The 39mm Glassbox Carrera thread

That's true, technically I bought one and immediately sold it to Jim.
Yep, Jim bought his pre-owned effectively.

I've always been one for inclusion rather than exclusion. The rules of the game weren't that clear to me anyway. Ownership was implied by the request to post a picture of your glassbox, but I don't think it was specifically stated.

Yep, Jim bought his pre-owned effectively.
And Rob always gives me shit for not buying used crap rather than brand new!

I've always been one for inclusion rather than exclusion. The rules of the game weren't that clear to me anyway. Ownership was implied by the request to post a picture of your glassbox, but I don't think it was specifically stated.

I did post a picture of a glassbox.... technically not mine admittedly

I was kind of making it up as I went along tbh. When I posted my top 10, I hadn't thought of collating results or a points system yet!

I was kind of making it up as I went along tbh. When I posted my top 10, I hadn't thought of collating results or a points system yet!
Sounds pretty spot on with F1 :thumbsup:

Hence another Formula 1 season ends in controversy, albeit the race for second place. :p

Getting back on topic. I made these mock-ups back in 2020 for what I wanted to see for this series. One eventually got made. The other, well, didn't.
CBK221B_panda.jpg CBK221B_revpanda.jpg

The anthracite would have been fantastic, @imagwai.

The anthracite would have been fantastic, @imagwai.
Cool - now I don’t have to cite myself anymore to hijack the conversation… ;)

So how about this one - would this also still be bottom of the table?
98B99AA4-ECAA-4E2E-A610-C193CA0280B8.jpeg

It's better, but the Montreal dial still doesn't quite work for me in a Carrera.

I would like it better if you removed all of the yellow and replaced with white instead.

The Montreal seems least loved on this forum, but it has its fans. In TAG Heuer's Instagram holiday poll from a few years back, it actually scored higher than its beloved Silver sibling. This was just a snapshot, the final outcome was 52% in the Montreal's favor. Go figure?
20211202_105505.jpg

That blue racing rally strap on your Montreal is how that watch should've come. Looks awesome!

The Montreal isn't that popular on this forum. But I have a feeling it has the potential to develop a following in time. Just as the Paul Newman Rolex Daytona was very unpopular when initially sold (before it was known as the Paul Newman).

The two were both somewhat dismissed in favor of their more mainstream counterparts. It will be interesting to see how all these Carreras are viewed 10 years from now.
Montreal v Daytona.jpg

Thanks! On the blue strap for the Montreal, I actually had to order a few, until I found the right shade and texture. The picture says is all! I think the Carrera Montreal is underrated. I only place the Dato above it, because it was a pretty faithful re-edition.

What a collection! Do you wish you had the missing two? Such a shame they have to be kept in a vault. I would wear a different colour every day. :)
Yes, think the Skipper would have been a good one to have; at the time it bothered me that it only had 1 sub-register and I didn't buy it when it was released. As for the Blue Dreamer I originally passed on it, because it had cream subdials and I figured it was possibly one of many more to come. Oh well! We'll see what this year's collection brings.

Thanks! On the blue strap for the Montreal, I actually had to order a few, until I found the right shade and texture. The picture says is all! I think the Carrera Montreal is underrated. I only place the Dato above it, because it was a pretty faithful re-edition.
It looks like a TAG Heuer strap, or is it aftermarket? I would think all the TAG straps would be basically the same texture & shade of blue, no?

Yes, think the Skipper would have been a good one to have; at the time it bothered me that it only had 1 sub-register and I didn't buy it when it was released. As for the Blue Dreamer I originally passed on it, because it had cream subdials and I figured it was possibly one of many more to come. Oh well! We'll see what this year's collection brings.
That's the thing about the Skipper & Blue Dreamer, at the time I thought they were too playful and colorful. But with hindsight both have grown on me, especially the Skipper. That's why I wonder if the Montreal's playful dial might become more appreciated as time goes on as well.

Wonder how these lists will change once the new (non-heritage branded) Glassbox shows up this year ::stirthepot::

It looks like a TAG Heuer strap, or is it aftermarket? I would think all the TAG straps would be basically the same texture & shade of blue, no?

That's the thing about the Skipper & Blue Dreamer, at the time I thought they were too playful and colorful. But with hindsight both have grown on me, especially the Skipper. That's why I wonder if the Montreal's playful dial might become more appreciated as time goes on as well.
It's an after market strap. I believe it's: Watch Strap World Item Number ~ 1737
19/18 mm DARK BLUE SPORTS PERFORATED LEATHER STRAP to fit TAG Heuer CARRERA x 1

+1 on what you said on the 2nd paragraph.

I’m quite curious of sir @Hubert ’s ranking. You’ve ranked all Calibre18 Glassbox at the bottom. So I guess it speaks about your preference of the movement? I’m glad the scoring really varies among Glassbox chronos with the Panda King, Ice King and Dato King consistently trending on the top :thumbsup: Others might appeal due to personal preferences.

In fairness to the Telemeter, I don’t think TAG Heuer makes any dial similar to this, champagne-silvery and at times brush dial. It’s dial color is very similar to what Matt Damon (Shelby) wore in the movie. I find it very comfortable, keeps accurate time and also can keep up with any get-up I wear ;) I still think it is very beautiful compared to some old vintage designs :)

To those who are prioritizing money and value, it has kept its value and still rising in some markets :cool:

That's why I wonder if the Montreal's playful dial might become more appreciated as time goes on as well.

This is why I have my eye on a Montreal at the moment. I'm surprised they are at the cheaper end of the Glassbox models. Only 1000 pieces opposed to 1860 of the Ice King.

I’m quite curious of sir @Hubert ’s ranking. You’ve ranked all Calibre18 Glassbox at the bottom. So I guess it speaks about your preference of the movement? I’m glad the scoring really varies among Glassbox chronos with the Panda King, Ice King and Dato King consistently trending on the top :thumbsup: Others might appeal due to personal preferences.

In fairness to the Telemeter, I don’t think TAG Heuer makes any dial similar to this, champagne-silvery and at times brush dial. It’s dial color is very similar to what Matt Damon (Shelby) wore in the movie. I find it very comfortable, keeps accurate time and also can keep up with any get-up I wear ;) I still think it is very beautiful compared to some old vintage designs :)

To those who are prioritizing money and value, it has kept its value and still rising in some markets :cool:
My ranking was primarily based on the aesthetics.

The subdials of the Heuer02s are more separated than the C18's (and yes this is due to the movements). This makes the H02 dials look larger and better proportioned than the others.
upload_2023-2-3_21-48-1.png

They also made the subdials smaller and got rid of the contrasting chapter ring after the Fragment, to prevent the dial from looking even smaller from the robbed visibility of the glassbox milky-ring.
upload_2023-2-3_21-49-55.png

On the other hand, the Telemeter's subdials are oversized, which make the dial look cramped, when compared to those in the H02 and the ones in the Blue Dreamer's and the Skipper.
upload_2023-2-3_21-47-8.png

This makes the Telemeter's dial look bloated, which is the opposite of what it needs, as the glassbox ring and the recessed edge already make the watch look tiny.
upload_2023-2-3_22-3-43.png

I agree sir that there are minute improvements in the details :thumbsup: and probably the last and (best iteration?) of the Glassbox is the Panda King? ;)