Other Watches / Other Brands

If it's £2000+ then it'll go through eBay authentication programme. As long as you're not buying an Aquaracer then you should be fine. 😀

If it's £2000+ then it'll go through eBay authentication programme. As long as you're not buying an Aquaracer then you should be fine. 😀
I really don’t trust the Authentication Programme. If they can’t spot a fake Aquaracer, then literally anything can slip through.

I really don’t trust the Authentication Programme. If they can’t spot a fake Aquaracer, then literally anything can slip through.
I'd argue the Aquaracer super fakes are some of the hardest to spot as they're so close, though. Maybe they can tell, who knows, it's just I wouldn't really trust anybody to get that one right. And Rolex upwards I actually think that's easier. Grand Seiko, very easy to tell genuine from fake because the genuine ones are finished so well, a fake isn't going to come close.

I'd argue the Aquaracer super fakes are some of the hardest to spot as they're so close, though. Maybe they can tell, who knows, it's just I wouldn't really trust anybody to get that one right. And Rolex upwards I actually think that's easier. Grand Seiko, very easy to tell genuine from fake because the genuine ones are finished so well, a fake isn't going to come close.
I hear you on the difficulty, when they’re so close, but they are supposed to be the experts so should be able to spot them almost every time. Sadly they do not.

Who is to say that only Aquaracers are commonly faked to a decent quality? In this forum we focus on TAG Heuaaaa but I presume the world is flooded with excellent fake Longines, Tissot, Oris etc. Anything popular with a generic Sellita or ETA is probably open for Chinese business. If authentication experts can't spot a fake Aquaracer, why would they be able to spot a fake Hydro Conquest?

Who is to say that only Aquaracers are commonly faked to a decent quality? In this forum we focus on TAG Heuaaaa but I presume the world is flooded with excellent fake Longines, Tissot, Oris etc. Anything popular with a generic Sellita or ETA is probably open for Chinese business. If authentication experts can't spot a fake Aquaracer, why would they be able to spot a fake Hydro Conquest?
There are definitely fake Tissots out there. And they can be quite tricky to spot as well. Although, the fakers tend to stick to cheaper popular models like the PRC200. The more expensive Tissot chronos aren't going to be convincingly faked. And eBay authenticaion only kicks in for higher value watches.

Do we know that they don't spot the fake Aquaracers? I'd hope they would too, but when you have a fake that uses a genuine movement and gets close in every other way, then I probably wouldn't trust them 100%. But then I wouldn't trust anybody to authenticate these (except perhaps Tag themselves and a couple of people on the forum).

I think my point about Grand Seikos and higher value watches still holds, though. For now at least. Fakes get better over time.

There are definitely fake Tissots out there. And they can be quite tricky to spot as well. Although, the fakers tend to stick to cheaper popular models like the PRC200. The more expensive Tissot chronos aren't going to be convincingly faked. And eBay authenticaion only kicks in for higher value watches.

Do we know that they don't spot the fake Aquaracers? I'd hope they would too, but when you have a fake that uses a genuine movement and gets close in every other way, then I probably wouldn't trust them 100%. But then I wouldn't trust anybody to authenticate these (except perhaps Tag themselves and a couple of people on the forum).

I think my point about Grand Seikos and higher value watches still holds, though. For now at least. Fakes get better over time.
I agree about GS and higher end brands, movements made inside a house alone will make it a lot more tricky for the Chinese to make a perfect copy.

Wish some baller forum member could pick up a handful of fake Aquaracers and have them go through Ebay's authenticator experts so we could witness how they handle it

I agree about GS and higher end brands, movements made inside a house alone will make it a lot more tricky for the Chinese to make a perfect copy.

Wish some baller forum member could pick up a handful of fake Aquaracers and have them go through Ebay's authenticator experts so we could witness how they handle it

Let’s find some eBay adverts for good fakes over the 2k threshold and 14day returns, then go watch shopping 😁

I was impressed with the eBay authentication when I bought my bb ceramic. They confirmed it’s a genuine watch and raised an issue that the watch was not as described (‘as new’) and pointed out some near invisible scratches, and asked if wanted to continue. I haggled with the seller and accepted the watch…if it’s a fake, I can’t tell.

I've also been impressed with the authentication service. But I've never bought or sold a fake watch so can't vouch for how they would handle this. You have to assume they have a decent amount of knowledge though.

Let’s find some eBay adverts for good fakes over the 2k threshold and 14day returns, then go watch shopping
I am not sure but I dont think the authentication service is even offered for Swedish crime bay customers. They are rolling it out to more markets, Germany among the next IIRC they said on ABTW weekly

Well we dont even have ebay in sweden I think, here it goes under the name Tradera and there are often some wonderful fakes for sale 👍

Ok, so looking at this differently, if a watch “confirmed” not to be fake by this service, then turns out to actually be a fake when serviced X number of years later…will they refund your purchase cost?

"Years later", probably not. I would imagine it would be very difficult anyway. The whole point of their authentication service is that it's definitive. How are they then to know whether you have swapped out the watch and then later claim it's a fake and keep the original. This is the reason I wouldn't buy an Aquaracer except direct for Tag/AD or without categoric proof of it originally being sourced from there.

Only way to get security then is to send it to the manufacturer for service right away

Only way to get security then is to send it to the manufacturer for service right away
Yeah. Either that or spend a little more and buy new from AD 😜

Yeah. Either that or spend a little more and buy new from AD 😜
Yes indeedio

What should poor people do though? LOL Swiss watches are not for poor people jk