Forums Latest Members

What is your next purchase? / Wishlist?

1. TonyStark

TonyStark Oct 23, 2021

6E698916-FA7D-47B6-9BE6-38E4FD9AA5AA.png
    so the two Tudor models I really like are the Pelagos LHD and the bb gmt. I’ve been thinking about the lhd for years now.

I’ve had a bit of a hankering for the blacked out bremont us2/51 for a while. And I guess the ceramic Tudor bb fits in a similar space.

I also like this single hand, 24 hr montblanc watch which I just think is awesome.
    BFCE60D3-293E-450D-A234-864189A410D5.png

Edited Oct 23, 2021
    thingziliketoo and Jim Dollares like this.
  2. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Oct 23, 2021

It's not so bad if the AD carries other brands besides Rolex, but the Rolex Boutiques were always void of customers with their shelves being empty. Hence Rolex supplying ADs with these "Exhibition Only" watches gets foot traffic back into the stores and lets customers actually see & touch the watches. But it's still ridiculous if you seriously want to buy one.

3. YY77

YY77 Oct 23, 2021

thingziliketoo, dtf and Mspeedster like this.
  4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 24, 2021

It's just people bang on about Tudor is brilliant, but what they really mean is the Black Bay.
    So what I don't understand is that rolex took a ton of watches out of the supply chain to make display models thereby lessening the chances of anyone zctually getting one, just so people can see things in store that they can only buy on the grey market for three times the price. Would make sense if they were boot stock, but it looks like they have wrap on them so probably not.

Anthony.R and Jim Dollares like this.
  5. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 24, 2021

What's the point of getting people into stores just so they can tell them no.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  6. YY77

YY77 Oct 24, 2021

The bezel design is the main detraction for me when it comes to the black bay and subs. I do think the BB is great price/quality.

Edit ; Snowflake hand with round hour markers not my cup of tea.

Edited Oct 24, 2021
  7. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Oct 24, 2021

I was thinking the exact same thing, so freaking strange. Would make more sense to close the ad biutiques and just have the ad's functioning as the middle men forwarding stock to the grey market. Or why cant Rolex sell directly to grey market? Or even better, they should just up their official list prices 200-300%?

8. TonyStark

TonyStark Oct 24, 2021

not so much in my case actually. The BB (standard versions) are just a little close to my tag 1000/844 to be something I’d really go for. I do think it is a pretty watch though, the navy blue one in particular.

I’d also guess that many of us on here are bang in the middle of the Tudor BB target market…. vintage-type designs and aesthetics.

I think the pelagos LHD is a fantastic watch particularly as a leftie myself. The bb GMT is incredible value for money. I’m quite drawn to the new ceramic bb. And actually their broader range with their explorer-style watches look great too.

it’s the value for money across Tudor range that impresses me the most I think. Although I don’t own one yet I think it’s a matter of time frankly. Whereas I can’t imagine myself buying a new tag any time soon sadly

DATee likes this.
  9. YY77

YY77 Oct 24, 2021

If this happens 99% won't be buying a Rolex anymore when they are easily obtainable and to expensive without the prospect of being able to sell at premium.

paysdoufs likes this.
  10. Jim Dollares

Wow so 99% of Rolex buyers just buy to sell at a premium? I didn't think it was that bad

11. YY77

YY77 Oct 24, 2021

I meant 99% when with your example Rolex would increase MSRP with 2-300%, also who in their right mind would pay 16k for a SS submariner?

12. Jim Dollares

Isn't that what people are doing today already? :D Rolex has proof that many seem to be willing to pay a ton more for their product so I just figured they could up their prices quite a lot

13. YY77

YY77 Oct 24, 2021

There are many more on waitlists at AD's hoping for the chance to buy one at retail, but if MSRP is 2-3+ times I would guess it's too rich for their blood.

Jim Dollares likes this.
  14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 24, 2021

I watched a video the other day with four YouTube watch gurus talking to each other and one of the questions was 'would you still own Rolex if it wasn't for the whole value multiplier thing' and they said they 'might' own one - max. The impression I get is that 70% of the appeal is the 'investment' potential... and let's be honest all anyone ever talks about with Rolex is how much is it worth, which one's are going to be discontinued and go up in value. When people buy watches that are unpopular and they don't even like because they are unpopular and they think they are going to go up in value.... this is not watch collecting or enthusiasm. Like the Milgauss, no one seems to buy it cos they like it, they all seem to buy it cos they think no one else likes it and it's going to get canned and rocket in value.

paysdoufs and Jim Dollares like this.
  15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 24, 2021

My friend has the LHD and I agree I think it is damned cool. I don't even mind the fauxtina too much as it's reasonably subtle and the RHD is too bright white. I would pick the Pelagos over the Black Bay every time.

TonyStark likes this.
  16. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Oct 24, 2021

To hook you onto the wait list. Seriously, the sales person kept asking me to put my name down for the models I wanted, not all are that hard to get if you're willing to wait. But if you want the super popular SS sports models, all bets are off.

I kind of felt sorry for the sales people working at the Rolex exclusive Boutiques, who I assume work off of commission. They're likely at the mercy of Rolex's supply chain, rather than the number of customers they have.

17. dtf

dtf Oct 24, 2021

Clearly I need to spend more time on rolex forums! I was really annoyed when the 39mm Explorer was canned because I had planned to buy one for my 40th, but I'm not paying over retail for a second hand one. If I'd known they were going to discontinue it, I'd have bought one already!

18. TonyStark

TonyStark Oct 24, 2021

People on watch forums are weird aren’t they haha

I bought my Milgauss cos I liked it.

I also like the white face/orange markers Milgauss

They aren’t really in line with normal Rolex sensibilities though… although perhaps that is changing with the multicoloured OP they have released lately.

Can’t imagining buying a watch I didn’t like!

19. Yago

Yago Oct 30, 2021

I guess Rolex can’t help it that their watches are so popular. Yes they advertise a lot but not more than say 10 years ago. The current craze is beyond their control for the most part. Basically the free market taking over. You can’t blame them for not making more in order to meet demand. They’re exclusive, a non-profit outfit and playing the long game. Their AD policy is shambles however and allowing flippers to take over. Since their decision making is so centralized I hope they’ll be able to deal with that issue, the same way Porsche wants to stop LEs ending up in warehouses of collectors who don’t drive them.
    In terms of the Rolex appeal, I don’t believe that has changed among enthusiasts. I’d love a SS sub but I don’t want to pay over retail. Once a model is discontinued it’s a different game. I have no problem with a 15k price for a kermit. It’s no different than a tin tin, snoopy or dinky skipperera.
    Watch collectors and enthusiasts are a diverse bunch. If you’re in the know and able to make lots of profit by flipping watches then why the hell not? Supply and demand will work it out. Some might make small profits on their way trading up to a grail. I’ve never bought a watch I didn’t like but if a personal grail is locked behind a door and the key is flipping a watch I don’t like, I won’t hesitate.

paysdoufs likes this.
  20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Oct 30, 2021

What I don't get about it is that.... like, say it's coming up to Christmas now and my friend has kids, he's trying to get these Pokemon things, I don't even know what they are, but they are sold out. But the reason they are sold out is cos people have bought them to resell them on Ebay. But there I can see the point of that, my friend wants them for his kids. But with Rolex it seems like 'everyone' (obviously not everyone but a large percentage) are buying them only because they believe they are going to go up, rather than because they want to be an 'end user'.

Which is why pretty much everything I see on YouTube and the like about Rolex is people talking about values and what's going to be discontinued and you know the whole 'Which Rolex should you buy now before it goes up!!!!' nonsense. It seems like so many people are caught up in this stupid game thinking that it's never going to stop, and I think Bark and Jack is wrong, it can't keep going up like this. Then (some) people are going to end up stuck with watches they don't really want that haven't gone up or have started to droop in value, and then inevitably people start to sell anticipating the drop, they flood the market and that's the end of that.

I mean, no one knows when this will happen, but it seems like non-watch enthusiasts are fuelling this 'craze' thinking it's a money tree and they are likely the people that are going to cash out eventually.

I quite like the Milgauss, of course given my propensity to choose the 'wrong' watches (hahaha), I remember there was one in the AD in the town where I work a few years ago. It's so un-Rolex though... but in a good way.