Will your Aquaracer break? A shocking scientific study on the calibre 5

71913088.jpg
OK, I've seen it now. You could have just told me it was in the original post :whipped:

OK, I've seen it now. You could have just told me it was in the original post :whipped:
Sir, you offended me by questioning my research. I am a well established world famous mega expert. We dont take kindly to questions. Thats how science works you know.

Hi,

I have owned 3 or 4 Aquaracer (41mm and 43mm), all of them had a problem with the movement (power reserve, blocked crown etc). I have been wanting to buy the new 844 (if I can't find it, the last Aquaracer) for a few days but this post has put a stop to me.

So far my 844 LE is obviously fine, but I think it'll fare a bit better over time than other TAGs I've had. The crown is nicely designed, and no longer engages when you push it back in to screw it down - so I expect the Sellita rotor issue not to be a big problem even if it does occur.

So far my 844 LE is obviously fine, but I think it'll fare a bit better over time than other TAGs I've had. The crown is nicely designed, and no longer engages when you push it back in to screw it down - so I expect the Sellita rotor issue not to be a big problem even if it does occur.
You will be consulted in a year or two when it is time to do the next big mega research report

What I worry about is not the first few weeks of use but after several months or years, this is always the problem on Aquaracer with Sellita movement :-(

Still waiting for you to reveal the sample size of your study Jim

4 owners, about 8 watches? Although Virgile just added a handful more

As a "mega expert" in scientific research, I'm sure Jim already realises he'll need a bigger sample size next time. If Tag sold 100,000 Calibre 5 Aquaracers, then you'd need 2,345 responses to get a representative sample with 95% confidence in a 2% margin of error.

As a "mega expert" in scientific research, I'm sure Jim already realises he'll need a bigger sample size next time. If Tag sold 100,000 Calibre 5 Aquaracers, then you'd need 2,345 responses to get a representative sample with 95% confidence in a 2% margin of error.
Dude it sounds like you are using the old pre-PC definition of science. In modern society, science is what I feel and what I tell you . Science shall not be questioned, it is the truth cause I say so.

Seven owners participated but only four had issues yes

Seven owners participated but only four had issues yes

I think the sample size is number of watches not number of owners?

Dude it sounds like you are using the old pre-PC definition of science. In modern society, science is what I feel and what I tell you . Science shall not be questioned, it is the truth cause I say so.

Yes, unless we're presuming some kind of 'fault' on the part of the owner?

Yes, unless we're presuming some kind of 'fault' on the part of the owner?

Even if the owner was slightly rough with their watch, it shouldn't crack under pressure?

Even if the owner was slightly rough with their watch, it shouldn't crack under pressure?

Boom Boom!

What I worry about is not the first few weeks of use but after several months or years, this is always the problem on Aquaracer with Sellita movement :-(

I'm hopeful. I've got an IWC Mark XVIII (Tribute to Mark XI) with a Sellita-base movement and it's not showing any proclivity for problems, even after 4 years. The new Aquaracer is quite a step up in terms of external quality and I'm hoping that means they've done a bit more finishing on the base movement than they did in the previous Calibre 5 models.

I also don't worry too much though, because any watchmaker can easily repair or find parts for a Sellita SW200. It's a problematic in-house movement you'd really want to worry about

Dude, have you not heard a word where I just tried to explain science 🙄

The new Aquaracer is quite a step up in terms of external quality and I'm hoping that means they've done a bit more finishing on the base movement than they did in the previous Calibre 5 models.
If only they would acknowledge this then. Honestly though, remember when they launched the new AR and that kid Arnault showed up in his disturbingly white sneakaaaz? During that whole presentation they said zero words about the movement. All talk was about the pretty exterior, improved case ergonomic and so on. This to me kind of confirmed that the movement is the same story we've seen for years now. Dont you think that if they made any improvements to the movement, they would make sure that as many as possible were made aware?

Dont you think that if they made any improvements to the movement, they would make sure that as many as possible were made aware?

It's a good point, but it'd also require admitting that they previously enjoyed collecting real watch $$$$ for microbrand movement quality. Who knows, but I also think the new crown design will mitigate the issue even if it does pop up.

I have three Aquaracers! None have issues 😁 But all are chronographs. I still need to have an Aquaracer with a Calibre 5 😗

New from today, I hope it will work properly. In any case, the magnifying glass is well positioned on this one 😉