to Wear OS 3 secures access to Keep.
    However there are also many aspects of Wear OS 3 that are worse, from my point of view, in comparison to Wear OS 2.
    - By far the worst offender is the abandoning of wrist gestures that currently allow viewing notifications on our TAG by simply flicking the wrist. With Wear OS 3 this functionality is removed and one needs to swipe or use the crown, which means engaging the other hand. So no more being able to check notifications on the go, when e.g. you carry shopping bags.
    - I also noticed that the album art has disappeared from the media player controller. Only the necessary buttons remain on a plain background.
    - The carousel of apps that elegantly follows the perimeter of a round screen has been replaced by a much more boring vertical list.
    - The upper physical button is no longer possible to map with your own preferred app, but dedicated to a multitasking function. However in such a small device having in hand your preferred app was better than multi-tasking through your recent apps.
    - ... and there is the glaring issue with Google Assistant not being available for the chip that powers the TAG Heuer Connected E4, the Snapdragon 4100+; there are rumours that Google is working on offering the Assistant on this chip in the future, but nothing is certain yet. This pretty much means that once the TAG Heuer Connected is updated to Wear OS 3, the Assistant will no longer be available for an unspecified amount of time. It's a shame that on the contrary the Assistant is available on the Pixel Watch (which runs on a Samsung Exynos chip) and it's pretty amazing.
    So, all in all, I will be very cautious once the update becomes available on the TAG Heuer Connected, and I may even decide not to update.

Marcio, Akineton, BMW Works and 2 others like this.
  13. Diego Burgos

Diego Burgos Jan 3, 2023

The watch is amazing, but the apps don't relay work as I thought they would. Hey Google doesn't work, Google assistant doesn't work. It is updated. I'm using IOS, Wear OS, Assistant, WiFi, Bluetooth, checked in the internet for answers but haven't been able to use is as thought it would. I have an E4

14. Mark Hollywood

Mark Hollywood Jan 12, 2023

Hello everyone

Owner of new E4 45mm here.

Lovely watch but my assistant isn't working properly. Voice commands will not open Phone, Text message or Maps (however, assistant will provide other things such as weather and stuff searched off the internet... just not open any phone Apps)

I've been in touch with Tag Heuer Customer Service and have had a very poor response basically saying that it's a Google issue and that I'm on my own with them... (and for this poor customer response alone I'm strongly considering returning the watch - I really expected better backup than this with such a costly product and "premium" brand.)

My question to you guys is - are your E4 watches all suffering similar "malfunctions"? Is every E4 similarly and seriously incapacitated at the moment? If this is how it's going to be, then the watch is going back, simple decision for me - who wants a "smartwatch" that won't start a call or end a text message from a voice command (even though the voice command is clearly being properly translated and transcribed onto screen)?

Let me know your thoughts please

Mark H

15. Diego Burgos

Diego Burgos Jan 12, 2023

I have the same frustration. There is no technical support. I have similar problems and can’t find an answer.

Mark Hollywood likes this.
  16. Mark Hollywood

Mark Hollywood Jan 12, 2023

Thanks for the quick reply Diego
    Have you contacted Google directly? That's what TAG Support suggested that I do...

17. Akineton

Akineton Jan 12, 2023

There have been several posts about this in the Facebook group. It seems that it has to do with the current processor (3 years old), which means that it may not be solved when Wear OS 3 arrives (See the link below).

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-wear-os-smartwatches-disappointing-ces-2023/

As many in these forums have pointed out, we buy these watches as aesthetically pleasing items first, and functionality second. I have several different Montblanc Summit for dressy occasions, and several different TH Connected for elegant casual situations. But for functionality, an ugly Apple watch is the choice if you have an iPhone, a mediocre looking Galaxy watch if you have a Samsung phone, or a so so looking Pixel watch if you have an Android phone in general. These 3 work perfectly in what they are supposed to offer. But they do not offer the satisfaction of having a TH (or MB) on your wrist with at least *some* functions (over and above a mono-functional mechanical watch).

Albert-AMG likes this.
  18. Mark Hollywood

Mark Hollywood Jan 13, 2023

Well, you'll have to speak for yourself on the "we buy these watches for form over function", because that simply does not reflect my own opinion and I'm pretty sure there is a large section of the community that feels the same. Stereotyping doesn't wash. I'm also not an avid FB user, so blind on any threads, despite searching like crazy all over the internet to discover whether it was just my watch or ALL E4s...

I wanted the TH for form *AND* function. And if the function isn't deliverable, then it's going back to manufacturer. I have an original TH Connected and it still works like a dream for all the functions including assistant, etc, and the battery is still going strong after several years use with battery life still greater than this new E4. I'm a pure sucker for "proper" watches, though - so if it's form over function then I'd simply be wearing one of my MB or TH automatic watches or my original Omega X-33 if I want the extra timekeeping functions... Being a sucker for proper watches is pretty much the only reason I would have a TH smartwatch - they feel like "proper" watches - unlike any other smartwatch, which all turn me off. A personal thing, I'm sure. I do want a smartwatch, but I can't tolerate plastic gizmo - it needs to be like an actual watch, but it also needs to be an actual smartwatch and not hamstrung in function for the sake of having a nice case and aesthetics. For the money being asked of the product, this is inexcusable. Or is this simply a "money no object" therefore "disposable item, so don't care" opinion that you're selling?

19. Diego Burgos

Diego Burgos Jan 13, 2023

Agree with you 100%. That is a personal opinion.
    In the other question you had, I have tried Google and TH but I don't get answers form anyone.

20. Mark Hollywood

Mark Hollywood Jan 19, 2023

Anybody else got watch face issues today? I have a "simple" watch face displayed (just white digital digits on a black/backlitblack background) and it won't display anything else. Other faces load momentarily but get immediately sent to background, seemingly over-ridden by the simple white digits...

Tried restarting twice to no avail.