Watches and Wonders 2023

I agree with both: I don't like those prominent outer rings on the subdials, and I would also prefer them in white rather than silver. That is to say, I would have liked it better with subdials like the Autavia CBE2110, my favorite -TAG Heuer- reverse panda so far.

B4B15430-F226-4226-A07D-1F6DF9070574.jpeg

As for the tachymeter attached inside the glass (similar to the Connected E4 42mm), it works well in terms of readability, but it does not convince me aesthetically: it makes the dial “closed” compared to the classic glassbox. Of course I like the 60th anniversary panda much more than this new reverse panda

Sometimes I feel that the Rindt Heuer Autavia gets little love and a bit underrated. But remember, this is an award winning (GHPG) design, bested alot of heritage Autavias thru the Autavia Cup. So I think this design will age really well and as a classic! Atleast for those who know ;) (who know)

Long time lurker, first post, but was wondering if the water resistance on the new 36mm carrera is 50meter or the rendering I saw was incorrect

Long time lurker, first post, but was wondering if the water resistance on the new 36mm carrera is 50meter or the rendering I saw was incorrect

It is 50m

upload_2023-3-29_10-1-40.png

Do you feel this resolves the issues with the previous glassbox?
The edge visibility is improved, no doubt. But id does it at the cost of having a watch with a bezel under the crystal. The original Carrera design was unique, because Jack figured he could use the tension ring to add the indicators. If I had a worker that came to me with this solution, I would send him/her back to the drawing board.

Agree. It's trying to solve a problem (in a rather noticeable way) that shouldn't really exist in the first place.
:thumbsup:

I feel like the very prominent & sloped “rehaut” to the subdials does the overall watch design a disservice. It somehow adds “clutter” to a rather small dial that already has a lot going on… (IMHO, obviously)
Yes, one of the ethos of the Carrara should be 'less is more'.

I agree with both: I don't like those prominent outer rings on the subdials, and I would also prefer them in white rather than silver. That is to say, I would have liked it better with subdials like the Autavia CBE2110, my favorite -TAG Heuer- reverse panda so far.
B4B15430-F226-4226-A07D-1F6DF9070574.jpeg
As for the tachymeter attached inside the glass (similar to the Connected E4 42mm), it works well in terms of readability, but it does not convince me aesthetically: it makes the dial “closed” compared to the classic glassbox. Of course I like the 60th anniversary panda much more than this new reverse panda
Yes the subdials are raised in all the TH branded Carreras. I also prefer the cleaner style of the Heuer models, especially when recessed.

Their overall design with this new evolution 'solves' the visibility problem they previously created by their overly prominent glassbox, by force. I still think that if they had reworked with the angles of the glassbox crystal and decreased it's height, the end result would probably have been better. Now we're left with these design for years to come, and probably no more faithful Heuer branded models, unless they reverse course an issue some with the previous case. :unsure:

The 60th Anniversary Panda easily takes away the spotlight from the Reverse Panda when they’re put side by side ;)
Yes; no contest. The vintage model is better, no question.

Wow. I did not know that.
It seems a step backwards but at least they change the movement...wish they did the same for the men cal 5, because the 38 hour power reserve, eta/salita movements is not offering the value for money when longines, tissot even Hamilton is offering more for less now

The edge visibility is improved, no doubt. But id does it at the cost of having a watch with a bezel under the crystal. The original Carrera design was unique, because Jack figured he could use the tension ring to add the indicators. If I had a worker that came to me with this solution, I would send him/her back to the drawing board.

:thumbsup:

Yes, one of the ethos of the Carrara should be 'less is more'.

Yes the subdials are raised in all the TH branded Carreras. I also prefer the cleaner style of the Heuer models, especially when recessed.

Their overall design with this new evolution 'solves' the visibility problem they previously created by their overly prominent glassbox, by force. I still think that if they had reworked with the angles of the glassbox crystal and decreased it's height, the end result would probably have been better. Now we're left with these design for years to come, and probably no more faithful Heuer branded models, unless they reverse course an issue some with the previous case. :unsure:

Even so, I think this is the most successful TAG Carrera design. That it's in a proper 39mm case size is just even better.
Also, on the original Carreras with calculation tracks, those tracks were on the dial and not the rehaut. So this one swaps that a bit which I think is cool, and in the hand I quite like the effect.

In the end, it's not perfect, but it's a huge step forward for TAG Carrera designs and makes me hopeful for the future of the model.

An easy solution for the heritage model would've been to use a plexi crystal. Omega does it with their Moonwatch, Breitling does it on their re-editions too. Or they could've just used a more shallowly domed crystal, like the ones on the Tudor BB58 and Omega heritage Seamaster.

As you said before, this new glassbox inner bezel design kind of defeats the purpose of having a boxed crystal. While removes the distortion effect, I believe it also removes the depth & character of a traditional boxed crystal. Because the tachymeter bezel blocks that view.

It's almost like putting the Autavia's look completely under glass.
TAG_Heuer_Autavia_FI-1024x1024.jpg

The Autavia, 42mm Connected and new 39mm Carrera all share a similar rounded arched bezel look now. So at least they're being consistent with their design language.
New Carrera and Connected.jpg

Even so, I think this is the most successful TAG Carrera design. That it's in a proper 39mm case size is just even better.
Also, on the original Carreras with calculation tracks, those tracks were on the dial and not the rehaut. So this one swaps that a bit which I think is cool, and in the hand I quite like the effect.

In the end, it's not perfect, but it's a huge step forward for TAG Carrera designs and makes me hopeful for the future of the model.
I agree with this too.

The tachymetre scale in the new 39mm TH glassbox Carrera basically replaces the chapter ring in the Heuer glassbox ones right? And noticed also that the lugs also became a bit “fatter” :D:p Need to see this one on the flesh :thumbsup: But I’m not really sure if this will let me bite the bullet ;)
Ok, here are a few quick side-by-side cell-phone shots. Overall 8/10. Wish the subdials were white.
upload_2023-3-29_0-14-53.png
upload_2023-3-29_0-16-45.png
upload_2023-3-29_0-19-56.png

I still can't see a benefit of having a glassbox crystal, if underneath they put a bezel. I still think a better solution is needed.
Thanks, Hubert. Saw the new 39mm in person last night and this side by side makes me wish the chapter ring was closer in smaller width to the previous. The new combination of dial, markers, chapter ring, and scale is rather busy on the new watch.

I should add that I really like what they did. But I agree with the 8/10 rating.
Edited:

Interesting, so you would take this, over a heritage glassbox model? I wouldn't.
I prefer past TAG Heuer Carrera designs more than this one. (original 39mm glassbox and 41mm bezel-less Carreras)

I agree. My choice would be one of the following, not in any particular order:

CBN2A1A
CBN2011
CBN2013
CBN2A10
CBN2A5A

Was very surprised by even the 44’s fitting my 16.5cm wrist nicely.

Interesting, so you would take this, over a heritage glassbox model? I wouldn't.
I prefer past TAG Heuer Carrera designs more than this one. (original 39mm glassbox and 41mm bezel-less Carreras)
I would qualify my view as to say I feel it's the most successful TAG Heuer "new model" design in recent years. The heritage glassbox Carreras are really remakes of an old Heuer design, so it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges from a "new design" perspective.

One thing that @Ara mentioned in an Instagram post is that these new 39s have a 70s 1153 vibe to them. I agree with this. Even though it doesn't have the C case, it has more 70s retro feel to it than the 60s of the heritage glassbox. I think it might be the short lugs, which sort of gives it more of the 70s C case feel and also the deep rehaut.
Edited:

Better than the WoS Carrera Elegant? Better than the JH80?

I had a look at the elegant today…it is indeed elegant. I’m looking forward to trying one on to compare with the new 39mm. Just based on the curved bezel on the new 39, I’m saying the elegant and jh80 series are better, but it’s a little unfair to judge until it’s on the wrist.

I don't consider this a similar watch to the heritage. This is a new Carrera whereas those are reissues of older ones.

Better than the WoS Carrera Elegant?

Yes. That one's OK but it's a very limited run and too large for my preference for a Carrera.

Better than the JH80?

Very yes. The JH80 looks nice head-on, but have you ever held one in the metal? It's grotesquely tall and really isn't very nice on the wrist.

I had a look at the elegant today…it is indeed elegant. I’m looking forward to trying one on to compare with the new 39mm.

I've never thought the Elegant worked well at all. Interestingly though, the new 42mm tourbillon models are an upsized Glassbox rather than using the Elegant case - so maybe there's some funky stuff coming down the line there (pure speculation on my part, not a hint)

I still like the heritage glassbox Heuer branded Carreras best.

My preferences for TAG Heuer branded Carreras (currently released and in terms of what I'd buy):
1. 42mm WoS
2. 42mm White & Blue Porsche RS 2.7
3. 39mm Reverse Panda
4. 44mm Carrera Sport 160th Panda

Gold JH88 and non-JH90 look great, but can't justify the price. Blue 39 looks good, but something else in blue related to sailing should be better.

Very yes. The JH80 looks nice head-on, but have you ever held one in the metal? It's grotesquely tall and really isn't very nice on the wrist.

I'm so used to the thickness of my 43 mm Carrera Day Dates, that my 41 mm Carreras (JH80, Indy 500, etc.) look completely normal to me. :D

I *think* I tried one on, not 100% sure. I have definitely seen one in the case and loved it…maybe I didn’t actually wear it?

I've never thought the Elegant worked well at all.

I haven’t been sold on the elegant based on the photos, although I was VERY tempted with the blue Porsche, but even the boring standard models looked pretty good in the case today, I look forward to trying one on to compare to the new 39.