Forums Latest Members
  1. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Nov 12, 2019

Interresting interview, thanks for sharing @Hubert was a bit surprised that your passion started so recently I thought you basically had been around since Heuer was founded ;)

@Aquagraph will be fun to read your interview, great initiative from Otto :)

2. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Nov 12, 2019

Hubert and Aquagraph like this.
  3. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 12, 2019

Otto has some excellent questions!

4. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 12, 2019

By the way Hubert, my contact at TAG Heuer read this...

I think Hodinkee have built a true business, however I have not become one of their paying customers yet. As for TAG Heuer, I have elaborated about this on the forum in the past. Yes, I think TAG Heuer should strongly consider a Collectors Registry or something to that effect. Based on the purchase history, the Collector would gain points and raise one’s status to acquire coveted pieces and limited releases. This could also be linked to discounts and special gifts. And they should also consider bringing the community’s voices to help define future products.

...and he's going to bring it up with the management team. So, maybe something like this will actually happen?

5. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Nov 12, 2019

To be honest, this is one of things I most hate about Rolex. While they don't have an official program per se, they've certainly instructed all of their ADs to give preference to those who've spent the most money on Rolex watches. Making some models near impossible to get via an AD for your average customer.

I'd hate it if TH went this same direction. While there are good repeat customers like Hubert, there are all those flippers who buy watches as a business, intending to make a profit on the LEs. It's bad enough having to compete with the flippers when it's a level playing field, but it would be so unfair for TH to give them an advantage. ::censored::

6. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 12, 2019

I get what you're saying, but I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they monitor the people on the list and check to see if they flip the watches. My concern would be that the flippers would get themselves on the lists and corner the market even more...

7. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Nov 12, 2019

Thanks! Let's see what happens. They really should consider that this program is intended for bonafide collectors.

Albert-AMG likes this.
  8. Yago

Yago Nov 12, 2019

Super nice interview Hubert. You're a true & honest friend of the brand.
    Love the ongoing Telemeter love/hate relationship :)
    I might buy that off you someday ;)

9. Hubert

:¬) Thanks Yago! I'll keep you in mind if I ever decide to sell it.

Yago likes this.
  10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 12, 2019

11. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Nov 12, 2019

Great read of the interview, @Hubert :thumbsup:

Hubert likes this.
  12. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Nov 12, 2019

Honestly, Telemeter and calibre6 are the only two of my collection that have had more than one strangers actually ever said hi to me and asked whether or not i will sell that watch. I NEVER put an advertisement to sell, by the way.

Makes me don't want to sell even more, of course....

Hubert likes this.
  13. Hubert

I would imaging selling the Telemeter or the Fragment, if someday TAG Heuer releases larger equivalents (~41mm). Otherwise, they'll remain in the collection.

kappa_md and OttoWilliam like this.
  14. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Nov 12, 2019

Therein lies the problem. This was already discussed in another thread, so I don't want to beat on a dead horse, but I don't believe there's a way for TH to know who might be a flipper vs a true collector.

I like the idea for special gifts or discounts, however I'm against the idea when it comes to priority for purchasing LEs for this very reason.

15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 13, 2019

If you think about it, people who buy lots of TAG Heuers are already going to have a good relationship with their AD, so as long as the watches are available in your country then they shouldn't have that much bother anyway... I can't think how TAG could keep track of buyers watches, the only way would be if people who buy from them register their watches on the website, but how many people do that?

On the other hand, do TAG Heuer actually care if the watches are flipped? They've sold their watch and the watches immediately 'go up in value'... while it annoys us, does any manufacturer really care - beyond the fact that someone else is making money that they could be making?

16. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Nov 13, 2019

I started staring into windows in the 60s as a big kid, and buying in the 70s, then in 00s wages allowed the bigger spends.

It’s turning the other way again, retirement means more time for someone else to have spending plans.

17. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Nov 13, 2019

My AD knows I’m not buying to sell as they see me wearing the watches when I pop in to say hi! I go by and talk BTCC with one of the guys although other dealers might not care as long as the watches go out and the cash rolls in?

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 13, 2019

To be honest, TAG Heuer is too big to care about that sort of thing... which is not a criticism of TAG, just that they are a mass market maker and not Patek Philippe. It's wrong to expect a mulitnational company to act like PP. Besides, as far as I can tell all of those 50th Anniversary watches were available on the day of launch on the website, so anyone who really wanted one could have got one if they'd put in some effort.

19. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Nov 13, 2019

Now I get it; thanks!

20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Nov 19, 2019