Why I Love Tag Heuer

Greetings,

I was first introduced to the Tag Heuer family a few years ago while reading a DJ magazine. Within the pages, I saw a picture of David Guetta sporting a Carrera model. I was hooked on the design, the brand, the marketing and soon after the family aspect of the Tag Heuer name. I recently acquired my first Tag Heuer timepiece. It's a 1990's "professional" model. (REF WE1120-R) My question is, why is Tag Heuer shunned so completely by those members of the watch community? However, even with all of the outright disregard for the brand, I shall stay loyal and faithful!

What brought you all to the Tag Heuer family?

Best Wishes

Welcome Myles! You are living proof that the current brand ambassadors have brought new blood to the fold.

Regarding your questions; I personally think that the varied opinions of the brand have to do in large part to the ever changing transformation of the company, as it evolves and refocuses on new "markets", which end-up translating into a wide-range models and brand ambassadors. Traditional "watch fans" may not like the new "image", or may lack interest in entry-point offerings, like the F1-Quartz line, or more recently the 'Connected watch'. What matters is that these models, allow the brand to remain competitive and thus able to still produce amazing timepieces, including "heritage reeditions" for purists, as well as limited high-end avant-garde mechanical movements that are frequently honored by the industry.

Probably most of the watch-fans aged 35 and above (myself included), have incredible nostalgia and respect to the original Heuer brand, due to its remarkable heritage, innovation, and its very strong link to Motorsports since the 60's. To a degree, the Motorsports link continued when the company became 'TAG Heuer' after TAG (Techniques d'Avant Garde) purchased a majority stake in 1985. The brand transformed yet again in 1999, when TAG Heuer accepted a bid from LVMH (Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton S.A.). Since then, under the LVMH umbrella TAG Heuer continues to evolve, especially every few years when leadership changes.

In conclusion, I think that primarily due to its incredible history and heritage, TAG Heuer will never be able to escape its own past, which as you said brings mostly good comparisons, along with some detractors.

Hubert,

Thank you so much for you kind insight. The fact that you have responded to my post is indicative of the familial aspect of the TAG Heuer name.

Now, the brand re-imaging is something that I hold in high regard of the TAG Heuer brand. As I mentioned in the first part of my thread, I was attracted because of the high appeal of the marketing used in a DJ magazine. No other watch maker has such a far reaching campaign! TAG Heuer was able to reach me, a young man living in rural Oklahoma, through the pages of a magazine. The people who as you said have detracted from the brand refuse to get behind the brand's marketing claiming that it's "fake, overpriced and not 'real' luxury" However, the success of the brand image is evident! Look at successful companies in the world: Apple, Heineken, Chevrolet (and TAG Heuer). These names aren't limited to any particular market or customer. They are household names because they are accessible in every household. Granted, I am also aware of other such brands at Patek-Phillipe, Hublot, Rolex, Longines etc, but its thanks to TAG Heuer.

In my opinion, the luxury watch industry needs the credit when it's due and right now it's due to TAG Heuer!

Best!

Glad to have you on-board Myles; enjoy the forum! 👍

Welcome @Myles2012

I wouldn't worry too much about what some think- and you're right, there are a some people out there who don't like TAG Heuer, but you'll find this for every brand.

When I started Calibre 11 the first thing that I did was visit the manufacturing facilities. You'll read on the internet that TAG Heuer isn't a real watchmaker and is just a marketing company- and that was true in the 1980s. But that changed from the early 2000s. I saw the factory where the cases were made, the factory where the dials were made and the factory where the main components for the Calibre 1887 were made. Then I went to HQ where these movements were assembled and the watches put together. I've been to the high-end workshop where a team of a handful of skilled watchmakers make entire watches by hand. The idea that TAG Heuer is just a marketing brand is simply not true. That doesn't mean you have to like the watches, just that the reason many give is wrong.

Now as part of another website I'm involved with (Time+Tide), I have visited many other brands and their factories. Well, in several cases, I should say their offices, because they don't make any watches themselves...it's all out-sourced. Who that is doesn't matter, I only raise it to show that fact and fiction get confused.

Most of my collection is TAG Heuer, but I have watches from other brands too and can appreciate their history and design. My advice would be to simply enjoy your watch and not worry about what internet experts think you should like.

Calibre 11,

Thank you so much for the wisdom and insight. Growing up in the middle of the internet age makes it somewhat difficult to avoid having one's choices influenced by the likes and dislikes of the "tastemakers" of the times. "Like this brand and this product rather than this one." With all of this in mind, I knew that I needed to choose a watch brand that would fit my needs first, and then my wants. Every single product, campaign and market approach helped me to ultimately decide to dedicate my focus on TAG Heuer.

At the end of the day, one has to put aside the opinions of others and make a decision for themselves. I chose TAG Heuer.

I know that my life's journey will always be accompanied by a TAG Heuer timepiece, where ever I go.

Best

Dear All,

Unlike Myles, i wasn't "born" TH person when i first started this crazy constructive hobby of wristwatch. The first watch i ever bought was Breitling Navitimer. It was a great experience. I really fall in love with the brand at that time. Fast forwarded few years after that I was about to get married. My fiancee (now my wife) asked me what do i want as wedding gift (customary, don't ask) so i told her i want a Breitling Cosmonaute. Imagine my feeling at that time when i opened the box and found Carrera calibre 6 WAS2112 ! (wasnt great feeling but wait for the whole story...). I couldn't complaint, she said Breitling is too costly and I respect her for even try to look for a watch for me (at least it automatic, was my thinking at that time).

Moving on from the time after the wedding. I seldom wear the Calibre 6 just for the reason it was TH not B. Then i decided to give it a shot for my friend's daughter b'day party. Dude, the comment i got (I'm not kidding and i don't know whether its true or not) from my friends (they already watch collector before me) was "no wonder IWC that model didn't sell well anymore now that TH made similar one!". Damn ! (wasn't feeling great again... but wait...)

Time goes on. I still wear my calibre 6 every now and then on occasion and of course every time i did my WIS (watch idiot savant, by now i am sure Myles know what they are) friends was like teasing me in every way possible like "is it TAG HEUER ? geez i didn't recognize it" and etc. They mean no harm but WIS mostly being WIS. I can't sell it. It's a wedding gift after all. but one thing i realized was this. IT IS A GREAT WATCH. yeah i am bit perfectionist myself, i timed how many seconds or minutes it looses in a week to a month etc. I know the movement inside, i know its not in-house but so does many other brands out there and still working very fine even until now (3 years running now without watch spa-day yet). As a result i wore it more and more often

Time flies, i never visited TH boutique until one day, one of my WIS friend out of nowhere was like "hey lets go check the TH Monaco with Elprimero movement" and i followed him to the store and he didn't ended up buying anything. I did. My first purchase of TH was Monaco LS calibre 12. My oh my what a watch it was for me. Love it. Since then my love for TH grew. I started to learn about TH history as well as reading countless of forum that bashing the brand, not to mention watching countless video about them on youtube. Archie luxury or whatever it is. I don't want to name them one by one but you will find a lot of them gathering viewers by making video titled something like "TH is a dog sh*te " !

I am not all about defending the brand either. After a year my Monaco was "deviated" a bit. The chrono hand was not exactly in line in the 12" position when you reset it. I took it to the SC and they fix it within 2 weeks (For me its a bit long). But you know what ? My friend who owned 3 APs (one of the holy trinity), have 2 of it serviced big time (one had the chrono pusher fell off and the other one have crown problem). Now i am not taking joy in other brand mishap. What i am implying here and what my friend would agree with me is that, in the end, watchmaking is an art and its hand made. We will never know if it can be 100% perfect or machine assembly can be 100% perfect either. Even Alange with its double-assembly method, I will never know. Only time will tell. Just pray for me ever owning one and i will tell you 😉.

I am now owning 4 TH and waiting for my Monza 2016. I already made appointment tomorrow to go to the boutique to see carrera 01 black ceramic + rose gold. What a love story it was in the end. About a brand that i hate to love and many people love to hate.

The point is Cailbre11 was right. If we are worried too much about what other people think. We will never enjoy what we truly should. Don't cheerlead the brand blindly either. Biver has the guts to bash his own company to make them great. We all should too.

Sorry for the long post. Been lurking in this forum for a while but only today after reading story by Myles that i feel like i want to write something. Feels good to get it out of the system. Oh by the way, i already sold my first watch and now i am known among my friends as Heuer Boy a.k.a proud owner of Tag Heuer

Amazing post man, I've seen a lot of hate to the brand from people who have never owned them(something I personally have a problem with) but of the many of us only a couple have had problems and for those reasons will not go back to the brand(more than fair enough). I'd say their history is fantastic and my Cal.5 runs amazing time +1 secs a day so they must be doing something right, I'd love to try an Omega too but I now have the soft spot for TAG and a Heuer 01, Aquaracer and a Quartz F1 would just finish the collection of TAGs nicely

A watch collection, of any brand, is never 'finished'.
😀
Very true But that'd be everything I could want from them, I would love a Heuer01/1887 before they move on to the Heuer03/1969

Hang around here for a while and you'll find a few others you need to. How about a JH80? The new monza?

Well in my case. I really want 3 now (the problem is almost at the same time). Maybe you guys can help.

I want:

1. Carrera 01 black ceramic rose gold
2. New monza
3. Carrera T02

Its all coming almost at the same time here in my country !

I know if i pulled the trigger on both monza and carrera 01 i will surely miss T02. But if i get T02 now, it will be the first one rather than the one i dream of (the phantom).

I am in a bit of confusion now. Many people suggest get the carrera 01 and forget the monza. Then save up for the T02.

What do you think ?

Well in my case. I really want 3 now (the problem is almost at the same time). Maybe you guys can help.

I want:

1. Carrera 01 black ceramic rose gold
2. New monza
3. Carrera T02

Its all coming almost at the same time here in my country !

I know if i pulled the trigger on both monza and carrera 01 i will surely miss T02. But if i get T02 now, it will be the first one rather than the one i dream of (the phantom).

I am in a bit of confusion now. Many people suggest get the carrera 01 and forget the monza. Then save up for the T02.

What do you think ?
I suggest getting the Monza now, then decide on which of the other two comes next.

Here is the pros and cons of the monza in my opinion:

Pro
1. Limited edition
2. Price wise is better than others selection
3. I never have "heuer" before. All my collection are TH and i really really want a "heuer" at least one in my collection.

Cons
1. I prefer the movement inside carrera heuer 01
2. Not a transparent case back
3. Diameter not as big (this could be pro or con but in my case i put it under con)

@Hubert thanks for the suggestion !

I have to say, that I am personally a big fan of TAG Heuer watches, but I am not a fan of their marketing department at all. They employ hive of ambassadors, and they focus on them too much, which makes me think that they spend too much money on them instead of spending those money on actual watchmaking.
I personally couldn't care less what watch is some DJ or some soccer player wearing, so in my case brand ambassadors discourage me from buying brands products. Having said that, I approve of their involvement with motorsport, since that is historically established and it is essential part of brand.
These are of course just my personal thoughts and I am afraid that I like TH watches so much that I will have to get over the ambassador thing again anyway.

I don't mind the ambassadors but I am not a fan of any of them by coincidence !
I prefer Calvin Harris than David Guetta
I prefer Messi to C.Ronaldo
and so on and so on...

Maybe it is better if the ambassadors they choose is the person who really care about the brand instead of being employed to promoted the brand.
One of the person I can think of is Obama (Lets put political views aside for a while). I think he really like his aquaracer. Or like Tom Cruise with his Bremont. I don't know if he is paid to promote the brand (which i doubt) but he seems to wear it "affectionately" (if that make sense to you)

Oh by the way @Hubert i finally pull trigger on Heuer 01 Black Ceramic Rose Gold. Man ! what a monster of watch ! i never own a TH in house before so i just found out its one of the smoothest crown turning movement out there with badass look !

Oh by the way @Hubert i finally pull trigger on Heuer 01 Black Ceramic Rose Gold. Man ! what a monster of watch ! i never own a TH in house before so i just found out its one of the smoothest crown turning movement out there with badass look !
Fantastic! Congratulations and please share some pictures of your new beast!

Family, TAG Heuer was my first ever good watch, specifically a Formula 1 Chronograph my brother gave me when he bought his Rolex SS Daytona. Since then I've gotten all three of his kids their start in watches with an Aquaracer for his daughter a vintage Formula 1 non chrono for the youngest, and that same Formula 1 chrono in blue followed by a blue Aquaracer automatic for the middle boy, so the tradition goes on.

Its probably the best every day wearable and durable Swiss watch brand that you can still buy at a reasonable price so even for kids under 14 I felt comfortable doing that.

I was 12 when that F1 first became mine so its never too early to start 😀