Forums Latest Members
  1. stevec14

stevec14 Dec 19, 2023

Hi Guys - as the title suggests, I am looking to come across to see what I’ve been missing. If truth be told, I had a panda in my checkout and then changed my mind at the time, which having seen them is a bit of a regret.

Am flipping in between 3 models Ice king, Dato and panda.

The chances of finding a panda at a reasonable price are slim, however there is one from a Japanese reseller on chrono which looks reasonable, to my untrained eye looks legit and even with the U.K. tax wouldn’t be an intolerable amount over mrsp. Has anyone here dealt with ally? The reviews seem ok and it goes through the chrono escrow acct etc.

Else I’ve seen a 160th in silver, obviously cheaper (about 2.5k cheaper) and it looks lovely.

I’ve also seen David’s Dato on here which looks lovely too. Right in the middle price wise but I wonder whether that is the most dressy of the 3. I’m usually more drawn to black dialed watches, but am not sure how this would dress down.

mts Steve c 14 likes the Dato the best, and she’s usually a good judge. I do like the quirkiness of it.

in my mind my adventurous side is saying have a pop at the panda with the benefit (?) of chrono 24 backup albeit I’m no fan of paying over mrsp for a watch.

my head says either of the other 2 (both U.K. options) would be better (if the Dato was available).

as those that own, know and love these watches any thoughts as to ownership etc. I know it’s my choice btw, but interested to get some thoughts.

I am less keen on the green, red or Montreal really
    So it’s a shoot out between the 3.

Jim Dollares and imagwai like this.
  2. YY77

YY77 Dec 19, 2023

Isn't it more important what Mrs stevec14 thinks instead of your mistress?::book::

This should probably be Allu.

3. McBeardy

McBeardy Dec 19, 2023

4. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Dec 19, 2023

Hey Steve

You've picked the best of the attainable models I reckon.

1. The Pamda is probably the Model that most of us have been waiting on for many years and it didn't let us down when released in Jan of this year. That would be my Pick first. LE to 600 pieces is also great and paying slightly over Retail isn't such a bad thing once you have it on the wrist and appreciate how good it is.

2. The Ice King is also LE to 1860 pieces not as exclusive as the other pieces in your consideration but it's also a beautiful piece and a classic. Winner of WOTY. The fact you can get it fairly reasonably priced is also a bonus as there are more available on the market.

3.The Dato is the most exclusive of the 3 being LE to 250 pieces. I haven't seen many on the market in the past 2 years. Maybe 3 or 4. This is the only one with the Black dial which you said you tend to be drawn to. It looks good either dressed up or down. Also looks great on the Uncle Beacelet.

Probably haven't helped much in making your decision easier but for me I would go the Panda.
    Personal opinion only.

Good luck on deciding and I hope someone else can add more to help you decide. 1000012861.jpg 1000013109.jpg 1000013110.jpg

kappa_md and stevec14 like this.
  5. stevec14

stevec14 Dec 19, 2023

It is allu of course - damned auto correct!

and I can’t afford a mistress…..

6. YY77

YY77 Dec 19, 2023

Haven't dealt with this particular seller but I find japanese sellers (who have the product in hand) very reliable and C24 is on your side so would buy with confidence.

paysdoufs and stevec14 like this.
  7. imagwai

imagwai Dec 19, 2023

I think David's Dato is priced very enticingly given this was a limited Hodinkee release. I'd snap it up in a second if I didn't have the panda. I think it will dress down or up personally.

That said, you should probably go for the one you like the best even if that means spending a bit more. 160th you should be able to pick up for about £4k of maybe just under if you bargain hard. Buying from Japan is often a way to snag a bargain and most sellers are reliable there, but obviously add 20-25% for vat and import charges.

paysdoufs and stevec14 like this.
  8. abrod520

abrod520 Dec 19, 2023

Having owned all three I think the silver 160 is the dressier option IMO and also the most versatile just like the original Carreras. The Dato is very well done too and maybe a little more fun. The Panda was well done but was the same sunburst silver as the 160 whereas the original 2447SN was the eggshell white base. I've never been that big a fanboy of the original Pandas as I don't think they are the essential Carreras, so I ended up moving it on when I needed to raise funds. I'd def have kept it if I could've, but TBH I miss the new Skipper more.

kappa_md, paysdoufs and stevec14 like this.
  9. stevec14

stevec14 Dec 19, 2023

Panda on way and not from Japan. Can’t wait…

Albert-AMG, imagwai, abrod520 and 6 others like this.
  10. Jemagloh

Jemagloh Dec 19, 2023

Congrats, @stevec14! Nice way to cap off 2023.

Anthony.R and stevec14 like this.
  11. stevec14

stevec14 Dec 19, 2023

Indeed - am pleased. The one I wanted and cost a few quid more but not settling for once. Can’t wait for it to arrive and really looking forward to wearing it (including the H02 wobble/ rattle)

12. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Dec 19, 2023

Great choice Steve, I am sure you will love the feeling of owning and wearing a proper glassbox. The panda also has a marvelous silver dial.

stevec14 likes this.
  13. stevec14

stevec14 Dec 19, 2023

Yeah - I can join the church….hoping it gets here for Christmas. Really looking forward to it. It’s my kind of watch so can’t wait.

14. bpsmith

bpsmith Dec 19, 2023

stevec14 likes this.
  15. Anthony.R

Anthony.R Dec 19, 2023

@stevec14 Makes you the 28th Member to own one in the Forum. Congratulations.

imagwai and stevec14 like this.
  16. stevec14

stevec14 Dec 20, 2023

Awesome - I’m in good company then! Can’t wait

Anthony.R likes this.
  17. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Dec 20, 2023

I would have said the EXACT same thing. Having a shot at a Dato (in addition: at that price) is RARE. Hope you can get in touch with DC (I tried on another matter but w/o any luck so far).

PS: Even almost a year later there’s still something that bugs me about the Panda's look. So, still no regret for not having pulled the trigger…

EDIT: Too late :p But welcome to the community and enjoy!! :thumbsup:

18. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Dec 20, 2023

Just got early access to the Watchfinder sale, 3 of the 15 items are green Glassbox Carreras! Guess they don't sell themselves.

19. paysdoufs

paysdoufs Dec 20, 2023

At least not at Watchfinder prices (which are not set in stone, btw)... ;)