TAG Heuer Carrera Heuer 02 Montreal Limited Edition CBK221C

14.7mm thick is fine for me. And please no “fatboy” comments :D:D
Thickness measurements can be deceiving. I don't mind the crystal adding to the height so much, but cannot abide slab sides. The 39mm Carreras are borderline acceptable imo. I sold my 41mm JH80, solely due to the side profile of the case, though. :(

Thickness measurements can be deceiving. I don't mind the crystal adding to the height so much, but cannot abide slab sides. The 39mm Carreras are borderline acceptable imo. I sold my 41mm JH80, solely due to the side profile of the case, though. :(

You need to get your JH80 back sir @imagwai ;) It’s
not so bad IMHO. I’m quite lucky I was able to still get one in near mint condition :thumbsup:

You need to get your JH80 back sir @imagwai ;) It’s
not so bad IMHO. I’m quite lucky I was able to still get one in near mint condition :thumbsup:
What's worse is that I bought it new at RRP, sold for a loss, and they're selling for more again now :)

I don't think I'd buy another, though. This picture kind of demonstrates the issue I had with it. Just found it a bit too chunky. In bygone days, watch manufacturers would have done everything possible to minimise the size of a watch and design the case to fit as seamlessly on the wrist as possible (to try and disguise it, even when it was a beast). Nowadays, they mostly seem to want to make them stand out!
DSCF0740_2.JPG

Just found it a bit too chunky.

Yeah, I found it horrible when I tried on the Cal 17 Chronometer years back. They look great from the front but from the sides, kinda gross.

All 160th Anniversary reviews I've read subtracted points for how tall they are.

See above! Like @imagwai said, thickness and slab sides aren't the same thing - my IWC is insanely thick but it's well-designed, and doesn't feel it on the wrist.

I like the perforated strap of the Telemeter vs the 160 strap TBH

Easily enough remedied ;) The croc strap on the 160 is very nice compared to past offerings though - it (and the deployant clasp) feels very much worthy of the $6500 price point. But I do agree that a perforated strap would have been better, preferably with a tang buckle.

Thickness

2E442380-18AA-4BFD-90A4-D5AE24422F10.jpeg

Really not bad IMO, feels just about right for a 39mm chrono.
I'll raise you. 15.8 mm cal 360 41mm

What's worse is that I bought it new at RRP, sold for a loss, and they're selling for more again now :)

I don't think I'd buy another, though. This picture kind of demonstrates the issue I had with it. Just found it a bit too chunky. In bygone days, watch manufacturers would have done everything possible to minimise the size of a watch and design the case to fit as seamlessly on the wrist as possible (to try and disguise it, even when it was a beast). Nowadays, they mostly seem to want to make them stand out!
DSCF0740_2.JPG
I have the same problem with the Autavia H02. I've been really tempted by the Viceroy; every time I try it on I want to buy it. Until I view it from the side and see how tall it looks on my wrist.

Thickness

2E442380-18AA-4BFD-90A4-D5AE24422F10.jpeg

Really not bad IMO, feels just about right for a 39mm chrono.
Yeah, that doesn't look too bad at all. But do you have thick or slim wrists?

So generally speaking, are we okay with a 'Montreal' in a Carrera case? I was expecting much more moaning about it...

yep. Like them both. Still not sure which I prefer. The first glimpse I saw of the Montreal a few weeks ago I though WFT? But the more photos I see, the more I like it. It brings a nice contrast to the range. certainly added to the wish list. Just a matter of time.

So a thumbs up from me

Those of complaining about thickness. All armatures! Try the PO chrono for size, that’s around 19mm!!!!

these new Carreras are slim Jims by comparison.

I'll raise you. 15.8 mm cal 360 41mm

Hah no I mean I think the thickness is just fine :D

That, however, is quite slabby.

I have the same problem with the Autavia H02. I've been really tempted by the Viceroy; every time I try it on I want to buy it. Until I view it from the side and see how tall it looks on my wrist.

I've actually come to not mind it too much, and the Viceroy is now on my list. I think it wears very well on a strap.

Yeah, that doesn't look too bad at all. But do you have thick or slim wrists?

Granted, my wrists are huge. And if you're used to 34 or 35mm watches then maybe it's large, but as I said the thickness is just about what you'd expect from a 39mm chrono - unless you're used to 7750s :eek:

Great photos @abrod520
You bought a really nice watch.
It’s obvious from your photos that simply making the case (or back ring) thinner won’t do the trick. The lugs would have to be redesigned as well.
In any case great watch with a stunning dial. A worthy Carrera heritage piece.

::facepalm2::::facepalm2::
Hah no I mean I think the thickness is just fine :D

That, however, is quite slabby.
My bad::facepalm2::.

yep. Like them both. Still not sure which I prefer. The first glimpse I saw of the Montreal a few weeks ago I though WFT? But the more photos I see, the more I like it. It brings a nice contrast to the range. certainly added to the wish list. Just a matter of time.

So a thumbs up from me
Feel the same way when I first saw it, and then let it sink in and appreciate how fun it is.

When I bought the Aquagraph I thought it was massively thick at 16mm, but then it's like a watch with another bezel on top... but these Carreras are catching up with it...

Feel the same way when I first saw it, and then let it sink in and appreciate how fun it is.

yes the bright blue and the yellow really work. Makes a nice change from far more subtle colour schemes of old. Having choice is good.

So generally speaking, are we okay with a 'Montreal' in a Carrera case? I was expecting much more moaning about it...

Nope, it's just all wrong :(

It’s not a Montreal in a Carrera case. It’s a Carrera inspired by the Montreal. A great tribute. It doesn’t say Montreal on the dial so I don’t understand what the fuss is about.
Maybe in 20 years we’ll all like big brushed cases again and the Montreal might return in some form but for now this is the way to go.