Watches and Wonders 2023

Two register or still hideous running seconds?
It has the look of a 2 register, the running seconds is still there but not that noticeable. Similar to the treatment given the 42mm Elegant Pandas, like the JH88 and non-JH90, or the Porsche RS 2.7. Instead of crosshair markings, there are very fine lines forming the seconds scale. Viewed as a whole, the seconds hand doesn't detract that much. What's more distracting for me is still the overall rounded look of the watch with its curved outer bezel.

I don’t understand why TH have this obsession with running seconds, it works ok on the elegant but has significantly detracted on some of the heritage models. Is this a feature if the Heuer 02 that cannot be removed?

Im withholding judgement on the curved bezel, until I’ve seen one

I don’t understand why TH have this obsession with running seconds, it works ok on the elegant but has significantly detracted on some of the heritage models. Is this a feature if the Heuer 02 that cannot be removed?

Im withholding judgement on the curved bezel, until I’ve seen one
Yeah I hear you on both accounts. I really want to see the new 39mm in person to better judge how I feel. They have removed the running seconds on models like the Hodinkee Dato and the heritage Autavia Viceroy, so it's certainly doable.

Surely it’s just a case of not fitting the running seconds hand and just leave it running under the dial?

Wow. Do we need to get a pre-order in with the Boutique?

Probably not a bad idea to. While it is not a numbered limited edition, it will be in limited production.

On this week’s Worn and Wound podcast, the new Carrera’s get a lot of praise as well as the gold Aquaracers. The Gray Nato podcast had the same praise. Very refreshing.

Yeah, those look really cool in video, not so great in renders and maybe photos

Or in person :confused:

I saw this particular model in person a few days ago and I thought it looked tremendous! Love the pops of colour and the central seconds hand which is chunkier like those on vintage Heuer models. The removal of the “Heuer 02 80 Hours” text from the dial is also welcome.

Now that we have the 39mm glassbox, I’d love it if the 42mm Carreras referenced 70s models more…there’s such a wealth of beautiful references from that period. Clearly Nicolas also agrees based on the Hodinkee video recently!

The model shown above isn’t far off the below, for instance…

606ABDEB-0C45-4C1E-A367-16C10E494531.jpeg

I saw this particular model in person a few days ago and I thought it looked tremendous! Love the pops of colour and the central seconds hand which is chunkier like those on vintage Heuer models. The removal of the “Heuer 02 80 Hours” text from the dial is also welcome.

Now that we have the 39mm glassbox, I’d love it if the 42mm Carreras referenced 70s models more…there’s such a wealth of beautiful references from that period. Clearly Nicolas also agrees based on the Hodinkee video recently!

The model shown above isn’t far off the below, for instance…

606ABDEB-0C45-4C1E-A367-16C10E494531.jpeg

I will say I did like the orange dashes on the outside of the seconds track. But I own an 1153BN, and overall it really isn't close at all

Literally all of those watches look better in that video than the renders…except one. (Which technically didn’t make an appearance in real life.)

Jim won’t be happy with that comment!