Watches and Wonders 2023

I'm so used to the thickness of my 43 mm Carrera Day Dates, that my 41 mm Carreras (JH80, Indy 500, etc.) look completely normal to me. :D

this might be it, I think I was wearing a 44mm aqua racer chrono when I looked at the JH80…

Thanks, Hubert. Saw the new 39mm in person last night and this side by side makes me wish the chapter ring was closer in smaller width to the previous. The new combination of dial, markers, chapter ring, and scale is rather busy on the new watch.

I should add that I really like what they did. But I agree with the 8/10 rating.
:thumbsup: I agree @Ara. They are an interesting new interpretation, but I think they will have their time and eventually will fade away. Time will tell!

I would qualify my view as to say I feel it's the most successful TAG Heuer "new model" design in recent years. The heritage glassbox Carreras are really remakes of an old Heuer design, so it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges from a "new design" perspective.

One thing that @Ara mentioned in an Instagram post is that these new 39s have a 70s 1153 vibe to them. I agree with this. Even though it doesn't have the C case, it has more 70s retro feel to it than the 60s of the heritage glassbox. I think it might be the short lugs, which sort of gives it more of the 70s C case feel and also the deep rehaut.
Yes, the lugs are indeed a bit shorter. In one of the videos I posted, one of the TH spoke-persons was even touting that as an improvement. Maybe in ergonomics, nevertheless my personal preference still remains on having longer lugs, to help balance the increase in case size, as this makes the watches look less bloated.

Better than the WoS Carrera Elegant? Better than the JH80?

I had a look at the elegant today…it is indeed elegant. I’m looking forward to trying one on to compare with the new 39mm. Just based on the curved bezel on the new 39, I’m saying the elegant and jh80 series are better, but it’s a little unfair to judge until it’s on the wrist.
I have yet to put the new 39mm with the 42mm Elegant side-by-side, but I think I will gravitate more towards the Elegant.

:thumbsup: I agree @Ara. They are an interesting new interpretation, but I think they will have their time and eventually will fade away. Time will tell!
You might be right. I'm mean the heritage glassbox, starting with the Telemeter, lasted about 8 years. I have a feeling the new 39 won't last as long.

Overall, there's a lot to like. But the more I stare at the Tachy bezel under glass, the more this detail bugs me.
1581698-1399605eb56221a65b264db148552d46.png
I'm not a fan of the curvy bezel to begin with, having it under glass makes it worse IMHO. I get that they wanted to do a re-imagining of the "glassbox", but from a pure aesthetics view point, it would've looked better with an external bezel and flatter crystal over the dial. But I guess that would be too similar to the Autavia. :rolleyes:

I would qualify my view as to say I feel it's the most successful TAG Heuer "new model" design in recent years. The heritage glassbox Carreras are really remakes of an old Heuer design, so it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges from a "new design" perspective.

One thing that @Ara mentioned in an Instagram post is that these new 39s have a 70s 1153 vibe to them. I agree with this. Even though it doesn't have the C case, it has more 70s retro feel to it than the 60s of the heritage glassbox. I think it might be the short lugs, which sort of gives it more of the 70s C case feel and also the deep rehaut.
Yeah, the deep rehaut design detail stood out a couple days back at launch and it took me a bit to place the reference.

It seems like an un-intended curvy / optical illusion below in crystal below re: the tachy, but this is the vibe I get.

TAG Heuer’s Watches & Wonders Booth in Geneva :thumbsup:
It would be nice if all of us are hanging out there discussing all of this ;) Pretty Cool Stuff :cool:
B7AF5C18-742C-44DC-A621-8570ADF318E2.jpeg E8EBE095-DB6D-4698-81FE-8742F5B45ED5.jpeg 37FC9950-70E7-4544-BCE6-F1CAB5EBF4CC.jpeg 9BA9E857-599F-442B-AFCD-8D0F3217CC4F.jpeg

TAG Heuer’s Watches & Wonders Booth in Geneva :thumbsup:
It would be nice if all of us are hanging out there discussing all of this ;) Pretty Cool Stuff :cool:
B7AF5C18-742C-44DC-A621-8570ADF318E2.jpeg E8EBE095-DB6D-4698-81FE-8742F5B45ED5.jpeg 37FC9950-70E7-4544-BCE6-F1CAB5EBF4CC.jpeg 9BA9E857-599F-442B-AFCD-8D0F3217CC4F.jpeg
Yes, it would be amazing to have a forum meet in one of these fairs. I also wonder if we could commission a special edition watch, like David did with his Siffert.

You might be right. I'm mean the heritage glassbox, starting with the Telemeter, lasted about 8 years. I have a feeling the new 39 won't last as long.

Overall, there's a lot to like. But the more I stare at the Tachy bezel under glass, the more this detail bugs me.
1581698-1399605eb56221a65b264db148552d46.png
I'm not a fan of the curvy bezel to begin with, having it under glass makes it worse IMHO. I get that they wanted to do a re-imagining of the "glassbox", but from a pure aesthetics view point, it would've looked better with an external bezel and flatter crystal over the dial. But I guess that would be too similar to the Autavia. :rolleyes:
Yes, maybe if they had made it less of a bezel, it could have been better. Maybe by if the chapter ring went higher and was more concave, the legibility goals would've still been met. ::confused2::

It would be nice if all of us are hanging out there discussing all of this
Yes, it would be amazing to have a forum meet in one of these fairs.

That would be very cool! Only problem is I don't think I would be paying enough attention to the watches with that 930 there ::love::

Yes, it would be amazing to have a forum meet in one of these fairs. I also wonder if we could commission a special edition watch, like David did with his Siffert.

A special edition watch is an excellent idea!

Take my money now.

Great idea....how do we decide what model?
That would be a great debating point.

I'd love to see a Calibre 11 Monaco for the THF, but I'm sure I'm in the minority. :coffee:

Great idea....how do we decide what model?
That would be a great debating point.
I think we'd need to get a contact with TH and inquire about the idea and what models they would be willing to do for us. When David did his LE, he had to have a minimum order; back I believe he was exploring 50, but ended up with 100. Not sure if the requirements now have increased.

I think we'd need to get a contact with TH and inquire about the idea and what models they would be willing to do for us. When David did his LE, he had to have a minimum order; back I believe he was exploring 50, but ended up with 100. Not sure if the requirements now have increased.
Last I heard it moved up to 200. But doubt it’s an option now.

Not trying to rain on this parade, but just a dose of reality. IIRC, David also had to purchase all of them up front. Which will be extremely expensive if the minimum numbers have increased. Even at a minimum order of 50, I doubt many on the forum would be willing to front the money.

Not trying to rain on this parade, but just a dose of reality. IIRC, David also had to purchase all of them up front. Which will be extremely expensive if the minimum numbers have increased. Even at a minimum order of 50, I doubt many on the forum would be willing to front the money.
Yes, this is not an easy proposition. I know David debated heavily on the number, but decided to take a chance and go with 100. I bet he was relieved when they all sold within a day.