Forums Latest Members

What is your next purchase? / Wishlist?

1. TonyStark

TonyStark Jul 4, 2022

The ultra Chron is on my possibles list and remains there after today.

the omega world timer is really nice but… a little big and thick perhaps.

tje other two were just interesting try ons; I like the vintage top time so nice to see it back. The super ocean diver just surprised me how well it fit.

2. abrod520

abrod520 Jul 4, 2022

If my experience with the Superocean 57 is anything to go by, Breitling does a lot more to make the Sellita worthy of their price range than TAG does.

thingziliketoo and dtf like this.
  3. RushDom

RushDom Jul 4, 2022

The Ultra Chron looks awesome. Definitely one of the more unusual reissues we’ve seen recently!

I got to try on some watches over the weekend. First stop was my local Tudor AD who - to my surprise - had a reverse panda BB Chrono in the window for sale. The manager told me he had called everyone on his list but there were no takers…interesting. Is the hype subsiding? I tried it on - nice looking thing, although it didn’t exactly blow me away. I still find the whole “Baytona” styling a little odd, but it did wear very well and it felt incredibly solid. They also had the Black Bay Pro - pretty nice, but weird proportions. The new clasp is a real win, though.

Next…to Omega. I’ve been suffering from a bad case of Speedmaster-itis over the past couple of years, but each time I’ve intended to finally purchase one something else crops up that I want more! I tried on the new 3861 again, and I have to be honest - it still remains a watch that I like but I don’t love. I can’t put my finger on why - perhaps it’s the price, which I was told in no uncertain terms is increasing very shortly. £6k for a hesalite Speedy? Umm…no thank you. Something about the idea of picking up an absolutely battered used example without box and papers cheaply appeals more!

EBA9A6D3-439E-4221-98AD-0DB898457BE7.jpeg

Next I visited a large U.K. jeweller chain that had a very interesting display case full of pre-owned/nearly new stuff. When I say interesting, I mean it - two (!) boxed and unworn trilogy Seamasters, a few Zenith El Primeros, some really unusual Hamilton models and this…

EA1E4120-19F9-4550-A5D4-75FCB0A30AFF.jpeg
    It was new and unworn for a very, very generous discount. I’ve never seen any Glashutte Original in the metal and I came away rather impressed with the fit and finish - it looked great on the wrist too.

Finally, some other random musings - the Bulova Chronograph C is awesome, the Citizen Red Arrows chronograph was a real looker, and the new SuperOcean is one of the ugliest watches I’ve ever seen. :)

4. stevec14

stevec14 Jul 4, 2022

Sure, but the prices keep creeping up and They are within spitting distance of a Seamaster now price wise, and considerably more than a black bay 58 so there’s quite some competition in that price bracket.

I actually don’t mind them aesthetically (esp on the rubber) unlike some, just not convinced by the asking price.

5. TonyStark

TonyStark Jul 4, 2022

So I wasn’t particularly enamoured by the look of the super ocean; however I do advise to try one on the wrist it felt like it was moulded for mine.
    I would also say at 3500quid for a chronometer spec watch it’s offering a bit more than the equivalent tag.
    Not on one for me personally but thought some on this board would like to see it

stevec14 likes this.
  6. stevec14

stevec14 Jul 4, 2022

Did you happen to get a look at the turquoise or orange ones?

7. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 4, 2022

I know what you mean. I first intended to buy the Speedy Pro Moonwatch about 8 years ago, but bought the Speedy FOIS instead. This year the 3861 Moonwatch was again under consideration, but I bought the NTTD Seamaster instead.
    Were these for sale at retail price? Just curious... :whistling:

8. TonyStark

TonyStark Jul 4, 2022

They had a smaller 36/38mm? Turquoise dial one. Like that colour a lot!

9. TonyStark

TonyStark Jul 4, 2022

10. TonyStark

TonyStark Jul 4, 2022

That is a very handsome watcj

11. abrod520

abrod520 Jul 5, 2022

I agree, it's not ideal - however, the fact that these will be serviceable by any watchmaker long after the initial warranty expires is worth something IMO. And if they can put in the work to make the Sellita feel a bit higher-quality, I don't think it's that much of a drawback at all really.

As for the look, I'll be in the office on Friday and plan to check them out for myself at the Breitling boutique. I'm never a huge fan of re-issuing a chronograph as a 3-hander but it's worth a try-on

stevec14 likes this.
  12. stevec14

stevec14 Jul 5, 2022

Yes, agreed - Certainly much cheaper in the long run given the cost of manufacturer servicing.

I’m hoping to check these out next week when I’m in town. By all accounts the L2L is pretty short so I expect they’ll wear smaller than their specs.

13. abrod520

abrod520 Jul 5, 2022

Interestingly I had the same reaction to the BB Chrono. I finally found them in store in the Tudor Boutique in the Meatpacking district a couple weeks ago, and while they do wear as well as expected (especially on the fabric strap) I just didn't quite like the Daytona homage vibe. I mean, why is there a fixed tachymetre bezel on (what is ostensibly) a dive watch? And I'm really not a fan of screw-down pushers in any situation, homage or not.
    I expected to really want it the way I just had to buy the first BB GMT I tried on, but I've actually found that the BB GMT is an exception for Tudor rather than the beginning of a trend.

RushDom likes this.
  14. dtf

dtf Jul 8, 2022

Just when I wasnt going to buy any more watches for a while...
    CA503488-B559-4AD9-9EED-65A9B6F5B845.jpeg

Going to call my AD in the morning and see how long the wait will be

Jim Dollares, McBeardy and Mspeedster like this.
  15. abrod520

abrod520 Jul 8, 2022

Yeah I think a straight reissue of the Ranger is maybe not the most interesting thing they could have done, but it has the right style and proportions - and most importantly, at US $3k on the bracelet it's undeniably a great option.

16. thingziliketoo

thingziliketoo Jul 8, 2022

I feel the internet blowing up on this release. It’s perfect to fill the void of the 39mm Explorer that was discontinued. I feel many will be sold but next year this time many will be on the secondary market. I like it for all it offers, but I am not sure there’s enough to make a spot in my collection. Hopefully they release the adjustable clasp on all their sports model offerings soon.

17. stevec14

stevec14 Jul 8, 2022

I wouldnt think very long - they may even have them in. Mine had both bracelet and strap today…..

the reaction has been mixed, so I don’t expect these to be hard to get. I think it’s pretty nice

82607F6F-8E67-406F-A96D-A6014048043B.jpeg 3E528708-0579-4FC1-9CFB-4835AD99469E.jpeg

18. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 8, 2022

I'm not too excited about the new Tudor Ranger. The BB Pro & Pelagos FXD are still of greater interest to me. But I passed on both in order to fund my Omega NTTD.

For the money, my head kept saying the FXD is the better buy over Omega NTTD, but the heart wants what the heart wants...

NTTDvsFXD.jpg

19. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 8, 2022

It's nice on either bracelet or strap, but kind of boring to me. I find it most interesting on the fabric strap.
    20220708_TudorRanger_0310.jpg

dtf likes this.
  20. imagwai

imagwai Jul 8, 2022

Ranger isn't doing much for me I'm afraid. But then I do have a 36mm Explorer already.

dtf likes this.