The Enabler Thread

I think we're starting to see the end of the flipped prices on the TAG limited editions. I've seen £5000 Monaco Titan, a £5500 C11 French Blue Monaco and now the Night Driver. I'm quite happy with this back to reality trend. Means more Monacos for me in the future 😎

I think we're starting to see the end of the flipped prices on the TAG limited editions. I've seen £5000 Monaco Titan, a £5500 C11 French Blue Monaco and now the Night Driver. I'm quite happy with this back to reality trend. Means more Monacos for me in the future 😎
Yes it certainly is good with a reality check but boy what a massive hit the suckers who buy new need to take when they decide to sell 😁

Yes it certainly is good with a reality check but boy what a massive hit the suckers who buy new need to take when they decide to sell 😁
That’s the problem now. The over inflated new price now looks ridiculous and will certainly devalue the brand in the long term as the percentage cut between new and pre-worn tells a story that depreciation is worse than ever.

Reality being that it is merely the market settling. Main issue being that they can’t suddenly reduce RRP back to somewhere more realistic without losing face, not that they want to anyway.

Interesting times ahead.

Of course, TAG Heuer are not the only brand seeing residuals tank, I get that, but the rapid multiple price rises they have instigated makes it more prominent than most.

That’s the problem now. The over inflated new price now looks ridiculous and will certainly devalue the brand in the long term as the percentage cut between new and pre-worn tells a story that depreciation is worse than ever.

Reality being that it is merely the market settling. Main issue being that they can’t suddenly reduce RRP back to somewhere more realistic without losing face, not that they want to anyway.

Interesting times ahead.

Of course, TAG Heuer are not the only brand seeing residuals tank, I get that, but the rapid multiple price rises they have instigated makes it more prominent than most.

I wonder how much those £10,000 Monaco skeletons will settle at? The Dark Lord dropped to mid £5000s fairly quickly...

They can't really drop prices - especially not the amount they need to because that will affect pre-owned values even more, what they can do is release new watch ranges at a lower price point. That's what they did in 2015 when they launched the modular Carrera. I remember JCB telling us all how the H01 Skeleton should be £8k (based off the Grand Carreras) but was only going to be £4000 making it a great value proposition.
But launching new ranges isn't what the watch industry does nowadays, they only want to make new dials. So I don't know what they are going to do. It's not like they can create a new cheaper 'Monaco' either...

Only thing they can do is increase prices. I say they need at least to double or triple all prices in the next five year period to have any chances of staying relevant.

IMO there should not be a Carrera or Monaco below the 25k price range and the Aquaracer should be priced from 10k. Formula 1 should be dropped from the catalogue entirely, luxury is not about allowing the poor to purchase cheap shitters for 2k.

They can't really drop prices - especially not the amount they need to because that will affect pre-owned values even more, what they can do is release new watch ranges at a lower price point. That's what they did in 2015 when they launched the modular Carrera. I remember JCB telling us all how the H01 Skeleton should be £8k (based off the Grand Carreras) but was only going to be £4000 making it a great value proposition.
But launching new ranges isn't what the watch industry does nowadays, they only want to make new dials. So I don't know what they are going to do. It's not like they can create a new cheaper 'Monaco' either...
In a sense, they already did this with the new Aquaracers, for which the list prices were barely increased despite the new features…

In a sense, they already did this with the new Aquaracers, for which the list prices were barely increased despite the new features…

True, but the Heuer 01s were way more dramatic.