TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 02 Montreal Limited Edition CBK221C

It's in French, but still might be of interest
The blue of the strap looks really good in this video.

The blue strap looks pretty good but imo the Mondrian Carrera would look nicest on a blue or perhaps even yellow nato. Best casual Summer Carrera since the Hodinkee skipper.

It's in French, but still might be of interest
Love how delicately they are handling the watches - with the pillows and the gloves. Then when done with the 160 - Slap it on the counter crowns down :D

Chunkier than I imagined. Seem to have a bit more ‘heft’ than the tele18 of similar size. Finish Looks good!

The silver looks bloated and the Montreal looks diminutive. If TAG Heuer wants to do these heritage Carreras right, they need to redesign the glassbox and its oversized tension ring to make it less intrusive.

Omega did several improvements on their new Ed White reissue that TAG Heuer should take note.

The silver looks bloated and the Montreal looks diminutive. If TAG Heuer wants to do these heritage Carreras right, they need to redesign the glassbox and its oversized tension ring to make it less intrusive.

Omega did several improvements on their new Ed White reissue that TAG Heuer should take note.
That Ed White is nice, but a lot of peole have questioned whether the improvements justify a price many times more expensive than a regular Speedmaster. I guess it's a true collectors piece, and I suspect they've done their homework and will sell them. You can have a Speedmaster Trilogy edition for about a third of the price, though.

Whilst Tag can certainly learn from the likes of Omega and Tudor, I sincerely hope they don't decide to go down a similar route with the pricing of their re-editions.

That Ed White is nice, but a lot of peole have questioned whether the improvements justify a price many times more expensive than a regular Speedmaster. I guess it's a true collectors piece, and I suspect they've done their homework and will sell them. You can have a Speedmaster Trilogy edition for about a third of the price, though.

Whilst Tag can certainly learn from the likes of Omega and Tudor, I sincerely hope they don't decide to go down a similar route with the pricing of their re-editions.
The Ed White re-issue shouldn't be that expensive; I get that they used rose-gold in the 321 movement, but I would have happily taken non-precious metals to make the price more in-line with the Trilogy offering. That said, if the rumours are to be believed, this may just be the first indication that the price of the upcoming Speedmasters will be increased.

In the end, TAG Heuer should continue refining the heritage Carrera line and resolve some of the shortcomings of the original models. We've seen noticeable improvements since the Telemeter, so they should just continue with the refinements in the crystal and the case (reduce depth and make the lugs more proportioned to the rest of the enlarged body).

The Ed White re-issue shouldn't be that expensive; I get that they used rose-gold in the 321 movement, but I would have happily taken non-precious metals to make the price more in-line with the Trilogy offering. That said, if the rumours are to be believed, this may just be the first indication that the price of the upcoming Speedmasters will be increased.

In the end, TAG Heuer should continue refining the heritage Carrera line and resolve some of the shortcomings of the original models. We've seen noticeable improvements since the Telemeter, so they should just continue with the refinements in the crystal and the case (reduce depth and make the lugs more proportioned to the rest of the enlarged body).
Agreed. To take a leaf from Omega's book and do a proper WIS piece...

Keep 39mm case size for Carrera
Remove the automatic module of the Heuer02 and make manual wind (doubt they'd do this for a niche model, though)
Reduce the thickness of the case
Plexi crystal as opposed to sapphire to remove the milky ring
Solid caseback
Panda dial :)

Remove the automatic module of the Heuer02 and make manual wind (doubt they'd do this for a niche model, though)
Solid caseback
For me the key adjustments would be on a redesigned crystal and straighter / more elongated lugs.

Yes having plexiglass option would probably work, or maybe exploring other materials like Gorilla glass?

But if we stick to sapphire, then having a straighter-angled edge (less domed) would alleviate the dramatic loss of visibility prevalent with the current glassbox.
933266-26f69ae4dc18b9d1c09ad8442261d2d9.jpg

1010659-49d816d6e697d9330c57e6d8bf5992e1.jpg

more like this
933262-ab648a08b5df0688da1705796a6e2e2d.jpg

This is what Omega does to avoid this issue with their Speedmasters; sapphire (left) vs Plexiglas (right).
661219-6d639b8db8c4d28f569f2344feeaa47f.jpg

And TAG Heuer should find a way to reduce the substantial "milky ring" by adjusting the tension ring location, to avoid the visible area-loss.
1016276-6359d96c5474a1d84e2a2824b884b56b.jpg

1016272-871f7478982d96781e5269ad4694d954.jpg

Look at how much better this would be!
1016278-24e9b925fd8c0fa08a65aab133042eec.jpg

Originals.
1010330-d15514a48c1de1075d25b5ff9e3125b4.jpg

And here's what the dials could have looked without the glassbox ring. Much closer to the original 60s look!
1010331-b271b8c0a77224cb2bdf4b59eda65cd7.jpg

Look at how much better this would be!
1016278-24e9b925fd8c0fa08a65aab133042eec.jpg

Originals.
1010330-d15514a48c1de1075d25b5ff9e3125b4.jpg

And here's what the dials could have looked without the glassbox ring. Much closer to the original 60s look!
1010331-b271b8c0a77224cb2bdf4b59eda65cd7.jpg

My favorite post of the month!

Just had the call from my AD. The Monty and the 160 both inbound at the end of the month!

But if we stick to sapphire, then having a straighter-angled edge (less domed) would alleviate the dramatic loss of visibility prevalent with the current glassbox.
933266-26f69ae4dc18b9d1c09ad8442261d2d9.jpg

This is the issue, the curve. Not the tension ring - the tension ring is the key design point on the Carrera, being where the minute / chrono seconds track is located. The issue with the glassbox is that this curve is not transparent when viewed head-on, so it obscures the tension ring.

Solid caseback

Well the H02 isn't modular, so converting it to manual-wind could be a bit more work than we might think. I personally think it'd be worth it of course, but TAG would probably not be able to sell more than a handful of these watches since they'd probably only really appeal to the vintage nerds like us :)

I, however, am casting my vote for the display back! I think the H02 movement is worthy of being seen - especially so if it were our fantasy manual-winder!

As for the crystal, see my post above... the issue with the crystal is its design, not material, so if they must go with sapphire it's fine; just needs to be redesigned. (Badly)

Well the H02 isn't modular, so converting it to manual-wind could be a bit more work than we might think. I personally think it'd be worth it of course, but TAG would probably not be able to sell more than a handful of these watches since they'd probably only really appeal to the vintage nerds like us :)

I, however, am casting my vote for the display back! I think the H02 movement is worthy of being seen - especially so if it were our fantasy manual-winder!

As for the crystal, see my post above... the issue with the crystal is its design, not material, so if they must go with sapphire it's fine; just needs to be redesigned. (Badly)
Could definitely compromise on the caseback. And probably the crystal if well done. This was my fantasy piece, though.

I don't mind the glassbox crystal. If @Hubert wasn't constantly complaining about it, I don't think it would bother me at all.

If you're used to vintage Carreras, it might - it's a very weird effect viewed head-on.

That picture from @Hubert really brings home the problem with glassbox, I had never quit managed to work out why I wasnt convinced by the design previously - it's the milky ring.

My main takeaway from this thread is I need to buy a jh80/81