Forums Latest Members

New Post: TAG Heuer Monaco 50th Anniversary Watch 3: 1989-99 Limited Edition

1. Jim Dollares

Jim Dollares Jul 13, 2019

@Mspeedster big congrats to an amazing piece, what a great addition to your collection! Awesome photos as well, thank you for sharing ::bleh::

Mspeedster likes this.
  2. heuerholic

heuerholic Jul 13, 2019

That is a great piece, Mspeedster. Big congrats on that purchase Sir and the circumstances around getting it.
    I can understand your feeling in terms of excitement as Ive just experienced it myself.
    Whenever I see, what I like to term the "Blue jeans" version in a macro shot I get very excited by that dial.
    As a lot of us passionate collectors will possibly only get to see 1 of the 5 watches due to their scarcity, I say one day we have a get together and have a little 50,s party of our own. Maybe Tag Heuer could set a side a little from their marketing budget to pay for a few beers and some cheese and crackers for us.

3. ASW

ASW Jul 13, 2019

Wearing this today at a wedding whilst also receiving the good news a 90s is waiting for me :)

873D9B5E-B91A-4B5A-8929-2C617297EF29.jpeg
  4. abrod520

abrod520 Jul 13, 2019

Must be a great job - Heritage at TAG Heuer - just do nothing all day as you watch them pump out Alec Monopoly watches!

imagwai likes this.
  5. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Jul 13, 2019

6. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 13, 2019

Congrats on the 90s, you won't be disappointed!

ASW likes this.
  7. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 13, 2019

Thank you guys!!!! I really appreciate it! :)

Glad you both like my photos! I don't feel I'm anything close to being a good photographer, but I try...

I still think you're the one who brought me the luck, with your early but foretelling congratulations. ::rimshot::

Blue jeans version, I can see that now. But I've already nicknamed my watch "Martini Racing". Awesome idea to have a Monaco 50s collectors club party, if it happens, count me in! :thumbsup:

Edited Jul 13, 2019
    Ara and Remo like this.
  8. TonyStark

TonyStark Jul 13, 2019

Yes I agree I would like to see more from the heritage side of the brand

9. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 13, 2019

Here are my initial impressions of the watch:

While the dial doesn't have the attention grabbing flare of the gorgeous blood red dial of #2 or the allure of the beautifully hypnotic Côtes de Genève dial treatment of #1, this dial pulls you in with all its little details. When I first saw the reveal photos, I wasn't sure if I liked the asphalt finish, but I now feel its a real highlight, very unique and one of the best things about the dial. In most photos the dial looks like concrete, but in person under brighter lighting, there's a silvery metallic appearance to it, kind of like silver ore.

Another thing that might not come across in photos is the sub-dial detail. The inner squares are actually further indented from the blue outline squares, giving it a stepped 3D like affect. I also like the look of the sub-dial outlines, which reminds me of the white faced Rolex Daytona's sub-dials, albeit squares instead of circles.

The strap completes and integrates the overall look. To me, the strap is very racy looking and another real highlight. I have no issues with the quality of the leather. It has a smooth fine grain finish and feels nice to the touch. @Hubert described the strap on #2 as asperous, which I'm not really seeing or feeling on my strap. It is stiffer compared to the standard Monaco's calf strap, but I think that has more to do with the inner strap material rather than the leather.

The only nit I have is the font used for "Monaco" on the dial. I wish they had used the vintage font as on 1 & 2. Instead, it uses the modern font. I guess that makes sense, since the modern re-edition Monaco was reintroduced in the '90s. But I also wish the font lettering was thicker. The thin letters are not as visible as I'd like because the of the uneven asphalt surface treatment of the dial. The vintage font is used on the caseback, so I'm happy with that. Another thing to point out is the only lume on the watch is on the hands. There's no lume on the dots, something I'm not used to, but not really a nit.

Overall I'm super happy with the watch! I can't stop looking at it. I also have a renewed appreciation for 1 & 2 and can't wait to see 4 & 5. Although my piggy bank is now empty, so this will be my one and only Monaco 50.

10. Tag_ZA

Tag_ZA Jul 13, 2019

Great write-up, thanks for all the info.

Mspeedster likes this.
  11. Pitfitter446

Pitfitter446 Jul 13, 2019

The lack of lume would bug me too, still a small price to pay, no beauty is perfect.

Mspeedster likes this.
  12. sharknight

sharknight Jul 13, 2019

I have just picked up my #3 and have to agree with Mspeedsters first impressions, it is a lovely timepiece and as others have commented so much nicer than the early pictures we all saw.
    If the Monaco 50 club gets off the ground, count me in as well !
    I took a picture a short while ago of the new addition with his slightly older brother #1... IMG_5251.jpg .

13. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 13, 2019

Big congratulations! Did that book come with it? If so, I need to bug TH about why I didn't get one.

sharknight likes this.
  14. sharknight

sharknight Jul 13, 2019

It did but I had to ask for it - they did not have any but managed to get one in for me

Mspeedster likes this.
  15. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 13, 2019

OK, I guess when you buy from the TH Boutique you get goodies like that. But since mine was ordered from TH on-line, maybe not?

16. Mspeedster

Mspeedster Jul 13, 2019

Even though there's glare on the crystal, this is the best photo I could take to try and show how the asphalt dial can look like silver ore under certain lighting.
    DSCN0697.JPG

Edited Jul 13, 2019
    Jim Dollares, Albert-AMG and Hubert like this.
  17. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jul 13, 2019

^ Moon-Dust™. ;)

18. Albert-AMG

Albert-AMG TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jul 13, 2019

or SilverStone, specially this weekend! ;)

19. Hubert

Hubert TAG Heuer Forums Moderator Staff Member Jul 13, 2019

Great choice! :thumbsup: This could have been the better reveal event.

sharknight, Mspeedster and Albert-AMG like this.
  20. heuerholic

heuerholic Jul 13, 2019

Nice photo and a very nice pair of watches.
    Your well placed to join the 50,s party if it ever gets off the ground:thumbsup:
    Where did you get the heuer scarf? I sourced one last year out of Japan but have never seen another so am curious to know where you got yours.

Also with the book situation, I managed to get one from a boutique in AUS. but in Japan where I got my Red 50th Monaco, they hadn’t heard of or seen that book. Didn’t know what I was referring to. So if you want one Mspeedster, go and bug your local Boutique if you have one, with your watch on and put on the puppy dog eyes. :(:(

Mspeedster likes this.