Forums Latest Members
  1. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 26, 2019

Yeah, I think going after Patek would be a bad idea. Patek is reknowned for the craftsmanship of it's product, Rolex really isn't, at least not in the same way. But on the other hand, I agree with him about the fact that people are clearly prepared to pay a lot more for their Rolexes than they are being charged at the moment...

2. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Jul 26, 2019

On another forum I look at::shy:: which Rolex biased shows this, years on a waiting list or pay grey market premium is an almost daily question, Rolex and I aren’t going to meet, tried one and passed, not for me. Overhyped brand?

3. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 26, 2019

I like Rolex, but the current situation is ridiculous. ::rant:

I had my name put down on two so called waiting lists the very day a particular model was announced at Basel. Only to later learn that the first come first served type of waiting list means nothing now.

For the pieces in demand, mainly their sports watches, It's all about who has spent the most money with the AD and Rolex. My local dealer, said they still have clients who've spent well into 6 figures USD on the top of their list. It's been several years that I've been on the list, but at this rate I'll never get it. :mad:

4. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Jul 26, 2019

I’ve heard stories were the AD smiles sweetly and promises a place on the list, as soon as the client turns their back ‘the list’ loses a name and the hopeful buyer hears nothing, spending silly amounts at the AD on available watches and expensive trinkets guarantees nothing. Many other watch brands with models available are out there and most-to me- are more desirable although to the masses the makers name may mean ‘Who?’

5. ASW

ASW Jul 26, 2019

Rolex is not a company in the traditional sense, but a registered charity so answers to no one and subsequently doesn’t have to reveal anything to shareholders, the public or the tax office. Simply put, no one outside of the NDAed employees know, so everything about what they’re up to, do they this, so they that, is speculation - including how many they make. Guesstimates are approx 1mil a year so they are a mass produced, factory produced product. Far from PPs reach in that respect.

SS are the in thing, so everyone wants one, real enthusiasts, keeping up with the Jones buyers and out the back greys buying them up. All of this has resulted in demand outstripping supply - like it did before with the current in phase. It’s nothing new, just social media has brought it to the mainstream. That said, you generally only hear of “the AD told me I have to spend x amount to be able to buy this SS” etc and barely any “I waited a week and got this SS”. Rolex forums are strange old places, generally full of pessimism.

You can get SS within a reasonable period directly from an AD, people just don’t report it. And when they do, the forums generally shoot those folks down as liars or boasting, so others don’t report it. The phrase there’s no news like bad news springs to mind.

Of course anyone can buy a SS GMTII tomorrow if they want - just need to pay almost double to a grey dealer - and I wonder where they got the stock so quickly.....

Edited Jul 26, 2019
  6. imagwai

imagwai Jul 26, 2019

Not at MSRP. Whilst I don't know which model you're after, you can usually get hold of one grey market quite quickly if you're willing to pay a premium, though. I know it's not ideal, but it's cheaper than spending 6 figure sums on watches you don't want with an AD ;)

7. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Jul 26, 2019

I can't help but think this 'shortage' is largely caused by watch sellers hoarding stock in the hope it rises and rises (I know Roman Sharf said he is buying every El Primerio Daytona he can get his hands on to manipulate the market - albeit that is vintage, but still).

8. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 1, 2019

9. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Aug 1, 2019

Wow, you got Tudor pelagos ?

10. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 1, 2019

Nope, my friend has though... check out the lumeshot!
    IMG_5456aaa.jpg

11. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Aug 1, 2019

Two great shots.:)

Aquagraph likes this.
  12. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Aug 3, 2019

imagwai likes this.
  13. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Aug 10, 2019

This one is a Carrera ringer beauty
    upload_2019-8-10_0-7-12.png

Mspeedster, OttoWilliam and imagwai like this.
  14. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 14, 2019

[​IMG]
    New Swatch, looks a bit Carreraish to me...

Nonsense, El Matarife and Mspeedster like this.
  15. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 24, 2019

Just started reading a book called 'A Grand Complication' by Stacy Perma. It's about the race to build the Supercomplication pocket watch.

16. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Aug 24, 2019

Is it any good?

17. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 24, 2019

I've literally just started reading it, the first chapter is largely about the auction at Sothebys.

18. Mr_Orange

Mr_Orange Aug 24, 2019

Ah OK. I'll ask again in a few weeks :).

19. OttoWilliam

OttoWilliam Aug 29, 2019

Please write an article about your impression of it...we will be waiting ;)

20. Aquagraph

Aquagraph Aug 29, 2019

I will do Otto, I guess it's not entirely surprising but it's going quite in depth about the history of the man who commissioned it, Mr Packard (as in the Packard Motor Co).