The Shape of Things to Come

But that makes no sense, the article says TAG has double digit growth thanks to increased prices. Clearly it seems to be a very wise business decision to move into the luxury space and keep increasing the prices.
Frederic can cite double digit growth, but in the time he's been at the helm, TAG has dropped out of the top 10 and currently sits at #13. That means they're falling behind the competition, despite their growth.

It will be interesting to see the results in a year or two, time will tell. 😗

It’s very interesting when you consider the various slants that are applied when interviewed.

Double digit growth vs losing market share from rivals. Nicely put @Mspeedster

Perhaps there is something of the Lance Stroll syndrome at work here. TAG Heuer must be seen as a success while Frederic is there, otherwise it undermines his position. I imagine he will move on in the not too distant future and someone else will come in to take the fall. Then another new guy will come in and say the last guy screwed up all Frederic's good work, now we must reset and return to our position of entry level luxury. They just have to hope someone else doesn't take over that role while they are messing around.

As others have said, if they want to put the prices up they need to up their game. Quartz F1s are not worth £1400-£2200 and I wouldn't pay a penny more than the £2500 my green AR cost, not with the Calibre 5 movement.

The way prices were rising at the start of last year ('22), I had already decided my next new watch would not be a TAG. Just too many better alternatives for the money (IMHO). Also, pre-owned or vintage is where I was looking for TAG Heuer/Heuer. Then they came out with the Panda and I couldn't resist. But now I'm back again to my previous stance. Perhaps this new strategy will garner TAG new customers, but I'm afraid it may also alienate some of us long time fans.
I also had to break the bank for the panda, but I honestly can't see myself ever buying another Tag Heuer at retail again, however special it is. I really like the new Skipper, but it will have to halve in price before I get one. Likewise, not paying the best part of £3k for a solar quartz or a calibre 5 with a plastic movement holder.

Perhaps there is something of the Lance Stroll syndrome at work here. TAG Heuer must be seen as a success while Frederic is there, otherwise it undermines his position
I love this idea and comparison

The basic premise of a successful business is increase sales. This has to be done by maintaining you present customer base, while adding new customers. Alternately, you target a bigger volume of new customers while risking losing existing ones - which will still give you higher sales. I suppose TH is following the latter strategy. They know that the brand loyalists are not in the FOMO category and don't care about buying at retail. So rather focus your attention to the rich fat ducks.

LVMH knows full well that perceived value is more important than actual value. To people with money, the price tells them how good it is, so the more expensive it is the better they think it is. This is a known 'thing' in luxury goods unfortunately.

Exactly.

I guess it’s just relative to the disposable income you have, along with the will to actually investigate whether a purchase is worth it for what you actually get, compared with what you perceive you’re getting.

Not knocking anyone with silly money on hand so as not to actually care about anything but perception, or anyone who isn’t as anal about knowing the detail other than whether it looks nice.

Just that, for the rest of us who don’t fit that criteria, it’s getting questionable as to who gets our money next.

I can't see me moving away from TAG, but I will probably not buy new anymore.

That’s fair enough. The point of me starting this thread was not to encourage a mutiny, but to ascertain if others felt the same generally.

Why would I pay £2200 for a quartz Gulf F1 when I can pay (for example) £1600 for a mint SLR Calibre S with a two year warranty from WF? Can you imagine how much a Calibre S SLR would cost if it came out now? £3500 I'm guessing.... judging by the Solargraph prices.

Agreed, I've pretty much moved to buying on the secondary market. There's always the risk of you losing out on "preferential" treatment at the AD, but I've found the TH boutique managers to be sensible enough to see who the true enthusiasts are.

I think I can live without it.... it only really matters if you need to get limited editions.

Why would I pay £2200 for a quartz Gulf F1 when I can pay (for example) £1600 for a mint SLR Calibre S with a two year warranty from WF? Can you imagine how much a Calibre S SLR would cost if it came out now? £3500 I'm guessing.... judging by the Solargraph prices.
Honestly, I don't even go for WF or other mainstream pre-owned sellers. I prefer buying an even cheaper piece on eBay, C24, WUS, etc. and then send it in for a complete maintenance with TAG. You need to justify that £475 for a mechanical chrono service, but you get 2 year OEM warranty and peace of mind.

That works, as long as you are sure you're not getting a fake. That's my main reason for buying from a solid seller... (and the warranty obviously)

Perhaps this new strategy will garner TAG new customers, but I'm afraid it may also alienate some of us long time fans.

I completely agree.

The basic premise of a successful business is increase sales. This has to be done by maintaining you present customer base, while adding new customers. Alternately, you target a bigger volume of new customers while risking losing existing ones - which will still give you higher sales. I suppose TH is following the latter strategy. They know that the brand loyalists are not in the FOMO category and don't care about buying at retail. So rather focus your attention to the rich fat ducks.
The article says that TAG hasn't increased their sales volume, that it's basically flat. The added revenue growth has come from the increase in prices. Seems like a short term tactic, rather than a winning long term strategy to me.

However, the article also mentions that TAG has drastically reduced their point of sales, while increasing their own mono-brand boutiques. I think this strategy is working to some extent. The boutiques can greatly improve the customer experience. I've personally experienced this and it does make one feel more inclined to pay full retail at a boutique when given the VIP treatment. OTOH, I miss the days of an easy "Friends & Family" discount from Macy's, as this is the kind of AD that TAG seems to be getting rid of. Fewer discounts, greater profits.

The article says that TAG hasn't increased their sales volume, that it's basically flat. The added revenue growth has come from the increase in prices. Seems like a short term tactic, rather than a winning long term strategy to me.

However, the article also mentions that TAG has drastically reduced their point of sales, while increasing their own mono-brand boutiques. I think this strategy is working to some extent. The boutiques can greatly improve the customer experience. I've personally experienced this and it does make one feel more inclined to pay full retail at a boutique when given the VIP treatment. OTOH, I miss the days of an easy "Friends & Family" discount from Macy's, as this is the kind of AD that TAG seems to be getting rid of. Fewer discounts, greater profits.
I'm glad we finally have boutiques in Los Angeles (Century City and Woodland Hills).

Was at our local Bloomingdales on Saturday and there's a medium sized Ryan Gosling 60th Carrera signage and zero new Glassbox Carreras on display. Also no Autavias. Boutique helps tell the TH story vs. what looks like a generic counter at the department store.

There is definitely enjoyment value with the Boutique experience. I can totally understand that.

When you take a step back though, would you pay 4 figures for that Boutique experience, which is what it equates to in lost discount?