The Shape of Things to Come

Where can you go to get a discount on a LV handbag? Nowhere. Where can you go to get a discount on a new Rolex. Nowhere. It's all about perceived value.
My wife wouldn’t want a LV handbag-or other overpriced model-she’d rather have more at say £100 a pop, TH will need a lot of boutiques to maintain sales, ok if you live in a city or more populated area but I’d be inclined to buy what is available in my local surrounds than travel past known reputable ADs of other brands.

Yup. As above.

I will NOT be hand winding mine again.
That sounds a bit… paranoid 😉

Millions of Sellita SW-200 are getting hand wound every day w/o breaking. I really cannot see how TH specifically could mess up that functionality and would tend to believe that you simply got extremely unlucky 😀

Millions of Sellita SW-200 are getting hand wound every day w/o breaking. I really cannot see how TH specifically could mess up that functionality and would tend to believe that you simply got extremely unlucky 😀
First Google hit as a definition. Highlighted bit is Google not me…

Is there evidence that hand winding caused the warranty repair I literally just had done after only 7 months? Absolutely!

It’s a known issue with the Calibre 5 in the Aquaracer. It’s not paranoia when it’s fact. 😉

Read the thread that was linked to in response to a previous comment from you on this, it is far from just me.
Edited:

Safe to say that the sellita sw200 has a built in design flaw causing some gears to eventually fail due to hand winding. The newer version SW200-1 was rumoured to have solved the issue but clearly it is still happening for people. My theory is that a built in flaw like this generates a lot of money for the watchmaking business since people might need to service their watches more frequently than what would be necessary if the design of the movement was made to last a decade or two.

Look up sellita sw200 on Calibre corner. Design flaw.

Great thread on this right now on Reddit, as it’s also happening with the Swatch Group Powermatic 80 movements, also based on the 2824.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/co..._app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=1&utm_term=1

Yes there is a design flaw related to hand-winding with the 2824, and
Yes that flaw is carried over to the Sellita SW200, and
Yes the SW200-1 tried to address it but did not remove the issue completely.

Basically the solution is, don’t hand-wind these regularly. Put them on a winder (search Amazon for them they’re like $40-60) and worry no more

Don’t worry @paysdoufs, you’re not paranoid, as all of those responses were meant for you. 😉

Well. It feels good to exist 😁

I skimmed the info available on CC and my take-away is pretty similar to the one from @abrod520 above, i.e.:
Yes the SW200-1 tried to address it but did not remove the issue completely.

So, considering the millions of watches out there that were equipped with a SW200-1 since 2008, I think it’s fair to say that the issue is exceedingly rare. Obviously, no manufacturer is save from being delivered a production batch that might have an issue with the ratchet wheels’ raw material. But if the base design was as flawed as is sometimes suggested, I’m pretty sure that it would be a recurrent subject in other forums, too 😉

Bottom-line: I don’t see a need to change my habits. Anyway - I circle through quite a number of different watches every month, so I guess every single watch I own, which is powered by a SW200-1, is being handwound no more than a couple of times per year.
Edited:

a couple of times per year
Can you please, in the name of science, just try and hand wind them every day for a couple of months? How many do you have? It would be incredibly interesting to follow such experiment 👍

Not that rare, until recently I only had 1 Cal 5 and my wife had an Oris with the ETA version. Both broke.

Can you please, in the name of science, just try and hand wind them every day for a couple of months? How many do you have? It would be incredibly interesting to follow such experiment 👍
I urge you to try the same @paysdoufs. Preferably one under warranty as wouldn’t want you to be out of pocket in the name of “science”.

I urge you to try the same @paysdoufs. Preferably one under warranty as wouldn’t want you to be out of pocket in the name of “science”.
Je vous aime bien, guys and I have dedicated most of my life to science - but that would be just too much work 😜

I’ll just stick to my routine of handwinding a couple of turns when I start a new automatic watch - whatever the caliber. IMHO no need to do >10 turns (or even 30 like someone suggested in that other thread)…

Je vous aime bien, guys and I have dedicated most of my life to science - but that would be just too much work 😜

I’ll just stick to my routine of handwinding a couple of turns when I start a new automatic watch - whatever the caliber. IMHO no need to do >10 turns (or even 30 like someone suggested in that other thread)…
Fair enough and for the best in my opinion. 😀

I will stick to the winder and be equally happy. You learn from experience at the end of the day.

So, considering the millions of watches out there that were equipped with a SW200-1 since 2008, I think it’s fair to say that the issue is exceedingly rare.

Well let's also consider that most of those are probably in watches that are worn every day thus avoiding the issue.

I do agree that your strategy of winding them a few times just before putting it on is probably fine - many of us like to have our watches already running (and set to the correct date / time) when we put them on though

If it’s a pervasive issue, Sellita and/or ETA should partner up with affected watch manufacturers to offer a low cost solution. They all should get ahead of this.

I’m already hesitant to buy another watch with one of these movements.

If it’s a pervasive issue, Sellita and/or ETA should partner up with affected watch manufacturers to offer a low cost solution. They all should get ahead of this.

I’m already hesitant to buy another watch with one of these movements.

Well, when you consider the idea of a selfwinding watch, not designing them with hand-winding in mind shouldn't be all that surprising.

In fact, many earlier automatic movements (and even budget ones from Seiko and the like into the 1970s) don't even have a hand-winding capability...

Watch collecting as we know it now is a recent phenomenon. But I do think that once a brand expects more than $3,000 for their watches they should be finding a better solution