TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 02 Montreal Limited Edition CBK221C

Maybe not, but a 41mm 3 hander with minimal bezel will wear very big

Not so. Ever tried on a 40mm Grand Seiko? Very nicely proportioned, those. In reality, the devil's in the details:

upload_2020-12-17_13-44-42.png

That bezel is a solid 2mm on either side. So in fact, this 41mm watch will actually wear much closer to 38 or 39.

upload_2020-12-17_13-47-40.png

Because of the angled bezel, this style of watch tends to feel much more attached to the wrist, more spread-out. I'm no big fan of Rolex but can confirm on other watches with similar designs, it's a very nice effect indeed.

driven by the desire for people to flash their cash rather than by anything that represents comfort and decency. The bold colours also scream "look at me!".

Well if you ask me any modern Rolex is about flashing cash, full stop. But don't forget, they still make the OP in smaller sizes too from 36mm on down to 28. As for the colors, also don't forget that Rolex still makes the Day-Date, and even within the OP lineup one has a choice - there's a bold red and an eye-catching yellow sure, but there are also very handsome deep blue and green options. I think Rolex just wanted to spice up this otherwise mostly overlooked model

There's a line around the block at LV near me and everyone is pretty young and dressed like they're going to Claire's boutique in the 90s. It's wild.

And are they buying the pleasantly-designed loafers, briefcases and suitcases they made their name on? No. They're buying logo-festooned sneakers and handbags

Not so. Ever tried on a 40mm Grand Seiko? Very nicely proportioned, those. In reality, the devil's in the details:

upload_2020-12-17_13-44-42.png

That bezel is a solid 2mm on either side. So in fact, this 41mm watch will actually wear much closer to 38 or 39.

upload_2020-12-17_13-47-40.png

Because of the angled bezel, this style of watch tends to feel much more attached to the wrist, more spread-out. I'm no big fan of Rolex but can confirm on other watches with similar designs, it's a very nice effect indeed.

Well if you ask me any modern Rolex is about flashing cash, full stop. But don't forget, they still make the OP in smaller sizes too from 36mm on down to 28. As for the colors, also don't forget that Rolex still makes the Day-Date, and even within the OP lineup one has a choice - there's a bold red and an eye-catching yellow sure, but there are also very handsome deep blue and green options. I think Rolex just wanted to spice up this otherwise mostly overlooked model
They still make the 28? I thought it was just 31, 36, 41 now?

36 in my opinion is perfect for this watch. But I appreciate people with larger wrists would want something slightly bigger. 41 still seems overkill to me.

They still make the 28? I thought it was just 31, 36, 41 now?

And a 34mm still, too.

upload_2020-12-18_9-40-42.png

So the 39 may be gone but there are plenty of options

So the 39 may be gone but there are plenty of options
Unless you want something bigger than a 36 and smaller than a 41 ;)

I like that the dial proportions of the 36mm and 41mm are similar. They don’t just use the same hour markers as Tudor does with the BB 36 vs 41. It completely changes the watch. The BB41 looks awful against the 36.

Unless you want something bigger than a 36 and smaller than a 41 ;)

Yeah, shame all the enormous stock of previously-produced OP 39s vanished into thin air the moment the 41mm replacement was announced :p