The Shape of Things to Come

Well, when you consider the idea of a selfwinding watch, not designing them with hand-winding in mind shouldn't be all that surprising.

In fact, many earlier automatic movements (and even budget ones from Seiko and the like into the 1970s) don't even have a hand-winding capability...

Watch collecting as we know it now is a recent phenomenon. But I do think that once a brand expects more than $3,000 for their watches they should be finding a better solution

I think that’s the key here. If you’re not meant to wind it then don’t sell them with that functionality and certainly don’t advertise that you need to wind it 40 times when it has stopped.

This screenshot I just took from their very own instructions…where they warn you about over winding on the purely Manual Wind watches but make zero such guidance on the Automatic.

IMG_5407.png

I love that they give terrible advice on how to break the product they sell :D

I love that they give terrible advice on how to break the product they sell :D
Yup!

I also wonder whether that’s 40 whole turns too? I didn’t dare wind mine more than 15-20 half turns.

I think that’s the key here. If you’re not meant to wind it then don’t sell them with that functionality and certainly don’t advertise that you need to wind it 40 times when it has stopped.

This screenshot I just took from their very own instructions…where they warn you about over winding on the purely Manual Wind watches but make zero such guidance on the Automatic.

That's true though again it's meant to only be wound that way sparingly - I think they expect once when first purchased and then maybe a few times a year.

As for overwinding - you can't overwind an automatic (otherwise, every single one would be overwound on a daily basis). There's a clutch that slips once it's fully wound; it often makes a clicking noise on these watches. On newer high-end watches it's fairly silent though

That's true though again it's meant to only be wound that way sparingly - I think they expect once when first purchased and then maybe a few times a year.

As for overwinding - you can't overwind an automatic (otherwise, every single one would be overwound on a daily basis). There's a clutch that slips once it's fully wound; it often makes a clicking noise on these watches. On newer high-end watches it's fairly silent though

Again, they don’t mention that it’s to be done sparingly either, they just state whenever it has stopped.

I appreciate the impossible to overwind point too, but then they go faulty after such a short period of minor winding.

This isn’t aimed at you btw, as you’re merely responding to my previous point and I appreciate that you’re just pointing out how the instructions should have been written.

Again, they don’t mention that it’s to be done sparingly either, they just state whenever it has stopped.

I appreciate the impossible to overwind point too, but then they go faulty after such a short period of minor winding.

This isn’t aimed at you btw, as you’re merely responding to my previous point and I appreciate that you’re just pointing out how the instructions should have been written.

I agree, it's careless and low-rent, just playing devil's advocate from their end. Hopefully the Cal 5 goes away and we move forward with Kenissi or LJP movements.

More worrying is that people in the boutiques routinely wind them.... no one has told them not to.

This thread has taken a detour and may need splitting…

Something isn’t adding up, I’m thinking the problem has to be more of a ratchet wheel material sourcing and/or production run issue versus a movement outright design flaw. There have got to be tens of millions of these movements in circulation. It can’t be that all will eventually self-destruct.

As a related aside, if you happen to have an exhibition caseback model with one of these movements, you can examine for wear yourself! Just check the teeth on the gold-colored ratchet wheel.
IMG_3267.jpeg

This thread has taken a detour and may need splitting…

Something isn’t adding up, I’m thinking the problem has to be more of a ratchet wheel material sourcing and/or production run issue versus a movement outright design flaw. There have got to be tens of millions of these movements in circulation. It can’t be that all will eventually self-destruct.

As a related aside, if you happen to have an exhibition caseback model with one of these movements, you can examine for wear yourself! Just check the teeth on the gold-colored ratchet wheel.
IMG_3267.jpeg
Like he said :D

Back on topic...
Sometimes I feel properly embarrassed for how “journalists” do their work in this day & age of social media and relentless competition for attention… :rolleyes:

Would have loved to at least get a glimpse of the actual store to get an idea of its size ::confused2::
Edited:

In related news: Existing stores also get a makeover, like the one in GVA (photo = mock-up of how it is supposed to look like at the end ???). During the renovation works (which are completely unnecessary in my book…) the store operates on an appointment-only basis in the back office.
3C21DE0A-2999-491D-90FE-63E5EA90C972.jpeg

The Skipper & Skeleton Monaco get high praise from these two. One of them even feels the Monaco is better than a Daytona! :eek:
They also talk about the challenge TAG has in going upmarket, having $25k watches sitting next to $2k watches etc. Quite relevant to this thread discussion.
Edited:

The Skipper & Skeleton Monaco get high praise from these two. One of them even feels the Monaco is better than a Daytona! :eek:
They also talk about the challenge TAG has in going upmarket, having $25k watches sitting next to $2k watches etc. Quite relevant to this thread discussion.
Is it just me that sees them refer to the “New Skipper” a fair number of times, when it is in fact the previous model on screen?

An ironic video from 3 weeks ago, from sane guys as above…

Is it just me that sees them refer to the “New Skipper” a fair number of times, when it is in fact the previous model on screen?
It was a mistake, they apologize for it in the comments. But in the video, it does make them seem like fools, gushing over the vintage original like it's the new model. LOL :rolleyes:

Having just watched more of the video I posted they ironically say don’t increase prices just sell the cheaper watches that everyone wants and then make it up on volume.

That’s pretty much the opposite of the TAG Heuer video. This does make me wonder whether the paid promotional content that the opening warning gives is the blatant plug or whether LVMH have paid them too, with the blatant plug masking said payment from LVMH…

The point I am trying to make isn’t aimed at bashing @Mspeedster for posting but that nobody can be trusted on YouTube, which is why TAG Heuer specifically get bashed often, as it’s clearly easy clickbait rather than honest opinion on design and quality of the pieces concerned.

“JLC is owned by Richemont, who are in the business of making money.

Who is TAG Heuer owned by and how well are that group doing!?!

“I remember the Reverso at 6, I don’t love it at 9”

Sound like a Monaco?

There are a dozen or so more quotes, especially towards the end, that I could use where they contradict themselves in this video vs the TH video.

I shall not watch another Theo & Harris video.
Edited: