Other Watches / Other Brands

From the book...

'Long ago Ward had become infected with what is known in some circles as the horological virus. An obsessive fever that brought kings to their knees and lovers to ruin and turned mighty industrialists to putty, it began simply with ownership of one watch and led without reservation to the desire to own every variation and then to own something that nobody has ever held.
'

Strike a chord with anyone?

From the book...

'Long ago Ward had become infected with what is known in some circles as the horological virus. An obsessive fever that brought kings to their knees and lovers to ruin and turned mighty industrialists to putty, it began simply with ownership of one watch and led without reservation to the desire to own every variation and then to own something that nobody has ever held.
'

Strike a chord with anyone?
Printed on napkins handed out by Horologists Anonymous :D

Currently hating on the music in the latest Watches of Switzerland youtube ads... why do wristwatches always have to be represented by the worst kind of hipster jazz?

Space Bear (2).JPG
About 12 years ago I went to Zurich and there was this 'teddy bear' festival thing going on all over the city. There were hundreds of custom painted teddies on the streets and this was one of them done by Omega (obviously).

I see the new Bell & Ross watch is getting mocked on social media, chiefly for looking like a Nautiloak. So first the CODE 1159, and now the B&R... it seems the watch community is hellbent on sending the industry the message 'we don't want this, just give us more re-issues'. Maybe that's not true, maybe people just don't like the new watches, but I fear the industry will give up and revert to re-issuing the last remaining watches they haven't already dredged up for fear of being ridiculed by the masses. I wonder when Rolex will gather up the nads to release a genuinely new model, and when they do I wonder what the reaction will be. I bet if they released the Skydweller now the Memes would be harsh!

I see the new Bell & Ross watch is getting mocked on social media, chiefly for looking like a Nautiloak. So first the CODE 1159, and now the B&R... it seems the watch community is hellbent on sending the industry the message 'we don't want this, just give us more re-issues'. Maybe that's not true, maybe people just don't like the new watches, but I fear the industry will give up and revert to re-issuing the last remaining watches they haven't already dredged up for fear of being ridiculed by the masses. I wonder when Rolex will gather up the nads to release a genuinely new model, and when they do I wonder what the reaction will be. I bet if they released the Skydweller now the Memes would be harsh!
I think the BR05 will be a hit! The bashing is a bit silly to me. I mean, most dive watches have very similar elements to them but the 70's integrated bracelet steel sport watch-kind of thing is not nearly as common as dive watches so apparently those design elements are only allowed in the RO and nauitilus...

It was to be expected. These days people just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind. Yes at first it looks like a Nautilus. Probably mostly due to the Nautilus style integrated bracelet. But then you notice all the typical B&R elements. Eventually you realize the watch shares nothing with the Patek, AP, Cartier and other proclaimed inspirations. Even the bracelet is similar to their Space 1. They’re simply tapping into an existing segment which consists mostly of very expensive and hard to come by watches. As a mid range brand that might be a smart move. The execution is flawless in any case. I marvelled at one at a local AD the dat it was announced.

It was to be expected. These days people just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind. Yes at first it looks like a Nautilus. Probably mostly due to the Nautilus style integrated bracelet. But then you notice all the typical B&R elements. Eventually you realize the watch shares nothing with the Patek, AP, Cartier and other proclaimed inspirations. Even the bracelet is similar to their Space 1. They’re simply tapping into an existing segment which consists mostly of very expensive and hard to come by watches. As a mid range brand that might be a smart move. The execution is flawless in any case. I marvelled at one at a local AD the dat it was announced.
What did you think of the dial size? In photos the proportions seem a bit off with the dial being a bit too small

It’s chunky, a lot of case, but I think that’s the whole idea. It’s a badass take on the integrated bracelet watch. I think they nailed it. For a B&R fan this is a no-brainer.

It looks bob-on to me, but that's because I think all B&R look fugly anyway!

This watch has been comforting me for 20 years through good and bad times !!
837EB981-788E-493E-AA26-3397581304AA.jpeg

I kinda like the BR5. Albeit only the black dial (possibly the skeleton dial too), with full marker and bracelet. Won't use the strap if i ever own one.

I'll pass on the blue dial.

Recently my mind has been "poisoned" (excuse my selection of words. No disrespect) by microbrands....:confused:

Steinhart, Spinnaker, Meccaniche Veneziane. Etc etc

I never own any microbrands...(except if you count Linde Werdelin as microbrands)

Do you guys have any favorite micro brands ?

So far, i am liking Meccaniche Veneziane the most. But i don't own them, at least not yet.

Recently my mind has been "poisoned" (excuse my selection of words. No disrespect) by microbrands....:confused:

Steinhart, Spinnaker, Meccaniche Veneziane. Etc etc

I never own any microbrands...(except if you count Linde Werdelin as microbrands)

Do you guys have any favorite micro brands ?

So far, i am liking Meccaniche Veneziane the most. But i don't own them, at least not yet.

I've had a few Dan Henry's. His 1964 chronograph and 1963 Aviator. Both a good value for the price. Sold them both 'cause my TAG's always seem to be on my wrist. :D

PS........Also check out Straton.

Baltic, Yema (micro?), Unimatic, Méraud.
Yeah Yema seems interesting.

Love the style of Baltic, but my friend own the chronograph and it broken in just two months so i don't dare to try.

Love the Seagull chrono movement by the looks of it though.

The new Omega Seamaster James Bond watch was announced today. Seemingly overshadowing the launch of the 4th Monaco 50th watch in the news. Both watches are about the same in price. Anybody buying the new Bond watch?
00-omega-watch-release-james-bond-007-gq-september-2019-092419.jpg

The new Omega Seamaster James Bond watch was announced today. Seemingly overshadowing the launch of the 4th Monaco 50th watch in the news. Both watches are about the same in price. Anybody buying the new Bond watch?
00-omega-watch-release-james-bond-007-gq-september-2019-092419.jpg
Waiting for next year's model.