The Shape of Things to Come

The article says that TAG hasn't increased their sales volume, that it's basically flat.
Agreed, that's the present situation but I'm alluding to the strategy going ahead - but then again, this is just a feeling.

I was also wondering if TH ever thought about their own formal pre-owned division, much like what Rolex has. It could be aimed at the Aquaracers, F1s and Cal 16 and 1887 models. It would make sense since TAG already offers 2 years warranty on their full service, which would definitely be an incentive for buyers not looking to fork out retail but still get the security.

There is definitely enjoyment value with the Boutique experience. I can totally understand that.

When you take a step back though, would you pay 4 figures for that Boutique experience, which is what it equates to in lost discount?
I hear you. It sort of depends on how often you buy and what watches you're after.

Many of the LEs, SEs and "limited availability" models are much easier to get via the boutiques. Having a good relationship increase ones chances of getting a hot popular LE model. It's tougher to get discounts on these at ADs, even if they carry them. Plus the more you buy from a boutique, the more royal treatment you get, such as invites to VIP events and dinners etc. Which in turn helps to ensure one keeps buying from them.

OTOH, for the more mainstream models and infrequent buyer, it probably makes a lot more sense to go for the discounts.

I hear you. It sort of depends on how often you buy and what watches you're after.

Many of the LEs, SEs and "limited availability" models are much easier to get via the boutiques. Having a good relationship increase ones chances of getting a hot popular LE model. It's tougher to get discounts on these at ADs, even if they carry them. Plus the more you buy from a boutique, the more royal treatment you get, such as invites to VIP events and dinners etc. Which in turn helps to ensure one keeps buying from them.

OTOH, for the more mainstream models and infrequent buyer, it probably makes a lot more sense to go for the discounts.
Have to agree all round there. Completely depends on what you’re looking to buy and how often.

Have to agree all round there. Completely depends on what you’re looking to buy and how often.

Up until a few months ago, I couldn't even see at a LE / SE in the metal. Boutique helped solve that problem.

Up until a few months ago, I couldn't even see at a LE / SE in the metal. Boutique helped solve that problem.
That’s fair enough, as I said, it depends on what you’re looking for.

It is interesting that the Boutique’s are “solving” that problem, by only sending the stock of said LE and SE pieces to the Boutique stores in the first place.

When a hype piece is released, if I bought up all the stock and sold them with a 10-20% markup, would I be part of the solution or part of the problem to start with. No need to answer that btw.

If I was adding something extra for the said 10-20%, which you perceive to be worth the extra, then your answer may be different. The issue is that the choice between the two has been actively taken away.

There’s two ways of looking at this. From the company’s point of view and from that of the customer.

As per the original marketing, if we disregard the growth in the market generally, from TAG Heuer’s point of view there is double digit growth from increasing prices and creating some difficult to obtain models with big hike in pricing. That appears to be working for them at the moment.

From the customer point of view, that’s not at all good news, on the assumption that you’re not buying solely because of the perception given/received by the price being very high.

Agreed, that's the present situation but I'm alluding to the strategy going ahead - but then again, this is just a feeling.

I was also wondering if TH ever thought about their own formal pre-owned division, much like what Rolex has. It could be aimed at the Aquaracers, F1s and Cal 16 and 1887 models. It would make sense since TAG already offers 2 years warranty on their full service, which would definitely be an incentive for buyers not looking to fork out retail but still get the security.

I'm sure there was talk of this, but it never happened. I think realistically they would only do this with Monacos and upper end Carreras though, I don't think there's enough money it for them to do the cheaper models.

I believe even TAG boutiques (Goldsmith owned) will discount models, but only if they have been around a while and the buzz has gone cold. So if you can wait for a regular model you might save yourself some money

I believe even TAG boutiques (Goldsmith owned) will discount models, but only if they have been around a while and the buzz has gone cold. So if you can wait for a regular model you might save yourself some money

Yep I managed 7.5% discount on the McQueen Monaco from such dealers (plus the additional straps) - maximum they were allowed to give apparently.

Oddly catching up on some old podcasts - 'About effing time' and one such episode was about underrated & overrated watches - question was on the best watch to recommend to someone who only wants 1 watch (not a collector) - Aquaracer was the one, on price point, name cache and brand histor. This may not be the case going forward though i guess.

Plus a better service experience IMO (my panda was expedited when I sent it back for the chrono minutes reset issue, and it came back in only a couple weeks) and FWIW, the overall experience is just better - I've been working with the same Boutique staff for a couple years now with minimal turnover. They're also really awesome and it's always a fun time stopping in.
Have also had similar experiences with other brand boutiques on 5th Ave / Madison Ave.

My Aquaracer developed the Calibre 5 cursed fault recently. I had it sent back via AD and it was back from TH within 16 days too. I bought mine with 20% off though.

17:37 - Andrew makes a very good point, everyone hates Hublot, everyone 'loves' Zenith. But people actually BUY Hublot. So LVMH look at that and why would they want to make TAG more like Zenith when they could make them more like Hublot? It's a business after all.

I don't understand the pricing strategy, which means I am not the target customer going forward. Surely there are plenty potential customers out there happy to spend crazy money on luxury items, and luxury in the 21st century means high price and branding. Quality and the actual product has nothing to do with luxury in today's world. A higher price means more exclusive and luxurious in this brand obsessed society of ours.

I really really wish we had someone on the inside at TAG or a similar big Swiss brand. What could the manufacturing cost be for a $9400 Monaco? Qualified guesses anyone? Perhaps $300, or even $450? Of course material and production cost of mass producing a cheap factory made product has nothing to do with luxury (high sales price and brand perception) but it is a curious thought what wonderful margins the luxury groups have for their products.

Anyway, what brand forum should we all move to? 😎 My next purchase might be a German one, German watch prices have gone up too but still reasonable compared to the Swiss madness.
You might like reading through this one:
https://www.fratellowatches.com/are-conglomerates-eroding-the-origins-of-luxury-watchmaking/

But that makes no sense, the article says TAG has double digit growth thanks to increased prices. Clearly it seems to be a very wise business decision to move into the luxury space and keep increasing the prices.
How long do you think you can (over)compensate declining volumes with ever higher prices? When does the cost of developing new models that sell in ever smaller numbers become prohibitive?

The luxury industry's whole thing now is charging more for less. Because it doesn't matter. No one gives a toss if shoes are handmade by craftsmen, what they care about is that they have Ballenciaga stamped on them... realistically there's nothing luxury about most of these watches we buy, they're all just essentially fashion items. But essentially, fashion items made by companies with a history. So because these companies used to make handmade products with care, it doesn't matter that now it's all made on a machine in China. Which is why people hate Hublot, cos they only started in 1980, they never made a film with Steve McQueen and they represent 'new money'.

You have to make sure you have the matching Balenciaga t-shirt 18 sizes too big too though.

How long do you think you can (over)compensate declining volumes with ever higher prices? When does the cost of developing new models that sell in ever smaller numbers become prohibitive?
I dont know mate, I just think it makes total sense. Do we know if extreme increase in prices is only to compensate for drop in sales? Or is it a matter of moving upmarket and reaching an audience that has a lot of money? I dont have any sources on the inside so I can only guess.

If I could sell my mass produced factory automated robot finished "luxury" product for 5k or I can sell the exact same product for 15k, what would I choose? Looking at the growth and success of LVMH I think they know exactly what they are doing and they seem to be masters of selling cheaply made mass produced luxury at high prices, luxury solely built on high prices and brand perception.

It seems like a no brainer to sell at 15k, except where you can sell significantly more at 5k. It’s those comparison numbers that really matter. By the sounds of it, they appear to have picked the best option from a short term point of view.

It seems like a no brainer to sell at 15k, except where you can sell significantly more at 5k. It’s those comparison numbers that really matter. By the sounds of it, they appear to have picked the best option from a short term point of view.
I don't know, if long term you want to build a proper luxury brand, perceived as exclusive and expensive, it feels like they are doing the right thing. That doesn't happen quickly but they have to start somewhere. In five to ten years the average sales price of a TAG Heuer could be 20k, only time will tell how it plays out. I don't think moving upmarket to reach luxury buyers is necessarily a short term gain. All over the world we see a dying middle class with weakened purchase power, perhaps it is not sustainable long term to rely on middle class buyers who only buy one or two of your watches per year.

I don't know, if long term you want to build a proper luxury brand, perceived as exclusive and expensive, it feels like they are doing the right thing. That doesn't happen quickly but they have to start somewhere. In five to ten years the average sales price of a TAG Heuer could be 20k, only time will tell how it plays out. I don't think moving upmarket to reach luxury buyers is necessarily a short term gain. All over the world we see a dying middle class with weakened purchase power, perhaps it is not sustainable long term to rely on middle class buyers who only buy one or two of your watches per year.
I hear you. Not rubbishing anything you’ve said. My only only point was that it depends on what your goal is. If it’s to become more high end then fair enough. If it’s to make more profit, then also fair enough. One doesn’t necessarily mean the other though, plus it takes some considerable time to elevate your brand past previous perceptions.

Good luck to them. I have no problem with whatever route they follow, other than losing me as a customer due to there being other brands out there I would rather buy for same money.

I am not a big hitter though, like others on here, so I won’t be missed by them.