New TAG Heuer CEO

Where did you get that Frederic is 28? All the articles say he's 25. His older brother Alexandre is 28.
Oh, mixed that up I suppose.
Dang I would have been a horrible CEO at 25

Heres hoping he doesn’t go full connected on us.

My thoughts exactly when reading that he had a lot to do with the new Connected watch. Lets hope he will not go further with smartwatches and higher margins coming from producing more stuff in Asia

Good thing is that Bianchi will essentially remain in a position with some control over what happens at TAG, and it sounds like there have been some excellent other moves in the movement development area and others.

However, in the case of 'the boss's son' taking over, I think we can be optimistic. Bernard Arnault is a pretty sharp guy from a business standpoint, and we can hope that he's taught his sons well. Sounds like it's already the case with Rimowa so we'll see. Has nothing to do with being rich of course!

Oh, mixed that up I suppose.
Dang I would have been a horrible CEO at 25

Here's hoping he doesn't go full Alec Monopoly on us.

What fearless big risks do you hope that he will take that will have a tremendous upside for TAG Heuer?

Better straps and clasps would be a start.

Better straps and clasps would be a start.

Cost aside, as that applies to any OEM accessories, what is your problem with the current straps and clasps?

Cost aside, as that applies to any OEM accessories, what is your problem with the current straps and clasps?

To be fair I can't really comment on current. All I can say is based on my own experience. And whilst my view on TH/HH reissue strap and clasp quality is well documented on this forum - discussed it more than once so no real need to derail this thread - Put simply I purchased all of my TH/HH of last 24 months from an official retail outlet. It was an "affordable" (relative term) way to get more for less. Only one was purchased at full RRP from the TH website. All except one had what I consider (for the price, even with outlet store discounts), comparatively thin straps "generic" straps and a relatively flimsy - and "generic" although mostly functional deployment clasp.

The watches in no particular order were:

Grand Carrera Cal 36 RS (by far the best finish, strap and clasp -but it was much more expensive both outlet and original RRP).
Monaco (REF. CAW211C)
Both Carerra Cal 17 (REF. CV5110, CV5111).... Yes I do love the design!!!!
Carera Tele 18 (REF. CAR221A)

All 4 of the above would have retailed around £4.5k or slightly higher - which when you consider their age would be approx a £5k watch in today's money.
All 4 had more or less the identical straps (only change was the inner lining shade).
All 4 had identical pressed clasps. NONE of which close 100% of the time on the first go. But I get used to it.

(I'll take some photos a little later and add them to this posts - can't find the Monaco though so will only be the Carreras).

Edit: added said photos
Edited:

Is making better straps and clasps a fearless big risk? :D

I suppose it depends on what it involves. If it involves R&D, increased cost of production in an attempt to "list" the quality perception of the brand - then if it does not pay off, then yes that could be considered a big risk as it would impact margins and reduce revenue. Though I'm sure they could up the per watch strap and clasp budget from $10 a piece to $15 and not break the bank :-)

can't find the Monaco though so will only be the Carreras
Typical problems on a Monday, luxury watches all over the place so cant find some of them :rolleyes: wish I had a similar problem :D

I find the titanium clasp on my Heuer01 to be really excellent. Not yet owned a heritage piece though so cant make any comparison

Typical problems on a Monday, luxury watches all over the place so cant find some of them :rolleyes: wish I had a similar problem :D

I find the titanium clasp on my Heuer01 to be really excellent. Not yet owned a heritage piece though so cant make any comparison

had to have a re-org in the home so probably been put in its box and stored at the back of a cupboard somewhere! Will have to hunt for it now.

Glad to hear that the more recent clasps are good/better. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the 160th Carrera later this month. That piece looks to be the biz! It'll also be my first "Cal 02" watch. Hoping it will tempt me away from a DSOTM as I need more TH in the box! ;-)

To be fair I can't really comment on current. All I can say is based on my own experience. And whilst my view on TH/HH reissue strap and clasp quality is well documented on this forum - discussed it more than once so no real need to derail this thread - Put simply I purchased all of my TH/HH of last 24 months from an official retail outlet. It was an "affordable" (relative term) way to get more for less. Only one was purchased at full RRP from the TH website. All except one had what I consider (for the price, even with outlet store discounts), comparatively thin straps "generic" straps and a relatively flimsy - and "generic" although mostly functional deployment clasp.

The watches in no particular order were:

Grand Carrera Cal 36 RS (by far the best finish, strap and clasp -but it was much more expensive both outlet and original RRP).
Monaco (REF. CAW211C)
Both Carerra Cal 17 (REF. CV5110, CV5111).... Yes I do love the design!!!!
Carera Tele 18 (REF. CAR221A)

All 4 of the above would have retailed around £4.5k or slightly higher - which when you consider their age would be approx a £5k watch in today's money.
All 4 had more or less the identical straps (only change was the inner lining shade).
All 4 had identical pressed clasps. NONE of which close 100% of the time on the first go. But I get used to it.

(I'll take some photos a little later and add them to this posts - can't find the Monaco though so will only be the Carreras).

Edit: added said photos
Which one of the 4 did you consider to be acceptable? I'm curious because I really love TH's rally strap. I haven't found an aftermarket rally strap that I like better. I have no issue with the TH clasp either.

If many were complaining about TH's straps/claps on this forum before, I must have missed it. So I'm a bit surprised that this is your biggest gripe with the brand.

I too love the TH rally strap and clasp. Whether in 20mm or 18mm size, it's perfect to me and suits the Carrera down to a tee. DSCF1645b.jpg DSCF1316.JPG

Which one of the 4 did you consider to be acceptable? I'm curious because I really love TH's rally strap. I haven't found an aftermarket rally strap that I like better. I have no issue with the TH clasp either.

If many were complaining about TH's straps/claps on this forum before, I must have missed it. So I'm a bit surprised that this is your biggest gripe with the brand.

@Mspeedster

All 4 of the Rally straps are the same - in terms of construction quality and design. Only difference is slight variation in the perforation pattern or colour of the lining layer (one is red, two are Beige/Gary and another is all black). So each is as acceptable as the other. The gripe I suppose is since buying Omega I expect a bit more. Had the purchases been "at time of launch" then the price points would not have been that far apart. So as far as bang for buck, I feel that TH skimps a little. It is simply a personal opinion. To be honest my comment above was a little tongue in cheek. I think @Jim Dollares may have gotten the "joke".

@imagwai

I love the design too. I think it is great. I just (personally) would prefer a slightly better finished clasp and strap. Completely agree that the look suites the watch perfectly. There must be something seriously wrong with me if I'd buy 4 watches with the same strap design in the space of 12 months if I did not like it lol.

I just wish the straps were a bit more 'robust" and opened/closed as smoothly as my Omegas. I don't wear them as often as I would like for that reason. Maybe I am just too picky, unlucky to have 4 duds or am just taking the piss. :)

All,

To all others who did not (get the slight joke, somewhat rooted in past opinion) - I apologise if it has caused any offence. Please note when I joined. A day or two after my month or so after my first watch purcahse in over 20 years (it was the Monaco that I can't find).

But I'm not a fanboy who only likes just one brand or who sees no wrong with favourite brands. I'll overlook the "cheap" non-inhouse movement in all the THs' I own. Matters not a jot. I buy mostly based on the design I like and the fact Tag was an important brand in my early life.

/end

PS If I had not come across this wretched place I'd be a damn sight richer. You're a horrible bunch of enablers!

:p:whipped:

Trying not to be judgmental here but with critical thought for that is young for a CEO.

Knowledge is a product of school, wisdom is a product of experience.

Let’s hope TH and LVMH have a good mentor program.

M.

Mr J. Heuer was only 29 when he took the helm of the company. And the rest as they say is history..... exceptional people don’t always need years and years of experience before they can do great things. Not saying that’s the case here, but it can happen. We’ll know in year or two.

The gripe I suppose is since buying Omega I expect a bit more.
I think thats quite common when people move up in price range and you suddenly feel less for the cheaper stuff they used to love blindly. Tag is a brand where you pay most of the high price tag for design and brand, not fancy movements and high finishing and quality.

Tag is a brand where you pay most of the high price tag for design and brand, not fancy movements and high finishing and quality.

Ermm, that is almost every brand. Approx 50% of RRP is marketing, sponsorship, brand, etc.

Ermm, that is almost every brand. Approx 50% of RRP is marketing, sponsorship, brand, etc.

Makes sense. Take away the margin and 5% watch.

I think thats quite common when people move up in price range and you suddenly feel less for the cheaper stuff they used to love blindly. Tag is a brand where you pay most of the high price tag for design and brand, not fancy movements and high finishing and quality.

I suppose my biggest gripe - and I have only myself to blame - is the age old ‘caveat emptor’ for not doing more research on what I was getting ‘for the money’.

so there may be a bit of buyer’s remorse from a value for money perspective. in other words perceived value for money.

Had I bought them all at full RRP with little discount I’d probably be far more concerned. I still love the Carrera and Monaco designs. But that’s what I like. My respect for the TH brand itself has gone down the pan. Have huge respect for the heritage pre TAG. Always will. The modern brand seems to have lost its way along the years and struggles to find an constant identity. Something I’ve only picked up on since joining this forum and doing research into watches, brand history, and the industry as a whole.

The whole mass market industry is a bit if a ‘scam’ (not being truly 100% swiss. Bar a few very elite brands).

It has just taken a bit of mental adjustment and if I’m honest tarnished some of the enjoyment. But got over it.

far more judicious now on what I choose and how I purchase.

Still love the Heuer part if the brand though. Just my respect and appreciation for the TAG part if the brand has diminished.

but as there are more ‘heritage’ options in the pipeline I’ll pay more attention and see if they interest me. Carrera design is almost the perfect watch (to my eyes). And I tend to buy on design and appearance Above all else.

After buying first HH Monaco - a design I had admired for years but could never afford. I then went looking for a Daytona as that was another design I really liked when

walked away from a Rolex Daytona (ignorant of their tactics at the time) that I had to spend 1,000s on ugly watches to build a ‘relationship’ with the dealer or wait years to buy what I wanted. I walked across the street to buy an Omega. I wanted a nice watch, not some bragging rights or an ‘investment’.

a case (no pun intended) of recalibration of expectation on my part once faced with reality.

@Mspeedster
All 4 of the Rally straps are the same - in terms of construction quality and design. Only difference is slight variation in the perforation pattern or colour of the lining layer (one is red, two are Beige/Gary and another is all black). So each is as acceptable as the other.
Exactly, they're all basically the same kind of strap. So all 4 should either be acceptable for you or not. But you said "All except one", that's why I was curious and confused by what you meant.