Will your Aquaracer break? A shocking scientific study on the calibre 5

Hi Albert, sorry to hear that your cal5 had developed a fault. Did your watchmaker have any idea why it failed. Do you always leave it on the watch winder when you are not using it
Thanks! 👍 But I’m more happy now with an ETA movement inside the Calibre 5 module 😀

My watchmaker told me that there was nothing broken, that the Sellita just needed a service… but considering the price to service it (and still having the same Sellita), I decided to go for a new ETA movement instead

I always leave it in the watchwinder when I’m not using it, but some weeks ago, even setting the watchwinder to maximum speed, the Sellita was stopping after 4 or 5 days, so I also had to manually wind it in addition. Suddenly one day, even after turning the crown 40 times, the watch did not start…

I’m not sure if all mechanical connected cal5 and cal16 heads use Selita or a mix of Selita and ETA. I guess there is no way of telling unless the back is opened. Maybe if any connected users with a mechanical head who have opened the back for some reason can comment here then we can answer this.
To know what is inside the Calibre 5 module we need to remove the caseback, for sure 😉

But we can directly see what is inside the Calibre 16 module 😀

It was not easy to spot, but I found the ETA logo here 👍:

And also the '7750’ stamp:

The Calibre 16 by Sellita would have the Sellita logo and 'SW500’ instead.

It was a nice surprise 😀, because being a watch from 2018, I was afraid it would have a Sellita movement due to restrictions on sales of ETA movements to brands outside the Swatch group

Thanks! 👍 But I’m more happy now with an ETA movement inside the Calibre 5 module 😀

My watchmaker told me that there was nothing broken, that the Sellita just needed a service… but considering the price to service it (and still having the same Sellita), I decided to go for a new ETA movement instead

I always leave it in the watchwinder when I’m not using it, but some weeks ago, even setting the watchwinder to maximum speed, the Sellita was stopping after 4 or 5 days, so I also had to manually wind it in addition. Suddenly one day, even after turning the crown 40 times, the watch did not start…

To know what is inside the Calibre 5 module we need to remove the caseback, for sure 😉

But we can directly see what is inside the Calibre 16 module 😀

It was not easy to spot, but I found the ETA logo here 👍:

And also the '7750’ stamp:

The Calibre 16 by Sellita would have the Sellita logo and 'SW500’ instead.

It was a nice surprise 😀, because being a watch from 2018, I was afraid it would have a Sellita movement due to restrictions on sales of ETA movements to brands outside the Swatch group
I have just checked my connected cal16s also, they also show eta 7750 25 jewels also. That is a very nice suprise also.

😁 😁

I was just following the instructions from the watch manufacturer 😟 😉

But I only started to hand wind it when the watch winder was not enough -even at the maximum TPD setting, which is twice the prescribed TPD for this movement- to charge it. So something was starting to not work properly in the Sellita... possibly it was asking for lubrication, since it had never been serviced since new, and it is 6 years old. Anyway, it doesn't seem normal to me that it suddenly stops working 😒, and for this reason I went for the new ETA movement instead of servicing the old Sellita in which I have no confidence after this experience.

Because it goes flat on the winder?
The only correct way to manually wind a calibro cinco is to shake it like its hot. What most people refer to as doing the "Seiko shake"

The only correct way to manually wind a calibro cinco is to shake it like its hot. What most people refer to as doing the "Seiko shake"
Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but I constantly hand wind my 2824s and SW200s with 25 half turns before I wear them. I must admit I am gentle but fingers crossed had no issues so far.

I have never handwound a 2824 or SW200 (that doesn’t have to power an additional module) for more than 5-10 turns in my entire live. Without ever having a problem.

No clue where these 20-, 30- or even 40-turns instructions are stemming from…