Will your Aquaracer break? A shocking scientific study on the calibre 5

Well, I can honestly say, none of my 8 calibre 5 movement watches broke within 5 minutes as if they would , and I can report all 8 are perfectly reliable and accurate. So the science is not working as mentioned in my house. Maybe I live in an alternate universe. That can be the only explanation

Four days should do it
It’s been 4 days and 9 hours now. Pleased to confirm that mine is still running and has only gained 23-24 secs over that period. That was using the second lowest setting for number of turns and bidirectional.

I am now going to stick it on my wrist and wear it today.

Well, I can honestly say, none of my 8 calibre 5 movement watches broke within 5 minutes as if they would , and I can report all 8 are perfectly reliable and accurate. So the science is not working as mentioned in my house. Maybe I live in an alternate universe. That can be the only explanation
Firstly, congrats on your 8 pieces. Sounds like a great collection. Can you confirm whether these are all Aquaracer’s or whether they are different models? Can you also confirm whether you manually wind or whether you use alternative methods? We can then compare like with like.

Secondly, any mention of actual Science in this thread is purely tongue in cheek, although the issue is very real for those of us who have been affected by what appears inevitable when manually winding.

Mine took 7 months to break, with me being very careful with it when wearing and also when manually winding.

Looks like you post in the Connected section most often. Just to clarify, can you also confirm you are talking about actual Calibre 5 movements, rather than virtual? 😀

Pleased for you... but do you hand wind them? Even some ADs have admitted to me that the Calibre 5 is the one that causes trouble.

Was dropping the Monaco back off at TH Lakeside yesterday (expecting a 3wk turn around but I'm away for 2wks so no biggy). The SA mentioned Aquaracers are currently their best sellers.

Was someone returning (complaining) their connected for not holding charge & having to be reset, a few months old & they weren't happy.

Pleased for you... but do you hand wind them? Even some ADs have admitted to me that the Calibre 5 is the one that causes trouble.
Yes, I rarely wear a watch longer than a week before I swap. So i wind it 30 rotations then wear it. I do wind gently and with care and always change the date at 6am. Is the problem spoken here about only the calibre 5 or general to all ETA 2824-2 and Selita SW200 movements ?

Looks like you post in the Connected section most often. Just to clarify, can you also confirm you are talking about actual Calibre 5 movements, rather than virtual? 😀
Hi yes the calibre 5 from Tag , either the ETA 2824-2 or the Selita SW200

Firstly, congrats on your 8 pieces. Sounds like a great collection. Can you confirm whether these are all Aquaracer’s or whether they are different models? Can you also confirm whether you manually wind or whether you use alternative methods? We can then compare like with like.

Secondly, any mention of actual Science in this thread is purely tongue in cheek, although the issue is very real for those of us who have been affected by what appears inevitable when manually winding.

Mine took 7 months to break, with me being very careful with it when wearing and also when manually winding.
Hi sure, it’s 3 Aquaracers , 1 F1 and 4 Carrera automatics .I swap watches each week and do not use a watch winder , I wind manually 30 times gently before I wear them and always change the date at 6am. Can I ask the problem being referred to here is it only calibre 5 from tag or all 2824-2/Selita Sw200 movements. Thx

Hi sure, it’s 3 Aquaracers , 1 F1 and 4 Carrera automatics .I swap watches each week and do not use a watch winder , I wind manually 30 times gently before I wear them and always change the date at 6am. Can I ask the problem being referred to here is it only calibre 5 from tag or all 2824-2/Selita Sw200 movements. Thx

That’s interesting, as manual winding is happening with you on a regular basis then. I only ever wound mine gently and around the same 30 half winds at most.

I only have experience of this problem with my Cailbre 5, but am led to believe it follows through to all SW200 movements.

That’s interesting, as manual winding is happening with you on a regular basis then. I only ever wound mine gently and around the same 30 half winds at most.

I only have experience of this problem with my Cailbre 5, but am led to believe it follows through to all SW200 movements.
I see, well this movement is by far the mostly widely used Swiss movement in the world ever. I really do find it hard to believe they are failing left right and centre to be honest here. There maybe a weakness in the manual wind action of some but I’ve never experienced it, nor anyone I know. The 43% fail rate , what time period is it over ? Not 2 years I’m sure maybe 20.

I see, well this movement is by far the mostly widely used Swiss movement in the world ever. I really do find it hard to believe they are failing left right and centre to be honest here. There maybe a weakness in the manual wind action of some but I’ve never experienced it, nor anyone I know. The 43% fail rate , what time period is it over ? Not 2 years I’m sure maybe 20.
The % is tongue in cheek, as it isn’t a fully scientific test.

There is a serious side though, as a good number of us have experienced the same issue, which is know to be systematic of this movement.

Mine only lasted 7 months from new, for example.

Failure rate of 100% for me, based on my single Aquaracer. 😀
Edited:

Is the problem spoken here about only the calibre 5 or general to all ETA 2824-2 and Selita SW200 movements ?

Here we discuss TAG's use of the type, which seems to be more problematic than other brands' use of the ebauche. I introduce examples on both sides from other brands to frame the issue: I have personally experienced the issue with microbrands and TAG but never with those with higher-grade finishing including examples from IWC and Breitling.

https://calibercorner.com/sellita-caliber-sw200-1/

Granted this is a comment on the SW200 not the ETA 2824, although it is mentioned and it is a clone of the ETA. The SW200 is what is used in Calibre 5 watches now.
Thanks for the warning , I am always very light when winding the watch, not ruff in any way, maybe I will wind it only 10 rotations instead of 30 in the future. It is agreed that the automatic rotor is the best way to wind the watches, but with 8 it seems a waste to keep them all on a watch winder not used. One final question , would pulling the crown out 2 positions to stop the watch from ticking but maintaining the spring power for a length of time, say a few weeks, do more harm ? It would mean that there is power on hand each time you wanted to use a stored watch by just pushing the crown back in ? Thx

Calibre 5 swap (ETA replaces Sellita)

To add another experience with this movement, my Carrera Calibre 5 Modular 45 (Sellita SW200-1 movement factory fitted) started working a little erratically some weeks ago (the watchwinder was not able to keep it running for more than 4-5 days, even with the setting of maximum turns per day) until suddenly one day, having wound it manually the night before, it stopped completely and it didn't start again 😲, even by winding it even more by hand or shaking it (It is true that the watch had never been serviced, and it is from 2018 😗)

The budget to repair it was about €360, and since I was going to spend more money than I would have liked, I decided to look at prices to fit a new ETA 2824-2 movement instead (my watchmaker confirmed that it is better and more reliable than the Sellita) and therefore at least improve the movement that the watch had.

I found this ETA movement in a German store (to avoid customs fees if I bought it in Switzerland) for €200 including shipping, and my watchmaker charged me €45 to change the movement, keeping the original date disc and TAG Heuer rotor, which are directly interchangeable between the Sellita and the ETA movements. The watchmaker told me that this new movement gives very good readings on the precision and amplitude machine 👍

Yup - the 2824-2 is a better quality version of the SW200-1, despite being nearly identical. Sellita copied the 2824-2 and re-engineered parts for cheaper construction, AFAIK. There were more issues with the SW200 originally, largely resolved with the -1, but it's still of lower quality than the 2824-2.

Of course, that does mean that the 2824-2 and parts for it are more expensive. I imagine the cost to repair your original SW200-1 was largely labour - swapping dial, hands, and rotor to a new movement is a lot simpler, after all!

To add another experience with this movement, my Carrera Calibre 5 Modular 45 (Sellita SW200-1 movement factory fitted) started working a little erratically some weeks ago (the watchwinder was not able to keep it running for more than 4-5 days, even with the setting of maximum turns per day) until suddenly one day, having wound it manually the night before, it stopped completely and it didn't start again 😲, even by winding it even more by hand or shaking it (It is true that the watch had never been serviced, and it is from 2018 😗)

The budget to repair it was about €360, and since I was going to spend more money than I would have liked, I decided to look at prices to fit a new ETA 2824-2 movement instead (my watchmaker confirmed that it is better and more reliable than the Sellita) and therefore at least improve the movement that the watch had.

I found this ETA movement in a German store (to avoid customs fees if I bought it in Switzerland) for €200 including shipping, and my watchmaker charged me €45 to change the movement, keeping the original date disc and TAG Heuer rotor, which are directly interchangeable between the Sellita and the ETA movements. The watchmaker told me that this new movement gives very good readings on the precision and amplitude machine 👍

Why should anyone have their calibro cinco serviced by TAG when an upgrade is this cheap! Well done bromigo!

Hi Albert, sorry to hear that your cal5 had developed a fault. Did your watchmaker have any idea why it failed. Do you always leave it on the watch winder when you are not using it ? I’m not sure if all mechanical connected cal5 and cal16 heads use Selita or a mix of Selita and ETA. I guess there is no way of telling unless the back is opened. Maybe if any connected users with a mechanical head who have opened the back for some reason can comment here then we can answer this.