Forums Latest Members

What is your next purchase? / Wishlist?

1. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 17, 2022

Actually the Rolex Sub was the most expensive, even though the Tudor Sub was in much better condition.

2. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Jan 17, 2022

Ic, thanks for the info.

I thought since it was not the red sub it would not be too expensive. I guess Rolex is still the king of after market after all.

Cheers ! :thumbsup:

3. thingziliketoo

thingziliketoo Jan 17, 2022

Looking forward to the big reveal - that’s a good looking trio!

4. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jan 18, 2022

Wow Michael has finally bought himself a nos 1133b? :cool:

5. Yago

Yago Jan 18, 2022

That Rolex 5513 sub will be at least 15k.
    The Tudor sub is really nice. What did they ask for that one?

6. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 18, 2022

No, no, this was a relatively small purchase, my gateway into the world of vintage. No where close to being in the same league as a Monaco 1133B or a vintage Sub.

7. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 18, 2022

Unfortunately the Tudor was already spoken for, the asking price was over 9k.

8. Yago

Yago Jan 18, 2022

How did the 5513 compare to your 14060?

9. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jan 18, 2022

They wear similar, but the 5513 feels a little smaller somehow, although they're both 40mm. I liked the overall vintage patina and charm of the 5513's looks, but it felt more delicate and less robust. Since I've bought all of my watches new, it's a bit of a mind adjustment looking at all the nicks and scratches on these vintage pieces.

I mainly wanted to try on the Autavia Viceroy as a test to see how I like the 1163 case. I think the Rindt 2446 style is more for me, but those are so expensive.

10. Jim Dollares

This is what holds me back from vintage too. I have never liked used stuff at all, not only with watches. Never found it charming when something is beaten up by previous owners. Vintage looking re-editions are the perfect thing

thingziliketoo and Mspeedster like this.
  11. Yago

Yago Jan 18, 2022

Yeah you want your vintsge pieces as good as you can find them but I do love genuine patina. Discolored lume, faded dials and bezels, nicks and scratches. All adds to the charm.
    Half my furniture is from the ‘60s and ‘70s so I would like old watches.

Mspeedster likes this.
  12. imagwai

imagwai Jan 18, 2022

I tend to agree, but a good condition/NOS vintage piece with creamy lume can't be beaten.

13. Jim Dollares

Fo sure, my bling 1000 has barely been worn by original and only previous owner. I didn't find that one icky at all. Not sure if being from the late 80's it is even considered vintage though. But it is my only purchase of a used piece and I felt I could buy it because it was in such good condition.

14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 18, 2022

Does that mean the Zenith ::puke:: is off the table?

15. Yago

Yago Jan 18, 2022

I suppose I like how watch design or design and architecture in general capture zeitgeist. These were designed and made at a certain time and are basically time capsules. You can buy 1/1 re-editions (from other brands than TAG Heuer) but these will always be retro watches. Yes they have merit because they are beautiful in their own right and expose a lot of people to a design they maybe didn't know about.
    I own a few furniture design classics from the '60s and up. A lot of these are still in production today and that is great. But they don't feel as real to me as the original from its age, with the wear of a life well lived. As with watches you can have the real deal, the actual piece from its age, and often even cheaper than the retro piece. It's a no brainer. These watches will last forever.
    A few stories:
    When I was in kindergarten a Japanese dude bought himself a nice Rolex sub, or maybe was gifted one. He wore the watch a lot but treated it well and he even held on to the box and papers for me and for the people after me.
    When I was in my first year of primary school a woman in Washington state bought herself an at the time crazy lemon yellow Porsche 911. She also kept all the paperwork and service receipts throughout her time with the car for me and others after me to enjoy.
    When my Carrera 3647n was first bought in 1968, Jack Heuer was in his prime, Graham Hill became WC. There was also a revolution in Europe, MLK was assassinated and the Vietnam war was still going on. Also my dad was 20 and my mom 17 years old. They didn't have a lot of money and still had to give most of their paychecks to their parents. Buying a watch would have been unthinkable.
    How does a new watch beat that?

16. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 18, 2022

Okay, so are you saying you like the Zenith (or old things) not because it's aesthetically pleasing, but because it is an artefact of its time? If so, I can agree on that. I mean I can't really argue the Tristar is aesthetically pleasing, can I? But I like it cos it is what it is. But on the other hand I wouldn't pay $7k for it.

17. Jim Dollares

The Tristar is also cool because it was worn by a Soviet general, as he sent tens of thousands of people to work in the gulags

thingziliketoo and Aquagraph like this.
  18. Yago

Yago Jan 18, 2022

Yes that is very cool

19. Yago

Yago Jan 18, 2022

No I’m not saying that at all :D
    I like the zenith because it is aesthetically pleasing and allows lots of people to learn about the model and thus history of Zenith. I mignt prefer a vintage model over this one but I haven’t seen one in the metal yet.

dtf likes this.
  20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jan 18, 2022

Oh, okay then.